Author Topic: Cave sediment question  (Read 505 times)

Offline andywebman

• regular
    • Red Rose CPC
Cave sediment question
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:33:24 am »
During recent excavations at a cave near the village of Casterton, Cumbria we have come across an interesting sequence of what I think are fluvio-glacial sediments. (See latest Descent 263. p14, Opening Slab Pot). Is there anyone who could help confirm what these are or would be interested in examining them etc. They are not far underground and the cave is right next to the road.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 10:02:35 pm by Pegasus »
RRCPC:-)

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • junky
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
Re: Cave sediment question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 08:51:42 pm »
Have you been in touch with the BCRA? It reminds me of some inwashed sand sediments I came across in a local mine that had cut natural.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Andy Farrant

• player
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 09:46:14 pm »
Clearly sands washed in by water, but hard to say if glacial or stream washed just from photos. Quite possibly injected by glacial meltwater, much like the sediments in Aggy or OFD 2. Given its location and catchment, its not surprising that there is a lot of sandy sediment fill. Keep an eye open for paragenetic wall notches and phreatic pendants which might suggest the cave was still active when the sediment was emplaced. I hope your not intending a total excavation, it would be best to keep a few nice representative sections, as someone may wish to take a look in future.

Offline andywebman

• regular
    • Red Rose CPC
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 01:04:55 pm »
Have you been in touch with the BCRA? It reminds me of some inwashed sand sediments I came across in a local mine that had cut natural.

Who to speak to in BCRA. Not much point in making general requeast

Offline andywebman

• regular
    • Red Rose CPC
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:06:46 pm »
There are phreatic pendants in one place and we will be leaving some of the sediments in place