What's lurking under Bristol?

F

fay

What on earth are those funny air vent things dotted around Clifton/Redland in Bristol?  There's something down there and I want to know what! I'm intrigued....

D

darkplaces

More information please fay, pictures would be very handy. For this type of thing www.c**tplaces.co.uk might be more your bag.

In Clifton mines do exist for which the ACG hold the key down on the docks.
http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=98

Bristol has all sorts of underground bits to it and was featured in 'Secret Underground' shown on ITV.

Also check it out on here - http://tunneling.irational.org/

graham

Fay, hi. Did Ben show you the way here?

Depending on which things you mean, they are probably connected to the main intercept sewer.

Despite what Darkplaces says, there are no significant mines under Clifton, those that are down by the docks are sand quarries & are under Redcliffe, not Clifton. There is a water conduit under Park Street & all sorts of other funny bits; some you can't get into, some are easy to access.

drainrat

A lot of them are vents to underground substations. The air coming out is rather warm, heated up by the transformers beneath the pavement. There is a good example at the bottom of Cranbrook Rd, another at the Gloucester Rd end of Sommerville Rd.

However, Graham is quite correct about the drainiage system. The Northern Storm Water Interceptor runs from Eastville, under Montpellier, under The Arches, under Clifton and flows out into the Avon Gorge at Black Rocks. This too has vents along it's length. If you look on the grass verge opposite Bristol Zoo, there is a strange little concrete and wooden construction. This is for access to said tunnel.

Drainrat.

Hughie

c**tplaces said:
More information please fay, pictures would be very handy. For this type of thing www.c**tplaces.co.uk might be more your bag.

In Clifton mines do exist for which the ACG hold the key down on the docks.
http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=98

Bristol has all sorts of underground bits to it and was featured in 'Secret Underground' shown on ITV.

Also check it out on here - http://tunneling.irational.org/

ACG do not hold any keys for anything in the Clifton area. They do, however, hold keys for Redcliffe Caves, which, oddly enough, are at Redcliffe and are actually mines.

Contact Axbridgecaver on this forum if you'd like to visit.

cap n chris

Not only are Redcliffe Caves haunted, but they are an arduous and committing undertaking, requiring SRT proficiency as a minimum.

D

darkplaces

cap 'n chris said:
Not only are Redcliffe Caves haunted, but they are an arduous and committing undertaking, requiring SRT proficiency as a minimum.
Bugger yes, me totally wrong and forgot my brains. While Cap 'n Chris is right to access the mines requires several free hanging re-belays once you open the shaft with the car parked onto.

Peter Burgess

In this thread, the underground holes at Redcliffe have been variously called 'sand quarries' (Graham), 'mines' (c**tplaces) and 'caves' (Hughie).

The traditional meaning of 'quarry' is a place where squared block stone is worked, surface or underground. The modern meaning is an opencast extraction site for mineral/rock.

So Graham is wrong on both counts.

The term 'mine' is far more accurate, although traditionally, a mine need not necessarily be underground.

The term 'cave' might be OK if the excavations were primarily made to create underground space, for storage for example.

So c**tplaces wins the prize for using the best terminology, and Graham has to do more homework tonight.

graham

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:quarry&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

:sneaky:

:tease:

Peter Burgess

I think my 30 years of research and study into old mines and quarries counts for more than Graham's five minutes googling for not necessarily reliable sources on the internet.

D

darkplaces

The mines v quarrys debate is a hot one. With most saying a quarry is opencast full stop and anything underground is a mine. Were as the quarrymen of Box called themselfs QuarryMen because they argued they needed/had more skill to pull a square block out then coal miners who just pulled out any shape of bits of coal. I had not heard the bit about;
The traditional meaning of 'quarry' is a place where squared block stone is worked, surface or underground.
This is interesting, do we have a reference to check this out as it would be the proper answer as to why Box is called a Quarry and not a Mine.

Hughie

Oxford English Dictionary says:-  Cave - "a large hollow in the side of a cliff, hill, etc., or underground."

You can google all you want, and have as many years of experience as you wish - they're still called Redcliffe Caves.

Here's a link  http://www.bristol-link.co.uk/entertainment/redcliffe-caves.htm

So, Graham  :tease:, Peter  :tease: and DP  :tease:

Peter Burgess

The problem is if you look in a modern dictionary you will get the modern definition of quarry. The modern distinction between quarry and mine came about in the latter years of the 19th century. It was 'enshrined' in the legislative process under the Mines and Quarries Act. There were challenges as to whether the slate mines in Wales were covered by the new legislation, as they considered themselves to be quarries, whereas the law said they were mines. Legally, a quarry, to be covered by the legislation, had to be an open excavation more than 20ft deep.

BEFORE the modern definitions came about, quarries were places you got stone for building. In all my research into stone extraction in Surrey (and elsewhere), the underground workings for building stone were NEVER called mines in contemporary documents (19th century and earlier), and were nearly ALWAYS called quarries, and very occasionally pits. The term 'mine' was only ever used (in Surrey) for those excavations that were dug for sand, or hearthstone (which was not for building - it was for the peculiar purpose of rubbing onto doorsteps, windowsills and hearths) Buy my book for more fascinating facts!

graham

My understand after 30 years and six months study of the underground is that mines are where minerals are extracted from; whereas quarries are where country rock is removed. Surface or underground is not really relevant. However, there are always discussions as to the nature of coal as both underground and open cast workings are commonly referred to as mines.

Having said that the folk who work coal are colliers rather than being either miners or quarrymen.

Peter Burgess

graham said:
My understand after 30 years and six months study of the underground is that mines are where minerals are extracted from; whereas quarries are where country rock is removed. Surface or underground is not really relevant. However, there are always discussions as to the nature of coal as both underground and open cast workings are commonly referred to as mines.

Well, bully for you. I was specifically describing the terms as used in their traditional or historical context, and not the modern usage. I would be very interested to see any historical references you may have to 'building stone mines', say pre-1850?

Peter Burgess

Peter Burgess said:
The problem is if you look in a modern dictionary you will get the modern definition of quarry. The modern distinction between quarry and mine came about in the latter years of the 19th century. It was 'enshrined' in the legislative process under the Mines and Quarries Act. There were challenges as to whether the slate mines in Wales were covered by the new legislation, as they considered themselves to be quarries, whereas the law said they were mines. Legally, a quarry, to be covered by the legislation, had to be an open excavation more than 20ft deep.

BEFORE the modern definitions came about, quarries were places you got stone for building. In all my research into stone extraction in Surrey (and elsewhere), the underground workings for building stone were NEVER called mines in contemporary documents (19th century and earlier), and were nearly ALWAYS called quarries, and very occasionally pits. The term 'mine' was only ever used (in Surrey) for those excavations that were dug for sand, or hearthstone (which was not for building - it was for the peculiar purpose of rubbing onto doorsteps, windowsills and hearths) Buy my book for more fascinating facts!

More accurately, the challenge from the Welsh slate quarries was to the Metalliferous Mines Regulations under the terms of which the slate quarries fell. They didn't see how they could be called metalliferous mines! Nevertheless, they did have to fall in line.