Author Topic: What's happening at Masson Mine (being filled in)  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Big Jim

• forum star
Re: What's happening at Masson Mine (being filled in)
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 12:55:56 am »
Isnt Knowles Drift mine much further over towards the Heights of Abraham below that view point thing? ie the one with some crappy mesh over the entrance that can be seen going down on a gentle incline for about 8m to water???

Offline History Trog

• regular
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 09:29:48 am »
Knowles Adit was just down the hill from the quarry. The entrance is now collapsed but it was open when we surveyed it back in the 1970s although collapsed further in by the early quarrying. It is easily found by following the footpath over the stile from the gate at the quarry entrance. This zigzags past the remains of Beck’s processing plant and then the entrance site is in a cutting area. This was all cleared of undergrowth during the recent activity at the quarry.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 11:22:50 am »
If I didn't dream this, I'm sure me and AR found a run-in adit inside the quarry itself in the first section as you enter, doubling back below the path to a point that wouldn't be that far from the draughting hole.

Offline Madness

• forum star
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 01:01:08 pm »
Anything in the quarry itself must surely be mine passages intersected by quarrying rather than an adit. If you could remove all the rocks and spoil from the quarry you'd probably find a few passages to dig/explore.

Offline markpot

• addict
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 07:04:17 pm »
I think your correct mick.i think most of the holes in the qaurry are levels which have been intersected by quarrying.
I know the area that pwhole described as a run in adit.There is evidence of something being there ,adit or level.it could possibly be related.
The rift is really promising mick.its quite deep and has alot of natural solution features and visable shot marks lower down. Its on this weekends list.will report back once we have had a rope down it.

Offline markpot

• addict
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 08:09:25 pm »
The 1899 barmasters map shows a line of shafts running from the feild next to the masson approach path,down towards  snitterton marked as Hungerhill/Hungerhill pipe.There is a hard to decipher pencil sketch line which continues from the feilds next to the approach path into masson/Knowles qaurry area.This roughley seems to land in the area of the draughting hole .

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • junky
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:15 pm »
If I didn't dream this, I'm sure me and AR found a run-in adit inside the quarry itself in the first section as you enter, doubling back below the path to a point that wouldn't be that far from the draughting hole.

I don't think it was with me Phil, but my memory is pretty shot right now! I've a feeling we discussed the coffin level in the rockface above King Mine though.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline markpot

• addict
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 10:01:01 pm »
Has anyone checked out the coffin level AR?i remeber doing the climbing route up to it which lowers off in that area but cant say i remember much about it?

Offline Madness

• forum star
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 10:39:39 pm »
We could do with overlaying the quarry onto the barmasters map.

Offline owd git

• forum hero
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 10:47:06 pm »
Only thin men/ladies need apply. it reaches  masson where you go up just as you enter the way in.( hole in roof  with rail in sight? ) have been told really thin peep's struggle! , I haven't tried  :thumbsup:
O.G.
Hen racer? 2000 world hen racing champion

Offline Madness

• forum star
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:16 pm »
Looking at the barmasters map the Knowles/Crichman Consolidated Title extends outside the quarry towards Salter Lane with a shaft outside the quarry. Might be worth looking for a way into that .

I wonder how far workings extend towards Jugholes?

Wasn't there an old rumour of miners going down Jugholes and coming out in the Via Gellia?