Author Topic: Trip report: Ride of the Valkeries  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Katie

• forum star
Trip report: Ride of the Valkeries
« on: September 02, 2007, 04:33:40 pm »
Me, Rob and Rob2 went caving yesterday. At about 11:30 we started dwon TITAN which we already had rigged. From there we made our way to Calcite aven and up we went. It did seem a bit wierd to be going up there and not be going digging! From here we down Balcombes way. The Ride of the Valkeries is awesome, a nice exposed traverse with the floor getting further and further way till you reach the pitch head. You immediately drop over a lip that gives you a view of the impressive pitch below. At the bottom me and rob went to look at Salmans cavern whilst rob2 rerigged it as a pull thru. However we never managed to the pull the rope down as there was just to much friction. So rob2 set off back up the rope, however as it had been rigged to pull thru and not to prussik up there was some rub points and in one place the sheath did go! Eek. At the top rob2 chucked the rope down, which me and rob packed whilst he headed back down calcite aven. He met as again just as we had finished packing the rope - which was very tangled and cover in a thick layer of mud. Then we all headed back to TITAN. I went up first, followed by rob2 then rob.

Really good trip overall - I would definatly recommend Ride of the Valkeries to anyone who likes open pitches! It is much fun!

Offline Cave_Troll

• forum hero
  • SUSS
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/cave_troll/
Re: Trip report: Ride of the Valkeries
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:36:26 am »
better if you can persuade someone else to rig first, then you can go up it properly

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:53:43 am »
Ey up batgirl,

Nice report; sounds like a great trip! I don't find myself in that part of Peak very often but have spoken to Ann S about the Ride of the Valkyries and your report reminded me about it. Was after doing a pull-through but sounds like there are issues with that!

Cheers,
Jules.

Online Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:40:19 pm »
Was after doing a pull-through but sounds like there are issues with that!

It shouldn't be too hard to pull the rope through if you use the two bolts about 8m down from the main y-hang. They are not "pull through" bolts though so you will have to sacrifice a crab or two! They give almost a free hang down to a big ledge with a way to the floor down about 10m either side. At which point you could pull through to there and two people then each abseil down one side. This way i'm sure you'll be able to get the rope down. To do this you'll need a 30m for the traverse and down and then an 80m to get to the ledge. Then you can re-use the 30m to do this bottom bit.

Alternatively I'm sure Rob2 will agree that it's a nice trip back up and around, as long as the rope doesn't break!!!

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o
The end is where we start....

Offline caverholic

• menacing presence
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:05:13 pm »
hoorah, me and a couple of others did it this way, partly because the rope wasn't long enough to reach the ledge from the top hang at the end of the traverse. I seem to remember sacrificing on of henry's mallions so that may still be there to use.  :)

Tut tut Rob 2 seems to be making a habit of trashing SUSS ropes  :chair:

Maybe another pull though system needs to be setup part way down.

Online Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • Eldon PC
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:42:19 pm »
I seem to remember sacrificing on of henry's mallions so that may still be there to use.  :)
Tehehe, it was a crab, thank you please :)
(i didn't realise it's use till we got to the bottom :wall: will replace sometime maybe possibly)
The end is where we start....

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:02:57 pm »
I remember the first descent of the Ride. It was before there was any other way into Far Sump Extension without a long dive dragging big haul sacks of climbing gear. On the tail end of a very long trip Russell and I had just discovered this great shaft and the compass told us we should be somewhere over Salmon's Cavern. It was already early evening by this stage and we were gagging for a pint. If we went back via Calcite Aven we knew we could make the pub. But when you've just found a deep pitch and you've got a full bag of rope, it's very tempting to stay and explore it, even though the delay caused by shoving in the bolts might mean the pub gets missed.

We deliberated over this for some time before trusting the survey and going for it. Sure enough we dropped into familiar territory and not long after we were back at Far Sump kitting up. Soon, two very thirsty divers were finning for all they were worth, followed by a lightning whizz out of Peak in record time. We strolled into the Peak Hotel at 10-40 p.m. and managed 6 pints before the gong went!

Cracking trip that . . . .

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal