Chest Ascender - time for a new one

Roperat

Hi All,

With the newer model Croll not getting rave reviews i thought i'd pose the question to see what others are using.
My current Croll is having a few issues and it's time for a change. (if anyone is interested, the issue is that the rope isn't feeding down through it anymore, losing efficiency)

What are people using and recommending instead of the Croll, or better still what have people replaced their Croll with, and what are the results?

Oceanrower

I've got a Camp Goblin.

No, I know it's not a chest ascender, it's an ascender cum back up device but, ... .

I just like saying I've got a Camp Goblin!

:LOL:

NewStuff

I love my Turbochest. It's tiny, smaller than the new Croll. Clunky it is not. I find it easier to ascend with. How much of that is to do with the roller, and how much is the change in the angle the rope runs at, is anyone's guess.

I got rid of 2 almost new "old" crolls with years of life, once I had a go with it. I liked it that much.

cavemanmike

I've never used the new petzl crol but didn't like the reviews it was getting so opted for the camp turbo and never had a problem with it.
To be fair I did like my old petzl crol but I wore it out and couldn't find another one

tamarmole

Another vote for the Camp turbo.  I particularly like the fact that it allows the rope to run freely at the bottom of a pitch.

MarkS

+1 for the Turbo Chest. I've just replaced my first one after about 2.5 years of fairly heavy use.

pwhole

I've only used my Turbo twice so far, but I do like it. I noticed the rope doesn't always sit on the rollers immediately, but I think that's as much me needing to adjust my technique for the device. But very smooth ascents, and the cam opens easily too, which is nice. I have bought another Croll for 'sacrificial' use, as a grotty job I was on recently totally trashed my CT ascender, but ironically didn't get to do another rope-trip there, so it never got used. But if I'm on filthy nasty trips I'll use that, and keep the Turbo for 'regular' use.

Roperat

Hmmmm maybe I'm sold on trying one out..... any negatives of them? How flimsy are the rollers and the attachment point of the rollers? Are they easily bent inwards, etc? I have a habit of wearing my harness through squeezes..... (I know what you'll say, take it off) but I tend to give my gear a bit of a hiding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

David Rose

I like the CT ascender. It's very easy to open it at a rebelay, and the rope runs through smoothly. It never - and I mean never - slips. The CT footloop ascender is good, too. It inspires confidence.

Roperat

David Rose said:
I like the CT ascender. It's very easy to open it at a rebelay, and the rope runs through smoothly. It never - and I mean never - slips. The CT footloop ascender is good, too. It inspires confidence.
Thanks david. I've been using one of them at work, but when on more horizontal than vertical rebelays I've had them pop off. Not that we should really end up on horizontal, but it can happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

nihil_enochian

David Rose said:
Greetings my fellowship cavers. I am new on this forum so please be gently. :D
I wanted to ask everyone who use CT chest or hand ascender, is it made for cave rescuing. There is markings on the rear side of them say that they are for 100kg max load. And when I looked for Petzl croll there is no markings about max load but in the technical sheet is written that max load is 140kg. Is Petzl products so much better then the CT or what is point with that. Sorry for my English, it is not my native language, but I hope that you understand me.

Cheers from Serbia.

Antwan

Hi Nihil,

How I understand it, everything designed for work use now has a trend to be rated to 140kg for when technitions are loaded with drills, buckets and other tools.

I would have a guess that the camp is either aimed at the recreational market or they just havent caught up with the trend yet.

Im sure Mark Wright will be able to tell you if I am right or not

I may be wrong on this, but I am sure that most of these things a) have enough factor of safety that a one-off rescue type event will be fine (being sensible of course!) and b) they probably have an exceptional use rating.

I am sure Petzl stops state 150kg max or something, but can be used "occasionally" up to 200Kg for rescue?

Obviously if you were working in a rescue team and all it got used for was rescue then I would get something more heavy duty, but for the occasional rigging of personal rescue rigging then I bet "it be reet".

Noting that I banned the drillers I used to work with saying "it be reet" as it never bloody was.