Author Topic: Draenen clear-up (split from Cave Conservation Rewards)  (Read 4204 times)

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
Re: Draenen clear-up (split from Cave Conservation Rewards)
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2017, 09:51:03 pm »
Because concrete is kind of hard to remove when it's set.

I don't think Roadworkers find it hard... and they tend to complain about it less.  :coffee:

If you can get a jackhammer and suitable compressor to Drws Cefn, I'll take my hat off to you.
Deep Dark Dirty Wet Holes - The Right honourable Lock Persuader in Chief.

Offline Stuart France

• player
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »
Many thanks to Huge & friends for removing the abandoned camp.

I never realised that clearing rubbish in caves could be so controversial or even competitive.

In the case of the 'Big Beauty' camp, the flattened floor space created for sleeping upon suggested two to four people involved. The abandoned material at this camp fitted with that observation.  So it is a bit unrealistic to expect to see something like a landfill.

Anyone should be able raise concerns about long-abandoned rubbish in caves without attracting personal critcism for so doing.  It is not helpful either to defocus the issue by claiming that small amounts of rubbish (as someone perceives them) are not that important.  Litter is anti-social and disrespectful whatever the amount or location.

So I'd like to suggest a protocol that people who cease to camp in caves take responsibility for removing their gear as soon as possible but in any case after one year (say) of their involvement in a camp ending.  There is a temptation to "leave stuff for the use of other campers" or "leave it just in case I want to camp here again".

If they default then it becomes their club's responsibility (if they were in a club).  If that doesn't work then it is the cave management committee's responsibility (if there is one).  Failing that, the regional council should deal with it.  One would hope that any regional council would be able to organise litter removal, but ultimately the buck would stop with BCA.

In the case of Big Beauty, the campers didn't deal with it, the club didn't deal with it, the cave management committee people who saw the camp didn't engage, the regional council flagged it up and asked for helpers, then some volunteers from South Wales dealt with it.

Offline NigR

• forum hero
  • Grwp Ogofeydd Garimpeiros SWCC
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2017, 01:24:29 am »
Well, we have not found any used condoms yet (haven't looked too hard, to be honest) but you can rest assured that if and when we do there will be pictures of these on here too.

I've read some truly bizarre stuff on this forum, particularly related to Draenen. However, I think this really takes the biscuit!

If it floats your boat Nig, go for it!

Rhys

Well, guess what has now been found at one of the OUCC camps deeper into the cave?!

Won't post a pic just yet (in case it offends anybody's sensibilities and has to be removed), so a written description will have to suffice:

durex
ULTRAstrong
LOT C9825BB F
EXP 2003-05

Bit past the sell by date but still wrapped up and ready for immediate use if anyone is in the mood whilst visiting War of the Worlds (doubtful if the original owner will be bothering to return for it). Plenty of other rotting crap to clear out if you have any energy left, so take an empty tackle bag or two!

Online Huge

• forum star
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 10:31:21 am »
I never realised that clearing rubbish in caves could be so controversial or even competitive.

:-

Thanks for the post and offer for help Stuart, but it on my list to complete over the coming months with working weekend in the planning for conservative work in Draenen. So no need to worry mate, it will be cleared

Joshua white
Conservative officer for draenen (pdcmg)

Stuart.  You were clearly not listening during the meeting. 

I believe that Chris Densham said several times that he would arrange the clear-up of the Big Beauty camp.

Josh - My suggested camp clean-up will go ahead as advertised.

:shrug:

Offline BradW

• regular
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2017, 10:38:57 am »
How much did NigR bring out?

Offline NigR

• forum hero
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2017, 10:53:49 am »
How much did NigR bring out?

Nothing whatsoever as I wasn't there. Neither of the boys who were happened to have an empty bag with them, so all is still in situ.

Online Huge

• forum star
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2017, 10:59:55 am »
As I understand it (I haven't been back in there), apart from a stray, newly appeared, karrimat and a pot and some mugs for a drink stop at Out of the Blue, all the camping gear has now been removed from Draenen.

Following our trip, where we packed up the remains of a camp near Big Beauty Junction, at the start of Gone with the Wind, in about 20 minutes or so, three people have cleared the camp at Destiny Inlet in War of the Words, in a single trip.

As can be seen from quotes in the previous post, others had plans to clear camping gear from the cave. Three OUCC people, who had current camping gear there, plus the PDCMG Conservation Officer, have now cleared Dollimore's, again in a single trip. Unfortunately, it seems they did not have room, in their bags, for the newly appeared karrimat, which apparently is not OUCC gear.

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2017, 11:18:49 am »
Bit past the sell by date but still wrapped up and ready for immediate use...

You say that, but that's probably for stock control reasons. Is there a condom equivalent of Best Before, or Use By date ?

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2017, 11:25:17 am »
Actually that is expiry date, not sell by, so seeing as condoms (apparantly) last up to 6 years, that could well be a 1999 vintage dunky.

Offline BradW

• regular
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2017, 11:44:47 am »
Apparently, so big it wouldn't fit into an oversuit pocket.

Offline mudman

• stalker
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 11:48:05 am »
 :clap2:
I'm sure that whoever lost it will be cock-a-hoopthat its been found.  ;D

Offline NigR

• forum hero
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 11:50:56 am »
Thanks for the update, Huge - all good to hear.

So, Robin - do you reckon eighteen years could be stretching (!) things a bit?

Offline JasonC

• junky
  • KCC
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2017, 05:52:36 pm »
So, Robin - do you reckon eighteen years could be stretching (!) things a bit?

One way to find out....
(Is there a mile-deep club ?  :-\)

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2017, 06:08:54 pm »
Eighteen year top limit. You could get a more accurate figure if you counted the number of ribs.

Offline Graigwen

• menacing presence
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2017, 07:11:16 am »

One way to find out....
(Is there a mile-deep club ?  :-\)

Such things happened occasionally decades ago....

Online JohnS

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2017, 02:06:50 pm »
Ive heard of a mile high club but not a mile below club lol

Offline Stuart France

• player
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2017, 11:50:26 pm »
Three OUCC people, who had current camping gear there, plus the PDCMG Conservation Officer, have now cleared Dollimore's, again in a single trip.

Is that it then? Can we close this topic now?  There are no more camps in Draenen anywhere?  You've also cleared the OUCC camp located out of sight within the taped off area at the top of the rope climbs just as you leave MS&D heading in the Geryon direction?

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2017, 11:32:16 am »
Can we close this topic now?

No way.  Will the owner of the unused condom please step forward.  :o