Author Topic: Northern Explorers' Forum 2019  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
Re: Northern Explorers' Forum 2019
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 02:52:47 pm »
Yeh I am told I have not paid it seems so not working for me it turns out too. They are a bit stuck as they awaiting paypal to fix it.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Tony Harrison

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 01:40:25 pm »
Hi Sam, I too have failed to pay by PayPal after several tries over the last two days (4 & 5/2/19). After filling in debit card details, I get the response: "sorry things don't appear to be working...", just like the others have.  I'll try again in a few days time.  Tony H

Offline Pie Muncher

• addict
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 02:34:02 pm »
Worked for me ok on 22nd Jan.
Growler

Offline andys

• Outside its dropped to under zero, but I'm warm on here as a
  • forum hero
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 03:28:55 pm »
Worked for me ok on 22nd Jan.

Which did you use though, an existing Paypal account or attempt to pay by debit/credit card as a Paypal "guest"? From what has been said above, I think that there are some circumstances in which it works and others in which it doesn't.
Plateaus are the highest form of flattery.

Offline Pie Muncher

• addict
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 05:16:21 pm »
Sorry, should have said. I used an existing Paypal account. Guess it shows it work for some, some of the time. Still needs a fix or just keep trying.
Growler

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 10:34:21 pm »
Well that was a rigmarole! I got it to work using internet exploder only the link on Northern explorers web-page just takes you to the main pay pal site, not the paypal checkout page.

However I got around that by copying the link I had in Chrome on the pay bit into explorer and it worked finally!

So it looks like it's Chrome that is not working, when no paypal account.

I have detailed the steps I took here, it should help others:

1) Open up the northern explorers forum in your normal browser (Chrome or whatever you have been trying it with) and click the "buy tickets" button.
2) Don't bother entering any details, select everything in the address bar (the https:\\... text) at the top and press Ctrl + C.
3) Open internet explorer and paste that address into the address bar there by selecting the text and pressing Ctrl + V
4) Fill in the details now and press pay and hopefully the bloody thing will work.

Please pass this on to your mates who are having trouble.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:43:53 pm by Alex »
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline andys

• Outside its dropped to under zero, but I'm warm on here as a
  • forum hero
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 11:15:42 pm »
.......  So it looks like it's Chrome that is not working, when no paypal account.

Doesn't work on Firefox either. I got round it by reactivating an old (ancient!) Paypal account, updating its password, checking it worked by buying something on EBay, switching to Northern Explorers Forum and going into Buy Tickets, resetting the Paypal password (to the one set above) yet again, and then paying. And BINGO! - I've now bought my seat.

So it can be done - just Quaking is easier.
Plateaus are the highest form of flattery.

Offline s_allshorn

• regular
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 09:33:49 am »
After some work with Paypal it should now work with a guest checkout. However, cookies need to be cleared first and depending on the device it still may not work. There are several people who I know are having problems and I'll arrange an alternative payment method.

Please PM me if it doesn't work for you. I'm away next week so you may not get a response immediately.

Andy I'm pleased that you are so determined to come.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 09:35:26 am »
However, cookies need to be cleared first.

Ahh that will explain why it worked in Exploder as it would not share the cookies with Chrome.

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 09:14:22 am »
Is the payment process completely fixed yet? Using Firefox and credit card as guest, I'm just getting the "We're sorry, things don't seem to be working at the moment" message reported above. I've left it a good while before booking to give time for the problems to be sorted, but we're getting close to the date now.

Is there any other way I can book/pay? I can bring cash to CNCC meeting on Sat if that helps!

Could someone who can get it to work book two places for me and I'll give you the money?

Offline s_allshorn

• regular
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 09:25:06 am »
Kay, I have sent you a PM.
If anyone else is having trouble paying please PM me.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:10 am »
Have you tried my method Kay, i.e. internet explorer?

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »
Not everyone has a Windows machine, Alex!

But Sam's sorted out an alternative payment method for me - thanks, Sam

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 01:20:59 pm »

Why-ever not?  But I am no mind reader so how the heck was I meant to know, you were meaning a MAC?

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:24 pm »

Why-ever not?  But I am no mind reader so how the heck was I meant to know, you were meaning a MAC?

Doesn't have to be a Mac. Ever heard of Linux Alex?
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2019, 11:16:41 am »
Do people still use that OS???  Next thing you are telling me people still use MSDOS or Atari's and Amiga's computers as they might as well be lol. Be away with you and your deamons!

Offline Benfool

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 11:49:46 am »
What, are you being serious? Of course people still use Linux - its a perfectly acceptable modern operating system. In fact the majority of web servers run on some form of Unix variant and Linux has a bigger market share of desktop computers than you might of thought.

B

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2019, 12:31:33 pm »
I was being a bit flippant mainly because Kay was having a go at me for not being a mind-reader when I was only trying to help. It was also a bit of a joke did no one get the Deamons bit (Linux uses them instead of services as far as I understand).

I barely ever hear of anyone using them as desktop computers now and looking at the global market share it's a couple percent share which is not increasing, so in my view they are rather obsolete.  I am aware web servers tend to run on unix but that's a different kettle of fish as we are talking desktops now and also we are royally derailing this thread.

Online andrewmc

• forum star
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS, prov. SWCC...
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 01:02:32 pm »
I was being a bit flippant mainly because Kay was having a go at me for not being a mind-reader when I was only trying to help. It was also a bit of a joke did no one get the Deamons bit (Linux uses them instead of services as far as I understand).

I barely ever hear of anyone using them as desktop computers now and looking at the global market share it's a couple percent share which is not increasing, so in my view they are rather obsolete.  I am aware web servers tend to run on unix but that's a different kettle of fish as we are talking desktops now and also we are royally derailing this thread.

Small market share != obsolete
(writing this on my Linux laptop)

Offline Benfool

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 01:16:39 pm »
Most webservers these days will run Linux distos such as Redhat and Fedora, rather than bare Unix.  Android too is a slightly modified version of Linux. Linux is far from obsolete.

Out of the 70 Devs in my office, I'd say 50% run linux on their work laptop (usually Ubuntu) and I suspect that's not unusual for a technology company. More people run Linux on their machines than you think!

Offline gardouth

• Gary Douthwaite
  • player
  • YCC, YUCPC & NPC
    • York Caving Club
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2019, 02:15:01 pm »
Clearly payments have been an issue for several people. I'm not sure why really. Once you go to pay, the payment process is entirely handled by PayPal.

I'm surprised because although PayPal can be a pain it usually works reasonably well. PayPal was used really just for it's quick implementation but if NEF is repeated in future years we'll sort something better. I would usually use Stripe so we'll probably go down that route next time.

Hopefully everyone who wants tickets gets one despite the problems. I'm sure Sam will help anyone if you contact him.
York Caving Club secretary
CNCC & HE webmaster
NPC & YUCPC member

Offline s_allshorn

• regular
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2019, 08:21:18 pm »
Please note that there are now a limited number of tickets remaining. If you haven't been in touch but would like to come please do so ASAP if PayPal isn't working for you or it isn't the way you wish to pay. Numbers are limited due to the size of the venue.

Offline braveduck

• forum star
  • Digging Bucket maker.B.P.C. Little Green Men.
    • http://www.bpc-cave.org.uk
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2019, 09:30:06 pm »
I wish to attend but will not use pay pall .
Can I use a credit card please .

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2019, 11:06:22 pm »
If it works correctly you should be able to pay by credit card/debit card and not use a paypal account, there is an option on there for it.

Offline kay

• Not a
  • forum hero
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2019, 09:36:27 am »

Sorry, I should have said thanks for trying to be helpful. But it's not asking you to be a mindreader to realise that Apple has a good share of the market, and if someone hasn't tried using IE when their favourite browser has failed, it probably means they don't have IE available.