Using an Endoscope

The Old Ruminator

Yes to all of those things Judi. My cable is two metres long. You would have to guide the camera somehow. NB. Not to be used in public toilets. ::)

Paul Marvin

The Old Ruminator said:
Yes to all of those things Judi. My cable is two metres long. You would have to guide the camera somehow. NB. Not to be used in public toilets. ::)

Ha Ha you could use it but I dont think it would go down to well  :blink:

pwhole

I had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago, and was very impressed with whatever they used - it had a fisheye lens of pretty much 180? field of view and seemed to be totally controllable. It was also displayed on the most hi-res monitor I've ever seen too - razor sharp, and it was quite an experience doing the 'Fantastic Journey' up my own colon. We got right to the top bend under my ribs - it was wild. Looked a bit like the main streamway in Peak Cavern, though with more veins, but (thankfully) no controlling bedding plane.

Speleofish

There is a certain strange, sordid beauty to the meanderings of the large bowel - much more attractive than the top end.

T pot 2

Them there endoscopes get into shit holes, around tight bends, thin places too, just like a caver in guatries pot 😝

JasonC

pwhole said:
I had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago, and was very impressed with whatever they used - it had a fisheye lens of pretty much 180? field of view and seemed to be totally controllable. It was also displayed on the most hi-res monitor I've ever seen too - razor sharp, and it was quite an experience doing the 'Fantastic Journey' up my own colon. We got right to the top bend under my ribs - it was wild. Looked a bit like the main streamway in Peak Cavern, though with more veins, but (thankfully) no controlling bedding plane.

When I had one, I got a print-out of some of the stills - they were very reminiscent of cave passage.  So much so, I was tempted to post one om the 'Wezzit?' thread, but thought it might be considered bad taste...

But it would have been nice to reveal the answer "My arse!"

pwhole

When I had one, I got a print-out of some of the stills - they were very reminiscent of cave passage.  So much so, I was tempted to post one om the 'Wezzit?' thread, but thought it might be considered bad taste...

I think you should post one here anyway, as they never offered me prints. Goddam cheapskates. Maybe their fancy monitor had maxed out their card. But I'd love to see one, just to help me remember - like Mr. Benn. I've still never seen the bloody astronaut episode!  :cautious:

https://nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1970s/mr-benn/

JasonC

pwhole said:

I think you should post one here anyway, as they never offered me prints. .....

well, you did ask... and apologies to viewers of a sensitive disposition!
Now I come to look again, they're not all that reminiscent of cave passage.  Maybe 'Caecum 1' passage might have kept wezziters going for a few minutes?

Attachments

• passages.jpg
    passages.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 156

Paul Marvin

T pot 2 said:
Them there endoscopes get into shit holes, around tight bends, thin places too, just like a caver in guatries pot 😝

I an one inserted down a very tight hole Mon and it was bloody agony, the consultant said " it may feel a little uncomfortable " it was like being tortured for 5 mins , bled for two days  :cry:

Alex

I an one inserted down a very tight hole Mon and it was bloody agony, the consultant said " it may feel a little uncomfortable " it was like being tortured for 5 mins , bled for two days  :cry:

If this is not a joke, then that's not normal practice, they are normally done under GA, though I guess it depends which hole.

Speleofish

General anaesthetic is unusual for endoscopies though some sedation is usually offered, especially for full colonoscopies and complex upper gut procedures.

Paul Marvin

Alex said:

If this is not a joke, then that's not normal practice, they are normally done under GA, though I guess it depends which hole.

I was offered nothing buddy and its not a wind up, to be more literal down the end of my penis into my bladder
:(

sinker

Paul Marvin said:
Alex said:

I was offered nothing buddy and its not a wind up, to be more literal down the end of my penis into my bladder

Yeah I've had that one mate; local anaesthetic, slight discomfort, no other issues; bish bosh job done.
The anticipation was worse than the procedure  :LOL:

The nurse was very complimentary; I think I "presented" myself very well considering the circumstances  :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Lets change the subject now eh.....?

Paul Marvin

sinker said:
Paul Marvin said:
Alex said:

Yeah I've had that one mate; local anaesthetic, slight discomfort, no other issues; bish bosh job done.
The anticipation was worse than the procedure  :LOL:

A local anesthetic mmm why didn't I get that ?

pwhole

I wasn't offered a local anaesthetic or sedation for my colonoscopy, but I was pretty wasted already so no biggie really - it went in OK! During my recent op they fitted a catheter into me, but thankfully I was under when they did it. I looked up how they do fit it afterwards, on my laptop in the hospital bed. That was an eye-opener. Though not as much as when the nurse took it out again :)

The photos are great - first Caecum looks just like the eyehole on the way to Moss Chamber in Peak Cavern. The second Caecum looks like a passage in the roof of Gentlewoman's Pipe I've been in  ;)

Slug

When I had mine done, they gave me gas for the pain, which can make you do funny things.

I sat up, and at the top of my voice sang the first few lines of this song, which, given the situation was, to me at least, the perfect tune to acompany the procedure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP3qZDXFRik

tony from suffolk

Paul Marvin said:
Alex said:

I had that done too but they couldn't complete the examination, what with the fibre-optic cable being too short & all.