Dales Caves with stream/waterfall entrances and exits?

lancscaver

Hi
I am seeking help compiling a list of cave entrances in the dales which have rivers, streams etc .. basically water flowing into or out of them, weather a stream or waterfall from the surface.
Then a good bit of passage work walking or stooping, crawling etc before the big drops start? :eek:
eg: Like Alums entrances and Hunt pot etc?
Haven't done dales caving for many few years now and restarting again with the plan to combine it with photography this time.
Plan is then to venture deeper again as I get fitter/slimmer & lighter from middle age spread and restock on new SRT kit to get further down the system as I used to do as a young lad! :D
A bit like a mid life crisis really :confused:
Thanks in advance of any replies  :clap:
All the best
Andy

Rachel

Great Douk would be a pleasant start. Up the waterfall (or bypass it on the right) and follow the passage until emerging in the limestone pavement. High Douk is also worth continuing into for pretty photo opportunities.

Browgill, following the passage upstream to the first waterfall inside the cave, then bypass it up the chimney climb and follow the passage to the surface waterfall.

Yordas is worth popping into for a few waterfall photos.

I'm sure there are plenty of others too. Also, the BPC's winch meet at GG isn't that far away (May) and would give you easy access to a rather good waterfall.

Emsy

Also Ibbeth Peril in Dentdale is worth a look. Lovely waterfall in a large boulder chamber and some lovely passage to mooch about in.

Also isn't  Long Drop on Casterton Fell a long stroll before the first pitch?

Then there's the Valley Entrance of the Kingsdale Master Cave & Heron Pot, both in Kingsdale.

langcliffe

Emsy said:
Also isn't  Long Drop on Casterton Fell a long stroll before the first pitch?

If we're talking about Long Drop on Leck Fell, definitely not! Short Drop is a good 'un, though, as well as Lost John's.

Ian Ball

You can make a day of it at Great Douk with the top section of Sunset Pot and Hardrawkin Pot and High Douk Holes.

Fulk

Funny how relatively few caves fit your picture of an entrance waterfall or passage; the top entrance to Upper Long Churn would probaly fit the bill. What about Rowten and Jingling Caves?

Pie Muncher

Rumbling Beck Cave and Rumbling Hole on Leck Fell. Simply waiting for someone to do the fall justice. Never have seen a right good shot of it.

MarkS

Long Kin East Cave is an enjoyable, short walking through-trip following a stream. I can't remember off the top of my head how long you can follow the stream into Long Kin East Pot before you reach a pitch.

lancscaver

Great tips, thanks everyone!
Just had today photographing Alum Pots entrances, then Great Douk cave...
Photos coming soon!
Andy

lancscaver

Great Douk Cave

Attachments

• forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 131

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Pie Muncher said:
Rumbling Beck Cave and Rumbling Hole on Leck Fell. Simply waiting for someone to do the fall justice. Never have seen a right good shot of it.

I agree, there's a fab shot to be had of Rumbling entrance pitch - photographers ...??