Author Topic: Exmoor caves  (Read 8427 times)

Offline Caving Nat

• addict
Exmoor caves
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:55:58 pm »
Are there any novices caves around the Exmoor National Park?
"Those who dance are considered insane... by those who cannot hear the music!!"

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
Re: Exmoor caves
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:58:29 pm »
A few old mines, but sorry I have no details.

Offline gus horsley

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »
There's virtually nothing in Exmoor.  There's a  couple of adits near Combe Martin and a few inland where there were iron mines, none of which are worth a special trip.  The only vaguely interesting area is to the north of South Molton where a couple of small mines produced micaceous hematite and copper but overall Exmoor isn't renowned for its wealth of underground sights.

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:00:03 pm »
There is a cave, in Limestone  :o near Combe Martin. It is called Napps Cave and is tight and torturous. It is also gated and accessis currently denied.  :(
I'm a very busy person

Offline gus horsley

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 06:39:57 pm »
There is a cave, in Limestone  :o near Combe Martin. It is called Napps Cave and is tight and torturous. It is also gated and accessis currently denied.  :(

I didn't include this one for those reasons.

Offline Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 06:40:56 pm »

I didn't include this one for those reasons.

Ooops  :-[
I'm a very busy person

Vance

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:40:08 am »
I was mountain biking around Lynton last weekend and saw a lot of exposed rock in places that looked suspiciously like limestone (not being a geologist...) There was also a couple of places that looked like promising cave entrance but I was prevented from furtalling about by the rest of my group. The tributaries to the river Lyn and the Lyn itself were also in very steeply sided valleys which reminded me of limestone erosion. Anybody know anything more about this area?

Offline gus horsley

• forum hero
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:28:13 pm »
You were probably looking at the Valley of The Rocks which does superficially resemble a limestone gorge with a few overhangs and bits that look like they go somewhere but unfortunately don't.  The rock is Carboniferous, but shales and grits as opposed to limestone.

Offline ttxela

• junky
  • WCMS, PDMHS
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 01:41:58 pm »
You were probably looking at the Valley of The Rocks which does superficially resemble a limestone gorge with a few overhangs and bits that look like they go somewhere but unfortunately don't.  The rock is Carboniferous, but shales and grits as opposed to limestone.

Isn't there supposed to be a "witches cave" there, or is that entirely  ficticious?
If you've been affected by any of the issues raised in this post you can contact our helpline on 0800........

Offline gus horsley

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 03:50:59 pm »
Isn't there supposed to be a "witches cave" there, or is that entirely  ficticious?

yes, but it's little more than an overhang.

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 04:28:30 pm »
 Mother Meldrum’s Cave in the Valley of the Rocks.  NGR SS 704 495 Sign posted.  Looking south, there are 3 potential sites.  The lower one is a triangular entrance, c 5 feet wide, 2 feet high which goes back for 5 feet.  It is formed by a boulder resting against the rock face.  The middle cave is most likely to be Mother Meldrum’s Cave.  The entrance is 5 feet high and 3 feet wide and goes back for 5 feet.  Again a boulder cave.  Higher up and to the west there is a shadow which looks like a cave.  I sent Anne up and she confirmed it was a shadow.  A search of the area failed to find any larger crevices. 
This lady was the legendary seer who was visited by John Ridd in R D Blackmore’s Lorna Doone.  Other caves nearby are:  Wringapeak Cave.  Dog Cave, Hannington’s Cave.  Stepping Stones Cave, Cathedral Cave.
References:
http://members.madasafish.com/~exmoorwalker/page100.html
Accessed 11.08/08
Log Entry Vol 30 No 031108 see visit Tuesday 4 November, 2008. 
Blackmore, R D [1869] Reader’s Digest Edition 1995 Lorna Doone / A Romance of Exmoor.  Mother Meldrum’s Cave  p 121 refers to two caves.  One at Valley of the Rocks which she used in winter and another which he used in summer at Hawkridge, near Tarr-steps. p 321 where she is referred to as a witch “living in a cavern by the sea”.  Other cave  references on this book which are probably fictious: pp 251 “cavern is pretty wide”. p 284 “cavern of skeleton”  p 321 “a cavern to herself”  324 “lived in a cave” p 535 “darkness of the cavern”.

Offline Mr Dinwiddy

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 09:43:57 am »
There are Exmoor caves but they are all sea caves and as far as I remember they are all in Devonian sandstones and grits rather than limestone. They run from Hurlstone Point (Nr Porlock) in the east to Baggy Point (Barnstaple way) in the west. There are at least 20 or so but none of them are easy to get to and they are all tidal so can only be accessed at low tide for a few hours. There is a book called the Hidden Edge of Exmoor by Kester Webb that details the caves and cliffs but its not a conventional guidebook.

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 09:58:31 am »
 Hidden Edge of Exmoor by Kester Webb

Appears to be a rare book.  Not on Ebay or ABE book. Can anybody lend or sell me a copy?

Offline robjones

• forum star
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 05:47:24 pm »
Two copies on copac (http://copac.jisc.ac.uk) so can probably be borrowed on inter-library loan.

Seemingly still available from http://www.thematic-trails.org/index.htm for £12.00

Two youtube videos of this title buy the  same authors:
and

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 06:41:15 pm »
Libraries in Wales appear to be going bust.  They do not do inter-library loans.  Not sure what I pay rates for.  Might have to part with £12.00  :down:

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 07:00:47 am »
I bought a copy in Lynmouth last year - it is very good, but doesn't provide much info on the caves beyond where they are.

Mike

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
Re: Exmoor caves - Hidden Edge of Exmoor by Kester Webb
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 09:52:04 am »
Dear Mike

Are you willing to lend it to me?  I will will pay postage.  I can return it with a week.

Regards - Tony

[email protected]

Offline richardg

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 12:55:27 pm »
Not far away is the Buddleysalterton (?) Pebble beds rock formation which has a few caves and potential for more.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 09:51:47 am »
You ought to buy a copy as it is a small geological publisher, or they might exchange a copy for some of your spares...

Mike

Offline Karen S

• addict
  • Orpheus CC, PDMHS, NPC
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 01:40:07 pm »
Hi Mike

Out of date thread, I know, but which shop did you buy this book in, can you remember, or roughly where it is in Lynmouth.  Will be visiting next month.

Thanks
Karen

I bought a copy in Lynmouth last year - it is very good, but doesn't provide much info on the caves beyond where they are.

Mike

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 04:10:49 pm »
I would say the nearest caves to Exmoor - and they aren't really near are those on the Quantocks.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 08:01:17 pm »
Karen, they seem to stock them in tourist info & national park place (the NW coast book is also very good if you're interested in the geology):
https://www.thematic-trails.org/exmoor-coast.htm

https://www.devonlife.co.uk/out-about/places/discover-north-devon-s-hidden-coastline-1-3825078

Offline Karen S

• addict
  • Orpheus CC, PDMHS, NPC
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 07:33:28 pm »
Thanks Mike, I'll keen an eye open for it.  I'm really surprised I haven't seen it before, but the title doesn't make it that obvious.  Thanks for the info.   ;D