New Rift Pot and Ireby - This Weekend?

Tommy

Planning trips for this weekend and need some Dales local advice on these two caves given the potential for weather forecast in the region over the next two days.

We would likely be going tomorrow. Should we avoid and do something drier?

Thanks a million! :)

Alex

I would avoid Ireby that has caught people out in the past including me. I think you will be okay for new rift, the crawl can back up when its really wet between first and second pitch but it's generally in moderate rain like is forcasted, though I have not done it in wet weather myself, so best double check with someone who has.

Pitlamp

Speaking generally - although rainfall over the last 24 hours has not been very much it's taken the lying snow with it, so conditions underground are a bit wetter than you might be anticipating. The goodly dollop of rain forecast tomorrow afternoon for the Dales will be falling onto already wet ground.

Just saying - proceed with caution this weekend.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I have been flooded into Ireby but it has taken a weather bomb type downpour to make it impassable.  The low crawl under the formation is the bit that stops you getting out.  Of course the pitches must be rigged for these conditions as people have died on the ropes at Bell Pitch.  Other sections are testing.  If in doubt don't go.

Rift Pot is nearly always passable.  In very wet conditions coming out the crawl can be unpleasant as your body and tackle bag dam up the stream in front of your face but I have never experienced it too bad.  Again, if in doubt don't go.

There are plenty of safe places in both caves if water expectantly rises.

nobrotson

Other option nearby is Large Pot, where the Grime and Punishment bypass avoids flooding in the Mousehole duck to take you over to New Rift, I am told by Neil and Becka who dug it that this does not get wet at all but have yet to check for myself. Colossus can become pretty unpleasant when wet but it's generally doable, though needs a massive traverse bolting to make it properly flood proof. Lots of stuff to look at down there. Have fun :)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Neil and Becka dug the Mousehole bypass.  They did use it for the dig into the Eastern Front but I think the bypass was dug by James Sugden and his mates.  Perhaps someone can remember better than me - cripplecreeker, JRL?

In fact I think JRL was delayed by a flood on one digging trip?

Jon

In Ireby, does anyone know if the rope up to the crawl that connects Duke Street to Duke Street II is in place and what condition it's in?

nobrotson

Badlad said:
I don't think Neil and Becka dug the Mousehole bypass.  They did use it for the dig into the Eastern Front but I think the bypass was dug by James Sugden and his mates.  Perhaps someone can remember better than me - cripplecreeker, JRL?

you could well be right, I just assumed this from speaking to becka about it.

PeteHall

nobrotson said:
Badlad said:

you could well be right, I just assumed this from speaking to becka about it.
Having been involved with opening the bypass, I can confirm it was James Sugden and some of his mates.  (y)

I would speculate that Grime and Punishment would be very unpleasant in very wet weather though as it carries an active stream, and is very low for a reasonably long way. I always found it easiest with helmet off...

rcfindlay

Jon said:
In Ireby, does anyone know if the rope up to the crawl that connects Duke Street to Duke Street II is in place and what condition it's in?

Was still there and usable a couple of weekends ago

Tommy

Thanks all, with the dump of rain this afternoon we went for the soft option and went down the other Rift Pot. Pleasant and uneventful.

The information is much appreciated and I think we will return another weekend with better weather.

Cheers!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Wise.  I think you needed to be in and out early today to beat the rain.  Had a quick trip to the Lost Johns sump via Deaths Head.  It was fair flowing in the master cave and the lack of draught suggests the upstream lakes were sumped.  By teatime I expect it was a lot higher.  We didn't linger long at the sump, only enough time to hear the tale of how Watto had been written out of history with his downstream dives ( ;) Pitlamp).  Heard some weird boomy noises from upstream and legged it. 

Tommy

Some of our lot were in Lost John's, could it have been them throwing rocks at each other?

Jon

In the new Northern Caves guide, the Rift Pot near Marble Steps is referred to as "Rift Pot" whereas the CNCC refer to it as "New Rift Pot". I'm sure I've also seen the CNCC refer to it as "Rift Pot" within some of the text, but not in a title. Which is correct?

Pitlamp

Don't pin that on me Badlad - I didn't write that section!

Besides, it's all in CDG Newsletters, the definitive history.

Pitlamp

Jon said:
In the new Northern Caves guide, the Rift Pot near Marble Steps is referred to as "Rift Pot" whereas the CNCC refer to it as "New Rift Pot". I'm sure I've also seen the CNCC refer to it as "Rift Pot" within some of the text, but not in a title. Which is correct?

I don't think those who did the main exploration called it "New Rift Pot". It's technically wrong anyway because the discovery came many years ago. I can see why the CNCC website needs to distinguish between the two Rift Pots - maybe referring to them there as Rift Pot (Allotment) and Rift Pot (Masongill) would be worthwhile?

Flotsam

Jon said:

It was always Rift Pot historically and when we dug it. It's now called "New" Rift Pot by some to distinguish it from the other one.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
There is a New Rift Pot on Leck Fell according to the latest Northern Caves Guidebook.  Fortunately it is short and blocked  at the moment.  Let's hope it never goes or it will only add to the confusion of Rift Pots.  A few years ago I heard that a team were were digging what they described as New New Rift.  A bit mischievous I expect and I don't think it ever came to anything.