• JT2.jpg
    JT2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 493
  • JT3.jpg
    JT3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 498

PeteHall

Pitlamp said:
Is it a Series 2A or a Series 3? (Pity the headlights aren't in shot.)

It's a Series 3. The 2/ 2A went straight up at the side. The Series 3 has the "step" out below the windows.

Edit: there is a 2nd Land Rover in the background which is older, might be a Series 1, but I'm not enough of a Land Rover geek to be able to tell from the small amount visible...

Greybeard

I can add a few.

Top row L to R: John Thomas (Willy), Lugger & Kevin, Bob Cockram (I think), Derek Crossland.
The two bottom left are Jeff Gill and Dave Ramage

Laurie

Pitlamp said:
Series IIa, look at the door hinges and bonnet hinges. Looks rather old for an S.III which would have been brand new then.

Simon Beck

I go with late production Series 2a. I could never tell the difference between those two anyway, but thought cosmetically there was little between the late 2a and early 3.

Laurie

Simon Beck said:
I go with late production Series 2a. I could never tell the difference between those two anyway, but thought cosmetically there was little between the late 2a and early 3.
Series IIa even had the headlights in the wings for the last couple of years of production but did retain the wire grill.

Pitlamp

PeteHall said:
Pitlamp said:

It's a Series 3. The 2/ 2A went straight up at the side. The Series 3 has the "step" out below the windows.

Edit: there is a 2nd Land Rover in the background which is older, might be a Series 1, but I'm not enough of a Land Rover geek to be able to tell from the small amount visible...

You sure that's right Pete? I owned a Series 2A and that wasn't straight up at the side; I think it was mainly the Series 1 which was parallel sided. My old one is still trundling round the Peak District incidentally, as it went to a very good home.

By the way, I'm sure Greybeard is right about Bob Cockerham and Derek Crossland. (I never met the other two he mentions on the bottom row.)

I also agree with Laurie about the headlights on the wings on the late 2A, just before the 3 came out. Mine was built in 1963 and that had the headlamps closer together, either side of the grille. Still going strong after 55 years - what a tragedy Land Rover stopped making the latest incarnation (the excellent Defender) to focus on expensive electronics-filled poshmobiles.

Laurie

As a reckognised authority on Land Rover I can assure you that it is a Series II or IIa.

Ed

nickwilliams said:
It's a 2 or 2a. The windscreen wipers are the give away.

As do the door hinges. Series had the flat hinges as per 90 / 110s

But what engine?

Roger W

Interesting!  "Name that caver!" said the OP, but an awful lot of effort is going into "Name that Land Rover"!

Maj

Roger W said:
Interesting!  "Name that caver!" said the OP, but an awful lot of effort is going into "Name that Land Rover"!

In an attempt to bring it back to "Name that caver" here's a photo from the WSG website.

Caerllwyn%20By%20Moonlight.JPG

Maj.