Head torch opinions

Keris82

I know this is a common topic but I want some opinions please.

I had to return my fenix HL55 recently because the contacts got loose and the torch stopped working - bad design flaw!  :(

I have been looking at buying a black diamond revolt lamp. Has anyone got one and how do you find it? I have a backup black diamond storm torch which is ok but it's not totally waterproof so may not be suitable for very wet caving. Also the light it gives is more of a spot than giving a wide beam. I wonder if the Revolt is the same?  :-\

aricooperdavis

The revolt is a nice headtorch, but for me it's a camping/walking torch rather than a caving headtorch. It doesn't have an incredibly robust feel due to its size and plastic construction, and whilst it's bright enough the AAA batteries that it uses really lets it down on runtime. If you want to go with Black Diamond then I loved my Icon for caving. It's powered by 4x AA batteries giving it a reasonable brightness and runtime, and it's next to bombproof. It's also supported by the excellent black diamond warranty.

That being said, I think it's worth going for a torch powered by Li-Ion batteries these days, as the newer technology provides better runtimes and brightnesses, although you have to look after the batteries a bit more carefully as they have impressive energy densities. There are lots of manufacturers producing little torches that run on 18650 Li-Ions (look for reputable brands like Fenix, LedLenser, Olight, Zebra, Nitecore) with good beam colours and shapes. Some have the lens pointing out from the side of the body of the torch such that it can easily be strapped on the front of a helmet (e.g.), whilst others have the lens at the end of the torch so that they can be side-mounted on a helmet (e.g.). Loads of choice!

One thing to watch out for:- if you want to do any surveying try and avoid magnetic end pieces (which seem weirdly popular in these little torches from cheaper manufacturers) - they're a gimmick that you'll very rarely use and will muck up your compass readings!

Mike Hopley

Keris82 said:
I've seen a petzl ultra vario on inglesport. Has anyone got one?

I use an Ultra Vario. It's fairly bright with a nice wide flood, and weighs less than a Scurion.

At one point the light died, due to water getting inside. Petzl replaced it for free.

The Inglesport price is a good deal. They are selling it cheap because it's old stock and Petzl have replaced it with the new Duo S, which is brighter and more expensive.

Incidentally it is compatible with most of the accessories, so for example you can use those plastic bracket helmet mounts for Duos. Haven't actually used a new Duo battery with it, but fairly sure they would still work.

Ian Ball

I use an old Duo with Custom Duo inserts.  Very good value, although people tell me it will start to fail for a multitude of reasons I've yet to experience.

Keris82

Mike Hopley said:
I use an Ultra Vario. It's fairly bright with a nice wide flood, and weighs less than a Scurion.

Incidentally it is compatible with most of the accessories, so for example you can use those plastic bracket helmet mounts for Duos. Haven't actually used a new Duo battery with it, but fairly sure they would still work.

It puts me off a bit that you can't use a battery pack that takes standard batteries, as the battery pack for the ultra vario is about ?60 :(

Mike Hopley

Keris82 said:
It puts me off a bit that you can't use a battery pack that takes standard batteries, as the battery pack for the ultra vario is about ?60 :(

Yeah, this is generally an issue with fancy modern lights, although some (like the Scurion, I think?) at least give you the option to use AAs and take a performance hit.

rhyst

For someone on a budget:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1319109

Perfect for strapping to the side of the helmet, extremely bright, cheap, takes 18650s. They have low, medium and high modes, plus some flashing modes but there is a mode where it will only cycle through the solid modes (this is the 3/5 mode thing).

I've got two, and they have survived a lot of caving and some canyoning (so they're somewhat waterproof).

They're quite focused so if you want a more flood-ish light you can combine with the light condom accessory: https://www.fasttech.com/p/1140010

Madness

If you want a Convoy torch for the side of your helmet then the Official Convoy shop on Aliexpress is the best place to buy. Buy one that has the new Biscotti firmware and you can select from a wide range of mode options.

You can also buy optics to replace the reflector to change the beam shape.

Keris82

I'm still hunting for a light at a reasonable price. How does Roy Fellows lamps measure up against the scurions? I've heard good things about them and the price is much more attractive.

Commers

I'm returning to caving after a break and am also looking for a light. I was looking at the Roy Fellows Lynx Basic. I think his lights measure up well against Scurions, they're just spartan on features ie less programs, and they look more 'homebrew' which is not a bad thing.

Holes need to be drilled to bolt it to a helmet though which is something I prefer to avoid where possible - my helmet has strap clips so I may end up getting one of the Petzl Ultra Varios from Inglesport.

Fulk

Does anybody know if drilling a couple of small holes in a helmet really makes that much difference to its strength?

mikem

It doesn't for most impacts, but having bolts on the inside may cause more damage in a head on collision, & you may not be able to do it with modern foam helmets.

royfellows

Commers said:
I'm returning to caving after a break and am also looking for a light. I was looking at the Roy Fellows Lynx Basic. I think his lights measure up well against Scurions, they're just spartan on features ie less programs, and they look more 'homebrew' which is not a bad thing.

Fair assessment.
But for anyone who wants to pay the money for shear quality nothing will compete with Mr Biffs new Rude Nora.

Onto my own
The basic is a bit basic as I am meeting a ?95 cost target. Generally people have been happy with them, the only issues have been mud with Derbyshire diggers causing the buttons to stick.
I have built more expensive lamps with a IP 68 5 metre, 8 Newtons pressure push button, they they cost!

Horses for courses?

Commers

mikem said:
It doesn't for most impacts, but having bolts on the inside may cause more damage in a head on collision, & you may not be able to do it with modern foam helmets.
I like the idea of the light not being a hard bolted fixture - I've often thought that if the lamphead or battery box sustained a collision the strain on the bolts could possibly foul the helmet.

royfellows said:
But for anyone who wants to pay the money for shear quality nothing will compete with Mr Biffs new Rude Nora.

Onto my own
The basic is a bit basic as I am meeting a ?95 cost target. Generally people have been happy with them, the only issues have been mud with Derbyshire diggers causing the buttons to stick.
I have built more expensive lamps with a IP 68 5 metre, 8 Newtons pressure push button, they they cost!

Horses for courses?
Definitely. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend your lamps - as you say there's a price premium with the Rude Nora and I think anyone looking at that or the Scurion have already decided that's what they want.

PaulW

mikem said:

I have fitted and run internal cable on the new petzl Boreo helmet which has a large ploystyrene interior. Certainly this helmet you can completely dismantle for intalling and fixing the light

Keris82

PaulW said:
I have fitted and run internal cable on the new petzl Boreo helmet which has a large ploystyrene interior. Certainly this helmet you can completely dismantle for intalling and fixing the light

That was one of my concerns as I'm considering one of Roy's lights but my helmet has foam in it