Author Topic: Archaeological Finds. Can you help?  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
Archaeological Finds. Can you help?
« on: February 28, 2008, 12:16:26 pm »
Hi there folks.

A question came up on a recent trip into the Surrey stone quarries about an archaeological find, specifically a 16th century jug, found in the 1970s and conserved and looked after by Croydon CC. I remember the club used to have a small collection of objects which I think were used in displays and so on. The person I asked said he had no idea what had happened to these objects, and when he asked one of the older CCC members who actually found it and wrote an excellent piece about it in Pelobates, he also had no idea. I would very much like to have the chance to see the jug and any other objects the club still has, to photograph, measure and sketch them for my records. Is there any chance you could chase this up with the more senior members, or pass my request on at your next committee meeting?

Many thanks!

Peter

Offline jiant

• regular
  • Croydon CC
    • Croydon Caving Club
Re: Archaeological Finds. Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »
Hi Pete.

I'll bring this up with the members and the committee.  Some of them should be reading this...

Regards,

James.
Croydon Caving Club
www.croydoncavingclub.org.uk

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:02:32 pm »
Excellent, James. Many thanks! This is part of a larger project to get all the details I have on artefacts and other related features together into a searchable online database.

Offline jiant

• regular
  • Croydon CC
    • Croydon Caving Club
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:09:19 pm »
Email sent to club list.

James.
Croydon Caving Club

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 08:21:33 pm »
Email sent to club list.

James.

Excellent, James. Thank you.

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:19:43 pm »
Last night AdrianP told me he used to have them, and now he thinks AllanO has them. I shall drop him a line sometime. Meanwhile, if you could confirm this next time you meet, that would be excellent.  :)

Offline Chris Crowley

• regular
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 06:48:03 pm »
hi I think Matyin Hatton has them with the archive stuff I could see him friday I`ll ask him chris ;)

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 08:01:38 pm »
Thanks, Chris, if you don't mind. AdrianP thought AllanO had them. It was Paul Sowan who told me that Martin didn't have them, but I don't know when he asked.
Welcome to the asylum, by the way. The only difference between Godre Pentre and here is you don't have to sweep and tidy up after anyone, after they have been silly. :)

Offline jiant

• regular
  • Croydon CC
    • Croydon Caving Club
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 03:43:45 pm »
Peter,

I've had a reply from Martin Hatton, complete with a drawing and a slide but no location of the jug.  If you personal message me your email address I can send the attachments.

Hi James

Sorry for the delay in replying to this but after Chris suggested that I might have this pot in the archive I thought I ought to check all the boxes. I have now done this.

There are no artefacts from the Surrey quarries in the Croydon CC archive. I think that Chris is right and that the various finds were formerly kept in the library / archive. However I haven't seen the pot, or anything else for years. I suspect that all the finds went awol during one of the many relocations which the archive has undergone during the past three decades. I would be surprised if they can be found now; but if anyone else in the Club does know where they are that would be great.

As it is, all I can do is point Pete to the article on pp15-17 of Pelobates 31, May1977. I also attach a copy of the drawing from that article which has been redrawn to conform to archaeological illustration conventions i.e. half section through the left-hand side and complete on the right. Also attached is a photograph made from a slide taken by Frank Thompson for Croydon CC in 1977.

Please can you pass this reply to Pete, together with the attachment, and say that I'm sorry but I don't think I can be any more help than this.

Yours &c.

Martin Hatton
Croydon Caving Club

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal