Author Topic: Mossdale - Ouroborous project  (Read 9240 times)

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
Re: Mossdale - Ouroborous project
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2018, 02:21:37 am »
Hi Clive thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate your words and advice, but some of it did give me the impression you think I was born yesterday. No disrespect intended. I do have a bit more experience of this cave than the impression you've given me above.

The draught info was very valuable. Would definitely like to hear more on this subject.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:38:13 am by Simon Beck »

Online Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2018, 11:05:55 am »
Smashing stuff,but do cave carefully,Simon.  It would be more than a tad distressing if we never got to read about Session 70 'cos you got stuck in the cave and couldn't get out to write it up.
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2018, 11:16:29 am »
Smashing stuff,but do cave carefully,Simon.  It would be more than a tad distressing if we never got to read about Session 70 'cos you got stuck in the cave and couldn't get out to write it up.

Hey Roger, no need to worry, I've come this far and managed to stay in one piece, and don't expect any sympathy if it did go wrong. If the going begins to get really dodgy again I've a pile of recycled scaffold at my disposal. Plus I have already managed to survive 70 & 71, I just haven't written them up yet. Things are going well but I've yet to hit terra firma and suspect I'll be needing more rope, this is just a hunch at the time being though. Relating to Mossdale and previous exploration/discoveries this development is all very new, there's really no rule book to fall back on. I have every intention of maintaining an open mind and not getting ahead of myself, the process is reward enough. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:43:54 am by Simon Beck »

Offline Ian Ball

• forum star
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2018, 06:22:51 pm »
Very much enjoyed those entries  :thumbsup:

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2018, 09:11:58 pm »
The last offering till I manage to return.

Mossdale Session 70 - http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/09/mossdale-session-70.html

Offline tamarmole

• stalker
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2018, 08:31:07 am »

Mossdale Session 70 - http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/09/mossdale-session-70.html

Always a good read.

If your wetsuit is shrinking / getting stiff  chuck it in the washing machine with loads of fabric softener, that usually does the trick.

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2018, 01:08:33 pm »

Always a good read.

If your wetsuit is shrinking / getting stiff  chuck it in the washing machine with loads of fabric softener, that usually does the trick.
Thanks!

One of the best things I ever started doing was using the washing machine for wetsuits and all other neoprene items. I think Adele recommended this and the use of fabric softener. It does make a big difference especially when using the suits regularly, but shrinkage hasn't been avoided overall.

I don't recall having any shrinkage problems with a Scubapro suit I once had, which was also double lined and used sporadically for half a decade.

I am curious what the manufacturer recommends, to avoid shrinkage, especially when they tend to be dead against using washing machines. In this instance though I'd rather not bother, they'd probably tell me it's due to poor storage conditions or vermin nibbling away at the suits overall integrity.

When you've forked out £300 for two suits in the hope they will keep you going for quite some years, it's a shame when neither fits, or bears it's original dimensions, long before the suit is damaged beyond repair (less than two years).
Their old suits were far superior and lasted forever when patched well. Can't deny they are still good in wet cold caves, but doubt I'll be putting further money in their pockets.

I also don't think that treating long term customers poorly is worth this type of bad publicity either.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:37:54 pm by Simon Beck »

Online Ed

• player
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2018, 02:49:25 pm »
Less beer and pie.... :tease:

Offline Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 02:49:41 pm »
Simon, is your dig the first passage in Mossdale to go below the gritstone band?
In search of taverns measureless to man

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 04:34:46 pm »
Simon, is your dig the first passage in Mossdale to go below the gritstone band?

Most definitely yes.

Offline Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2018, 05:04:46 pm »
That's exciting! If I understand correctly, there's a thick slab of limestone with the usual famous systems in it like GG and the 3 counties, but on great whernside this slab is underneath a gritstone band and then a layer of less 'cavey' limestone, so the hope is that mossdale or Langcliffe gets below the gritstone into the good stuff beneath?

I'm sure this is hugely simplified and will annoy a geologist but is that the gist of it?

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 05:53:25 pm »
That's exciting! If I understand correctly, there's a thick slab of limestone with the usual famous systems in it like GG and the 3 counties, but on great whernside this slab is underneath a gritstone band and then a layer of less 'cavey' limestone, so the hope is that mossdale or Langcliffe gets below the gritstone into the good stuff beneath?

I'm sure this is hugely simplified and will annoy a geologist but is that the gist of it?

Yeah you've got the gist.

The cause of all the breakdown - from where the choke begins (near the existing limit of Piston Chamber) to where I'm presently pushing - appears to be a fault formed along the NW/SE master joint. My guess is, it's still got some way to drop before it goes horizontal again. Work is to recommence over the coming days so watch this space.   

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2018, 03:50:22 pm »
A couple of recent additions, which I've finally found the energy to complete. Two more to go and hopefully a visit this friday for another.

Mossdale Session 71 -  https://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/10/mossdale-session-71.html

Mossdale Session 72 - https://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/10/mossdale-session-72.html

Offline Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2018, 04:08:57 pm »
This is gripping stuff thanks for doing so much writing!

Online Mr Dinwiddy

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2018, 06:48:59 pm »
Thanks for the updates Simon. I particularly liked the photos in session 71- the lowest chamber looks dark and oppressive.
Thanks also for the information about how active you think your extensions are in flood.  I was going to post to ask you but you covered this clearly in 72. Looking forward to more updates when you can. Your Legends Blog is an epic.

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2018, 09:09:34 pm »
Thanks for the updates Simon. I particularly liked the photos in session 71- the lowest chamber looks dark and oppressive.
Thanks also for the information about how active you think your extensions are in flood.  I was going to post to ask you but you covered this clearly in 72. Looking forward to more updates when you can. Your Legends Blog is an epic.
This is gripping stuff thanks for doing so much writing!

Thanks chaps..

The cave was subject to very severe flooding around the 12/13th Oct, far worse than the one I commented on Session 72. I managed to return the following weekend (session 74) and filmed the Swims in post flood condition. I posted the two segments on youtube a week or two ago, so will add the links below. A little further info on the effects of the flooding down Ouroborous will be included in 74. Cheers

Mossdale Swims part 1 

part 2

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:20 pm »
Underground for 1:15pm, with what my diary states as an uneventful descent, I'm not sure what I was expecting though with that statement. Considering I moved to Bradford about the same time I began the Mossdale Sessions, I've still visited Mossdale more than I have the local papershop, which should guarantee a Mossdale descent is less eventful than going for the Milk. At the right time of day the latter is probably more dangerous than the former as well.

I can certainly agree with you there, having once cycled through Bradford, well the out-skirts, I concluded it was far safer to go down Mossdale then spending any time in Bradford, and I wished i had spent that particular Sunday doing that instead.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2018, 04:50:44 pm »
Thanks for sharing your explorations, survey and photos....really fascinating....Im hooked!

Offline Ian Ball

• forum star
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2018, 01:01:16 pm »
Gripping stuff indeed!  Almost makes you fancy a visit. 

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2018, 02:20:24 am »
Not many more of these left in the year.

Mossdale Session 73 - https://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/11/mossdale-session-73.html

Mossdale Session 74 - https://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/11/mossdale-session-74.html

Online ObviousSpectre

• regular
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2018, 10:25:29 am »
As if the water wasn’t enough to worry about, you say there’s voices in there too?! I admire your determination   :bow:
"Water is a third oxygen so we should be fine"

Offline MJenkinson

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 12:26:13 am »
Gripping stuff indeed!  Almost makes you fancy a visit.

If you haven't, you should. I only saw a smidgen of the place and it was well worth it. 

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2018, 09:05:51 pm »

Online Mr Dinwiddy

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:53 pm »
Really appreciate the survey at the end of session 75. Brings the previous posts into sharper focus.

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2018, 09:43:37 pm »
Really appreciate the survey at the end of session 75. Brings the previous posts into sharper focus.

It's a case of improving as I go with the surveying/drawing, albeit they will always be on the rough end of the spectrum. Articulating the experience is what's most important about all this for me, and takes most of my energy, nor do I have the need or desire to improve enough to compete with the very high common standard.

I would hope that the younger end of the spectrum, who appear very adept in the art, will take on the challenge of a complete re-survey of the cave.