Mines near Bala

Ship-badger

We are going to Bala for a week; what mines are nearby that I could take my lad into for a simple trip. He won't mind getting wet up to his knees, but no pitches. He's tough and has done plenty of mines and caves, but he hasn't done any ladders or SRT yet.
Thanks for any info.

RobinGriffiths

The 3 obvious ones are Prince Edward gold mine near Trawsfynydd SH 7428 3849, or take the B4391 to Blaenau and do Rhosydd, or if you can arrange a key from Go Below, Cwmorthin.

There are other gold mines around the Mawddach, but I'm not sure which would be worth visiting and have access allowed.

Llangynog to the south worth an explore, but again not sure about extent of enterable workings.

Robin

Ian Adams

Penarth Slate mine isn't too far away. It's parent, "Moel Fferna" is just a tad further but you do need an electron to get in.

;)

Ian

Graigwen

RobinGriffiths said:
The 3 obvious ones are Prince Edward gold mine near Trawsfynydd SH 7428 3849....

There are other gold mines around the Mawddach, but I'm not sure which would be worth visiting and have access allowed.

Robin

Prince Edward (Bwlch y Llu) is certainly a most interesting mine, although fairly small. The last time I saw it (about four years ago) the adit entrance had been sealed off with substantial timbers but access was still possible through the stope.

A lot of the gold mines near Dolgellau that were open access forty years ago have been sealed off now. A visit to https://www.aditnow.co.uk/ will give you a survey of Prince Edward mine and a forum where you can get more up to date info.

ChrisJC

I second Rhosydd & Penarth as being easy walk-ins.

Go Below will loan you a key no problem. You just have to give a ?20 deposit. Then you can go into Cwmorthin, but it's pretty extensive and easy to get lost!

Chris.

royfellows

Bala Cave
It was a stone mine for extracting the stone for the Ecclesiastical College. Turn left off the A4212 opposite the college and then right. Footpath on the left.
Typical pillar and stall, but suitable for anyone.

ILT

Cae'r Defaid slate mine also an easy one. Two unconnected levels the upper of which is a walk in with water no more than 200mm or so. Very nice iron stals/curtains. Not much in terms of mining remains (some sleepers a few of which have chairs on, small section of rail). Several large chambers worked to bank in a few places. The lower level entrance is flooded to chest height. A short distance away are some metaliferous trials but I've not looked at those.