The colonials are at it.....

ZombieCake

Crazy - how many have a large selection of 'safe' firearms to play with I wonder?  The world is going to pot!

mikem

Interview with caving club members:
https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article209435714.html

ZombieCake

Given all the recent evidence that American Football causes permanent brain injuries (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) will they be banning the Penn State Nittany Lions too?
Unlikely, where will they get their next generation of politicians from?  :-\
Obesity is a massive problem worldwide (pun intended) so any activity that promotes exercise and indeed a sense of adventure should be encouraged.  Uni where I work, while it doesn't have a caving club, does have a number of successful sports teams and I can't see them not promoting any healthy activity.
Maybe it's time to buy shares in bariatric companies... scary.

Alex

H&S is the excuse, but not the reason, look carefully at the article and you will see:

The university offers an outdoor adventures programme for students, but it is significantly more expensive than student-led club.

There's your reason. They simply wanted to make more money.

Fulk

"These concerns have, at times, included the misuse of alcohol in the context of already risky activities. This mix is obviously dangerous."

There's a surprise.

ZombieCake

Well when Mr Trump pops over in the summer the Queen can have a quiet word in his ear over a cup of tea that this delegated self governance thing isn't quite working out and we ought to take this colony back under wider Commonwealth management for good measure.

Fulk

With regard to ZombieCakes's remark about firearms, it would be interesting to know how many young (say, 15?25-year-old) Americans have been shot dead ? in America that is, not counting casualties of war ? over the last few years (20 / 30 / 40?), and how many have died doing outdoor pursuits of any kind.

2xw

Fulk, some of the anti firearm campaigns over there put the figure as 40 shot per day (rather than per year) and 7 dead per day. In an average year, 2770 0-19yos are shot to death, and once every two weeks, it's by a policeman.
Statistics for rock climbing are harder to find but some sources suggest that in 2013 there were 143 accidents with 21 fatalities.

As far as SUSS treatment, the union are much better now and actively celebrate/encourage the club. After the last case of the union health professionals declaring the club had "problems with drink" a few years ago I wrote a pissy email and they apologised. It seems to me that students drinking is dying gradually anyways. See far more lemonades in the pub nowadays

Alex

See far more lemonades in the pub nowadays

'Cause they're 60 pence rather than ?3.40. :(

Really, where, I always find at pubs the soft drinks cost as much as the beers!