Wanted - sit harness

Keris82

Does anyone have a sit harness for caving srt? I use a petzl falcon but it makes my croll sit high on my body when I'm hanging making it difficult to detach the croll. I have a mtde harness but its not a good fit on me as I'm petite and i don't think they are made for women

aricooperdavis

The Petzl Superavanti and Fractio comes in two sizes so that it can fit both big fatsos and petite people. I have a spare, used, superavanti kicking around, but for something like a harness I think it's worth getting one new?

Benfool

Worth having a chat with Tony at StarlessRiver. He's got a lot of different harnesses and will fit the most appropriate one to you after you've tried them.

B

Keris82

Benfool said:
Worth having a chat with Tony at StarlessRiver. He's got a lot of different harnesses and will fit the most appropriate one to you after you've tried them.

B

Sadly i live down saaf so I'm not able to get to their shop. There's not a lot of places to buy caving harnesses down south so i'd have to order it online

Keris82

mikem said:
Is it a falcon ascent or the standard rescue version?

Mike

I'm not sure. I got it second hand and it's quite old. I can show you it if you're at Nordrach this weekend. I'm coming down late tonight.

alastairgott

Keris82 said:
Sadly i live down saaf so I'm not able to get to their shop.

Depending on where exactly the south is... :-\

The starless river shop is not in a fixed location. It'll be in/on/around Mendip on the 11th and 12th of August.

But if you need gear I'm sure you can persuade him to come and visit another part of the South, or meet at a motorway service station?

Calendar: https://www.starlessriver.com/news/?page_id=200

(I believe Tony sometimes stays slightly longer than the weekend advertised, and is very helpful on all matters, so you really are best talking to him)

Also, isn't cave climb in Cheddar? which would be your local shop...? http://www.caveclimb.com/retail.html

mikem

I'll be there. Rescue has a metal ring on front, ascent twin loops to attach maillon.

Mike

Keris82

alastairgott said:
Keris82 said:
Sadly i live down saaf so I'm not able to get to their shop.

Depending on where exactly the south is... :-\

The starless river shop is not in a fixed location. It'll be in/on/around Mendip on the 11th and 12th of August.

But if you need gear I'm sure you can persuade him to come and visit another part of the South, or meet at a motorway service station?

Calendar: https://www.starlessriver.com/news/?page_id=200

(I believe Tony sometimes stays slightly longer than the weekend advertised, and is very helpful on all matters, so you really are best talking to him)

Also, isn't cave climb in Cheddar? which would be your local shop...? http://www.caveclimb.com/retail.html

Ah good to know! When I say south, I mean Kent. So may still be a bit far for him to travel.

Mark Wright

Keris82 said:
it has a D ring on the front of it

I use a standard Falcon for work and its not really suited to efficient SRT due to its high CofG. The Falcon Mountain is similar, as are most of the other industrial type sit harnesses.

I've occasionally used my Falcon Ascent for SRT and bolt climbing and it has to be the most comfortable harness i've ever worn. Mind you its still uncomfortable after about 20 mins of not moving much, e.g. belaying.

It conforms to EN813 (PPE - Sit harnesses) and EN358 (PPE - Work Positioning Side Loops) as does the Falcon but you end up with a slightly lower CofG due to the position of the M/R or Omni carabiner. Its a good compromise harness between comfort and efficiency but all the Falcon range will soon start to look scrappy if used underground.

The last time I used my Falcon Ascent was a bolt climbing trip in Mulu that Robbie Shone was photographing - I was glad of it's additional comfort.

The Falcon Mountain conforms to the above standards and also EN12277C (Mountaineering - Sit Harnesses)

I'll be bringing one you can have a go on at this years Hidden Earth on Mendip.

Mark