An introduction to Mossdale Caverns

David Rose

19 November 2017

Mossdale Caverns

David Rose, Adele Ward, Simon Beck

Forum readers may be aware that I?m writing a book about caving. One of its chapters will deal with rescue and accidents, and include a section about the Mossdale tragedy 50 years ago. Where possible, I want to visit the caves I?m writing about. I?d first been in touch with Simon about a Mossdale trip in the summer of 2016, but a painful knee problem - now much alleviated with turmeric and pepper extract anti-inflammatory capsules ? put it on indefinite hold. Then Simon started posting his recent, superbly-written blogs about the cave and his dig in Ouroboros. I found them inspiring. I could put this off no longer.

I met Adele in Grassington?s Eco Caf? late on a sparkling, frosty morning, after two late nights at the Kendal Mountain Festival. It turned out Simon was already underground. Rain was forecast for the evening, and he wanted to make the most of the dry conditions. So Adele and I decided to go for a relatively brief introduction to the system: to travel as far as Rough Chamber, and then, if we felt like it, to join Simon in Ouroboros. Adele?s first caving trip was less than a year ago, but as would become apparent, she is an absolute natural. For months she has been getting underground more than once a week, and copes with the world beneath the world with seemingly effortless confidence: a very reassuring companion.

Any normal caver approaching this system for the first time is going to feel apprehensive, and I was no exception. The walk was longer than I expected, and by the time we reached the scar, where the remains of bouquets left after the 50th anniversary ceremony still sprout from cracks in the rock next to the memorial plaque, the sky had darkened with the  harbingers of a weather front. However, Adele?s effortless good humour and an excellent conversation kept my spirits up. Soon enough we were changed and ready to go.

The bone dry entrance series, a series of awkward wriggles down through a boulder choke, passed quickly. It got bigger for a while, and then we reached the Swims, and the Death or Glory ducks. I was wearing a furry suit, not neoprene, and with the water temperature not far above freezing point, was grateful that Simon and Adele have spent time lowering the water level by digging away at the cobble banks below: the ducks did not require the helmet off, head sideways, one nostril breathing method they otherwise might at this time of year. Once through, I soon warmed up, and we met Simon ? who having gashed his hand fixing scaffolding at the dig, had been making his way out. He decided to join us.

By now, any sense of intimidation had completely vanished. There were big, impressive chambers; fascinating passage architecture; a soaring aven, high enough to need my Scurion spot on full power to see the top; and in Broadway, a section of magnificent streamway. I was thoroughly enjoying myself and the company, and if I hadn?t been facing a four-hour drive back to Oxford, would happily have extended the trip.

We reached Rough Chamber, stopped for a drink and some chocolate, and headed back to the entrance. I?d always half-assumed frequent visitors to Mossdale must be driven by some dark, self-destructive force. Now I?d grasped their secret. Of course the cave needs treating with the utmost care and respect, and close attention to the (nowadays, thankfully more accurate) weather forecasts. There are bits of grass and other flood debris high on some of the walls, and in places, foam on the ceiling. It will never escape its history. But at the same time, Mossdale is simply a fantastic system, only made more alluring by its incredible potential.

My appetite thoroughly whetted, I left wanting more. Thank you, Simon and Adele. It was great caving with you. If you?ll have me, I?ll be back.

Simon Wilson

Great stuff.

The caves of the Black Keld catchment seem to have become a little outside the mainstream recently and they need to be promoted back to the top of cavers' lists of things to do where they used to be.

nobrotson

Simon Wilson said:
The caves of the Black Keld catchment seem to have become a little outside the mainstream recently and they need to be promoted back to the top of cavers' lists of things to do where they used to be.

I agree, but it won't be easy. The reasons for that are pretty simple: the Three Counties system and caves have less flood-prone entrances to the system and are much better understood hydrologically, require less walking to get to the entrances, have a recent history of very successful digging and do not have the very sad and unfortunate historical backdrop of Black Keld, therefore much easier to generate interest. The majority of the current crop of very experienced and dedicated explorers in the Dales focus their time and effort on the Three Counties, hence why it is now very big. Same reason that Penyghent, Fountains Fell, Malham etc haven't had dry ways into their master caves found yet. Credit to Simon for trying to get more people interested in Black Keld with his writing. I think a shift back towards being interested in these areas is occurring after a time of quiescence though.