Author Topic: Who's back?  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Cave_Troll

• forum hero
  • SUSS
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/cave_troll/
Who's back?
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:37:00 am »
Is everyone back now or is anyone still in crete?

Offline danthecavingman

• forum star
  • Don't follow too close.....
Re: Who's back?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 02:14:34 pm »
Some of us never went away........... :tease:
You see that Taxus baccata.........that's Yew that is........

Offline Cave_Troll

• forum hero
  • SUSS
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:27:37 pm »
well you missed the dust then didn't you

Offline pisshead

• stalker
  • SUSS
    • My PhD website
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:29:00 am »
i'm back :)

but then i was on the plane with you and you dropped me off at my house...so you probably already knew that.

are pub sessions still happening?

Offline Katie

• forum star
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:00:44 pm »
The main group got back at about 2 in the morning last night!
Now everyone is back except Henry who has been abandoned in Athens... but will be back on thursday night.
We carried all the equipment to the road by Saturday night, and then slept by the road.
On Sunday 3 people ferried the equipment down the road to anopoli whilst the other 5 walked down the mule track (and sang very badly!)
We sorted gear in anopoli that afternoon and bivied by the road. The next day we all went to hania where the [pallet was packed and swimming in the sea also completed successfully  :)
Then on tuesday we flew back!
See ya in the pub tomorrow night

Offline Brendan

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.shef.ac.uk/~suss
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 03:03:14 pm »
Did Henry not qualify as excess baggage?
The original underground extreme ironer

Offline Cave_Troll

• forum hero
  • SUSS
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 03:04:43 pm »
probably needed to loose a little weight. :-)

Offline caverholic

• menacing presence
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 03:36:56 pm »
Clare and I were in manchester last night and noticed that there were not trains only buses.
I bet that was fun or did you get a lift again?

Also any major leads found on the last day, Adam said everyone was a bit pooped after the rain on Wednesday.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 03:49:45 pm »
Sounds like a good trip - how many Km then??

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 09:10:50 am »
Now then all. Good to see you all got back safely.

The main thing that happened after you guys left was that on Monday night the rain started a falling and didn't stop till Thursday! Visability was at times down to 10m so we made the group decision of sitting in our tents all day paying cards  >:(. This was especially after the morning Freezer Cave team got lost for a while, so we decided that this was no time to be wandering the mountains. Luckily it had cleared up enough on thursday morning to go out caving again.

Most of the last days caving were taken up finishing off little bits here and there in our area. A few 60m deep shafts found but nothing majorly deep.

Me and Jeff Hilti capped the boulder choke in Freezer Cave and broke through into 40m of lovely walking passage and quite a large chamber. The way on ended in a boulder choked rift with the draught coming out. Gel next time :clap2:.

One team on Thursday went to cap a draughting, vertical squeeze that Katie almost got stuck in previously, which is at the bottom of a 20m shaft. This dropped down another 20m to a rubble floor but half way up was a rift semi full of boulders where the draught was coming from. I poked about in this while the others were trying to encourage Ben2 through the squeeze, and managed to find a way through. Walked down the 1m x 8m rift for about 40m not reaching the end and passing two pitches at which point i went back to get the others. Turned out Ben had refused to do the squeeze (and quite rightly so, Henry almost didn't get out) so we surveyed the bottom pitch and left the rest for another year.

On the last day me and Robbie did a big loop around The Promised Land to SUSS ( ;D ) out the potential in the area and to locate some big holes on the north side of the very back ridge, which we had found on Google Earth before we left. 2 of them had spits by them >:( but 3, which were in a different area, seemed untouched :). On the way back through The Promised Land we stuck to the W slope and passed some really big features and 10s of shafts needing to be dropped.

As for Km we haven't entered all our data yet as the main Laptop has broken down for a while so we won't know for sure till then. I'll estimate 2.5 Km for now.
The end is where we start....

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal