Author Topic: Petzl Adjust Review  (Read 350 times)

Offline Tseralo

• regular
  • TSG
    • louisemcmahon.co.uk
Petzl Adjust Review
« on: June 02, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »
A few people took an interested when I bought this and as there isn't much info out there about their use in caving I thought I would write something.

A Petzl Adjust for thoes not in the loop is an adjustable cows tail made by Petzl and sells for around £40. I went with the dual connect with has a short cowstail and a long adjustable one. I've used it on around 30 trips now since I bought it last year including all the big SRT peak district trips, Titan, JH, Oxlow, Maskhill, Nettle, White river etc along with a few larger Yorkshire trips, Bar Pot, Diccan to Alum etc.

In Derbyshire, it's useless once its gets mud into it and the rope got a bit fluffy it became very hard to adjust but I also found very few places it was helpful to be able to adjust it. We have very few places you need to swing for rigging and traverse lines where it's useful to have a very short cowstail are also rare.

In Yorkshire, it was more useful mostly when rigging things like Diccan where you have to swing to the next bolts, you can swing, clip in your long then pull on it and it brings you right up to the bolts. The lack of mud really helps the mechanism work as it's not jammed up all the time.

It has one big downside that I found the rope is bent at quite an angle through the adjustment mechanism and that was eventually the downfall of mine having crawled through What passage at the top of block hall I found the sheath had ripped open. You also have to use a locking carabiner on the long or it will rotate as there is no barrel knot holding the carabiner in place.

Would I buy another one? If I was spending all my time rigging caves in Yorkshire and didnt have anything else to spend money on, probably. As I do 90% of my caving in Derbyshire I've been and spent £30 on 30m of dynamic that will keep me in cowstails for a long time.

I've attached some images of the Adjust bellow as you can see the metal parts and stitching have held up well.

Offline alastairgott

• 2 weeks till September...
  • forum hero
  • silvestre en los bosques
    • SILVESTRE
Re: Petzl Adjust Review
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:06:43 pm »

Glad your kit enjoyed Watt passage as much as you did! Now you first most favorite crawl. :lol:

Light off waiting on the other side... "what have you brought me here for.... OOh, Ahh, I see!"

Offline alastairgott

• 2 weeks till September...
  • forum hero
  • silvestre en los bosques
    • SILVESTRE
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 05:09:53 pm »
And the Classic...

"Whats this crawl called?"
"what!"
"Can you tell me the name of this Passage?"
"what!"
"does this passage have a name?"
"Watt Passage" :tease:

Offline Tseralo

• regular
  • TSG
    • louisemcmahon.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 05:11:08 pm »
Shall I tell everyone what happened on our trip to ROTV? and the subsequent lid measuring incident?

Offline GT

• menacing presence
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 05:11:27 pm »
Nice one!

Would be interesting to see what a dynamic drop test yields given there's no knots to absorb an impact

Offline Tseralo

• regular
  • TSG
    • louisemcmahon.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 05:13:01 pm »
Nice one!

Would be interesting to see what a dynamic drop test yields given there's no knots to absorb an impact

If someone has a rig to test that on I’m happy to donate it as the short is still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 05:13:21 pm »
Nice feedback and thanks Tseralo. Like you I too have had a play with this, thinking it might be a useful tool for SRT for making rebelays easier to negotiate but my conclusions are similar, but differently so, from yours based almost entirely on the snag-factor that the entire set-up presents for general movement around cave(s). It's a proper tapestry-in-the-making if you're crawling around or working in close confines.

Furthermore, I think things would be better if there was a greater sheer reduction in the locking element so it was easier to release the rope for fine-tuning; the present arrangement makes it quite tricky to unload and adjust even at a non-free-hanging rebelay.

Definitely love the concept and potential freedom of movement but I fear as cavers we are trying to re-task something which has been specifically manufactured to solve a sports climbing scenario. It's close, but no cigar.

If other cavers have experience with this device and have methodologies which make it supremely better than our present default then I'd love to hear from them.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 05:42:21 pm by Cap'n Chris »

Offline badger

• forum star
  • WSCC. WCC
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 06:49:08 pm »
I have one and love when I am rigging, and normally when moving through caves normally keep all the bits of srt kit in a small bag rather than dangling around my body.