Author Topic: I'm so bored! I hate revision!  (Read 13225 times)

emgee

I'm so bored! I hate revision!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 11:04:28 pm »
Quote from: "AndyF"

The country is very much richer now, why could we afford it then but not now?

The country may be but the people aren't. In say 1960 most people could raise a family on one persons wage now it takes most people two peoples wages.

Offline Cave_Troll

• forum hero
  • SUSS
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/cave_troll/
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 09:52:06 am »
Quote from: "emgee"

The country may be but the people aren't. In say 1960 most people could raise a family on one persons wage now it takes most people two peoples wages.

Excelent point.
prbably down to our higher expectations. most families now expect to pay £40 / month + on phone, cable TV, broadband + HD TV, DVD, mobiles phones for mum dad and the kids, PC, two cars Central heating, holiday in the sun etc

BenM

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 01:31:55 pm »
Mwahahahaha (evil laugh!)...
Finished my last exam EVER yesterday - so no more revision  :lol:, but no more uni  :( ! Uh oh!

emgee

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 02:45:57 pm »
Quote from: "BenM"
Mwahahahaha (evil laugh!)...
Finished my last exam EVER yesterday - so no more revision  :lol:, but no more uni  :( ! Uh oh!

You could always become a post grad. Worked for me for an extra four years.

Offline Katie

• forum star
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 02:59:33 pm »
Today my revision has been going much better!
I revised one lecture's worth of notes and then the doorbell rang.....

It was a nice parcel man bringing me 6 big boxes sent out by Lyon equipment for our expedition in June.

I HAVE spent the rest of the day playing and handing out shiny things.....

I WILL spend the rest of the day playing with and handing out the shiny things in my bedroom.....

Whats biodiversity again?

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 03:07:19 pm »
Whats biodiversity again?

Dunno. Ask Mr Horsley. He thinks he knows everything.

Offline pisshead

• stalker
  • SUSS
    • My PhD website
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 04:31:42 pm »
woo - shiny things!! :D

Ben M - i can't believe you've finished already! That's pretty jammy!

3 weeks of caving and hiking practice for Crete is it?? That's what i'd be doing if i didn't have a bloody PhD to do and a supervisor breathing down my neck because I haven't done much for the past 2 weeks...  :oops:

Dave H

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 05:48:45 pm »
Having a break from revision is a good idea. My finals were two weeks of two, three hour, exams a day, but I still managed to spend the weekend between caving in S. Wales - it did me the world of good. As does 10 minutes shut-eye before the exam.

I had log tables for some (maths) exams and calculators for others (maths and physics), so that must put me at least 10 years younger than the cantankerous ones :)

I was so tight as a student (visiting the market when it was shutting down, to get any left over veg, the fresh bread daily bakery to get left overs there, and the supermarket to get the unlabelled and dented tins for a penny each) that I actually had money left over from my grant in the first year - which I spent on caving gear  :)

I've been doing post-graduate OU computing courses lately as things have changed so much in the last 20 years. I can't believe how easy they are, and a damn sight easier than work :!:

Good luck to all you students out there, you are the countries future  :roll:  :lol:

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 10:58:53 pm »
Quote from: "Cave_Troll"
Quote from: "emgee"

Excelent point.
prbably down to our higher expectations. most families now expect to pay £40 / month + on phone, cable TV, broadband + HD TV, DVD, mobiles phones for mum dad and the kids, PC, two cars Central heating, holiday in the sun etc

Not to mention indoor toilets, refrigerators, bathroom, one car ... just a few of the things which are regarded as necessities now but were not by any means universal in 1960.

But this is a misleading argument - while there is one poverty threshold below which you are unable to provide the basics of food and shelter, there is another threshold below which you are unable to take a full part in the society that you are part of.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal