Author Topic: Near misses, epics and errors  (Read 9373 times)

Offline mudmonkey

• stalker
Near misses, epics and errors
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:48:59 pm »
A recent conversation in the pub led me to draw this up.

Over the years I have had more than one (!!) near miss. There are themes in near misses you hear about in the pub. So, below is a pile of the best ones. Hopefully there's something to be learned from them - if only  :o (NB - I have been caving for quite a few years and never yet had a call-out!) Slightly seriously, it's better to learn from someone else's cock-ups than your own  ;D (yup, all you lot, 'fess up, I'm not the only blunder-magnet in the club!)

Incident: Derig of cave with cavers still underground Swildon's
Team of 5 separated at Sump 1; team who visited Sump2 derigged cave. Muggins starts to derig whilst the rest of Sump2 team head out - but gets back to car first. All is not well. Run round top of cave to find rest of Sump 2 team - still not the rest of the other team. Hmmmm. Quick jolly undertaken to re-rig the 20'..... :-[
Good things - we worked out what had gone wrong, and corrected them, fairly quickly. The "casualties" are now married  :kiss2:
Learning point - if a team is to split, need very clear communication of each team's plans!

Incident: Hypothermia and SRT rescue - Oxlow
4 cavers, one new to SRT, one practicing rigging, one experienced but prone to getting cold.  Rigger, then me, then novice, then chilly caver. Surface very cold. Clear by bottom of third pitch that chilly caver was too cold and needed to get out. Sent cold caver up first - took so long with deviation that was necessary to follow up and assist. "casualty" was able to prussik up 2nd pitch with a small assist from above but required a haul for the top pitch. On surface casualty hardly able to walk; changed and supplied with tea at Oxlow House Farm
Good things - hypothermia spotted and trip aborted. SRT difficulties resolved mid-rope. Successful pitch haul. Nice tea.  :coffee:
Learning points - suspected hypothermic "casualties" should have a caver above them! Don't leave small people standing around on the surface getting cold....

Incident - Illness and exhaustion, White River Series from Peak Cavern in/out via Colostomy
Feeling slightly unwell, uncertain of whether to do WRS or not. Decided to "go for it". At the top of the pitches, was feeling really quite ill. Later in trip took over an hour to descend Block Hall, getting strung up at each rebelay! Required gentle (though considerable!) encouragement to exit via Colostomy. :yucky:
Good things - competent team-mates assisting
Learning point - make allowance for illness

Incident - false roof - Water Icicle
Digging upwards into an aven from the end of a phreatic tube, sheltering in the end of the tube over several trips. Returned 12
months later to find the roof at the end of the tube on the floor.
Good thing - we weren't there to hear the thud.
Learning point - in muddy digs, roofs can be deceptive - look carefully!

Incident - Overdue - Titan-JH (straight through)
Caving with another club. Expressed concern about team experience before going down but assured all were competent. One team member complained of tiredness whilst climbing out of Salmon's Cavern. All team members exited under own steam but very slow. - trip took about 12 hours before the last person (me!) got out. Transpired that of 4 fellow team-members, 3 were in their first six months of caving....
Good things - although inexperienced, none of the team made any fundamental SRT errors and were able to exit under own steam
Learning points - need to be willing to stand ground if unsure of team's ability to undertake demanding trip, and sceptical of
assurances about inexperienced cavers.  :chair:

Incident - overdue - Titan climbing trip
4 experienced cavers, evening trip to Titan. All went smoothly though rigging rather slow. Running late and nearing end of trip so sent out one team member. Team member surfaced but could not locate car  :shrug: ; concerned club members arrived as second caver exited.
Good thing - all got out in one piece!
Learning points - set a generous call-out for exploratory trips. If sending someone out solo, ensure that they can find their way back from the cave to the roadside easily. If the cave is a distance from the car, consider leaving a mobile phone at the entrance.

Incident - overdue - Bye George - Link Pot through trip
Trip took longer than expected due to over-optimistic estimates by a certain caver who could do the trip quite quickly. We couldn't, so came out late having aborted at Mistral. Further delayed as had issues finding the hole and no map...... :doubt:
Good things - no call-out as those at hut realised our time was too optimistic. Aborted trip partway through to minimise overdue.
Learning points - beware the sandbag - get "beta" from a range of people! If in doubt about where the entrance is, take a good map or carefully study a map before hand

Incident - nearly killed Mandy, Aygill caverns
One caver descended pitch with no deviation. From above pitch appeared to require deviation so second caver pendulummed to locate one. Big block fell off and landed very close to first caver.
Good things - the rock missed. The near-victim was from Manchester.
Learning point - even in popular caves, bits can fall off the wall. Stand clear at the foot of pitches, especially if someone is pratting around!

Incident - Draenen tried to kill Biffa.
On descent of welded, fixed ladder, a ping was heard. Then a tinkle as the rung landed.
Good thing - Biffa held on.
Learning point - fixed ladders can fail on spot welds. Lifelines are your friend

Incident - Draenen tried to kill Biffa (2)

Whilst sitting on a slope, caver began to fall towards climb. caver at foot of climb was spotting a third caver's descent, but tried to catch first caver. This had the effect of inverting the first caver into the streamway head-first and banging his shin. He was also dischuffed at having had his fall broken by his goolies :wall:
Good thing - it was the wrong climb so no-one has to go that way :clap2:
Learning points - find the right climb. Ensure you choose a cave near a handy source of restorative nerve tonic  :beer2:

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
Re: Near misses, epics and errors
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:35:52 am »
Rob Taviner of the WCC is thinking of a book along these lines and might like contributions. Don't know whether he is on the forum. His idea was Tales of Derrring Don't and I have submitted some my boo boo's to him.  Your false roof story reminds me of a dig I was doing on my own in Scotland when, having temporarily backed down a sloping bedding with a boulder floor I was excavating, I heard a loud thud and saw what I thought was a solid rock roof section lying on the floor I had just vacated!

Offline zucca

• CUCC's trainee social butterfly
  • regular
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:45:41 pm »
mh... the overdue titan-JH trip sounds VERY familiar...   :ang:

mudmonkey, if you are S.J., you should also remember this one:

Incident: lost on Leck Fell
It was a very cold and foggy December night. We were saved by blowing a whistle and (luckily) attracting attention of people in the car park.
Learning Point: carry a whistle/a smallish compass and take the bearing of the car park

z
We are all born charming, fresh and spontaneous and must be civilized before we are fit to participate in society. (Judith Martin, "Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behaviour")

Offline ian.p

• forum star
  • FSC,EECC, SMCC,SUSS,ULSA,BCRA
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 02:58:40 pm »
a couple of close shaves/painfull incidents ive had that spring to mind:
after a sherper trip into wigmore swallet back at the bottom of the entrance pitch nackered and standing about like a lemon fist sized rock comes hurtling down richochets of a wall and smacks into the front of me helmet.
Good points: I was wearing a helmet else wise id be dead and the rock hit my head rather than a shoulder so less risk of serios damige!
Lesson learned: always keep away from the bottom of pitchs when folk are above you.

another sherpering trip last person thrue a squeze onto a pitch head i was minding a bag that was being dragged infront of me and dragging a smaller bag behind unfourtunatly the bag jammed leaving me hung up head first on the pitch head. freed myself only to watch my lamp ping of my helmet and drop down the pitch i wasnt carying a spare...
leson learned: dont try and drag bags behind thrue squeezes onto pitchs. Always cary a back up light.

camping in a cave wake up in desperate need of a piss go to step out of the pit i was sleeping in and smacked my head on the roof.... it realy hurt :'(.
Lesson learned: take a bit of time to wake up properly before you go anywhere underground if the bogs a way away consider puting your lid on. 

Goatchurch
panicking caver in a tight climb offered my shoulder as a foot hold and ended up having him stand on me head instead result fecked neck that had only just recovered from jumping into the back of a landrover...
lesson learned: make sure if theyre going to use your shoulder that you guide there foot onto it. Dont be afraid to shout at them to get off i didnt cos i thought they were panicking enough as it was in hindsight i think i probably should of done.

gibbets brow
pushing a very tight lead in a cave with dodgey air got a fair way up befor realising i wasnt getting any air jammed in and stuck to the mud in the bottom of the passige i found i couldnt reverse thankfully a fellow digger maniged to grab an ankle and pull me out.
lesson learned: take special care in caves with foul air when pushing dificult leads make sure youve got a trusty thin mate who can pull you out if it all goes wrong!

Burnies pot
caping a lead in the cave nearly ready to fire when a team mate checking a lead above me started a rockfall hear a shout of Peachey look up and manige to get under a ledge just fast enough to avoid being hit by a load of flying rocks if id been squashed it could of beeen quite impresive as i had a tube of ~80 black hiltis in my top pocket...
Lesson learned: dont climb above people when theyre busy!! shout below if you dislodge a rock and not the persons name.

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:26:04 pm »
Incident - Near free-fall down Eldon Hole
Doing Eldon Hole by South Gully route with two others many years ago. Mark threads the rope onto his Petzl Stop and removes cowstail whilst leaning back on the rope. We all hear ripping sound. Mark spots his gear loop is parting company from his harness and also that hsi Stop is clipped to the gear loop instead of his central maillon! Just in time he grabs the rope and pulls himself back onto the ledge!
Good thing - The loop started to rip early and Mark spotted in in time.
Learning point - Always attach your descender to your maillon and not anywhere else.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:45:36 pm by paul, Reason: Fixed bold attributes »
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline seddon

• obsessive maniac
    • http://starlessriver.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:47:10 pm »
That learning point wouldn't work for me, for an awful lot of the caving I do...

:blink:

But that might be an issue of this caver's build, not the tightness of the caves

;)
Starless River Caving Equipment @ www.starlessriver.com

Offline ian.p

• forum star
  • FSC,EECC, SMCC,SUSS,ULSA,BCRA
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:11:05 pm »
when i clip my descender to a gear loop i always clip a cows tail through the gear loop and descders krab incase the gear loop comes of in a crawl/meander the added bonus is that its very dificult not to realise its on a gear loop when you come to thread it up and B even if you did for whatever reason fail to notice it wasnt on the mailon then it ends up at the end of your cows tail in a similer position to where youd have it for abseiling through a squeze so with a stop especialy you might not die.... not realy a substitute for checking though!

Offline seddon

• obsessive maniac
    • http://starlessriver.com
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 06:18:44 pm »
If you can't tell the difference between brake and accelerator when driving, that may also cause you to die.

Good to check the important stuff, especially when tired / stressed / distracted by exposure.

Getting stuck, through wearing inappropriate bits of kit in narrow caves is also no fun - I've tried it. No point making a general rule to deal with a specific situation, then finding a whole other set of problems arise as a result...if we do that, we might as well be kneejerk policy-making government ministers!
Starless River Caving Equipment @ www.starlessriver.com

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:57:43 pm »
Following a theme

Incident - Nearly killed by falling rock  in Nettle.
Hanging around at bottom of pull through on way to Derbyshire Hall whilst first person reached the belay, Heard a yelp looked up just in time to see a rock the size of a portable TV skim between the shoulders of myself and the lad stood next to me.
Good point. Daves over suit was only mildly scuffed on the shoulder and neither of us was instantly killed.
Learning point - dont hang around at the bottom of pitches without making some attempt to shelter from falling objects.

Incident - Nearly Fell down pitch in Maskhill.
Cant remember which pitch it was - there's a little concrete step that you can sort of scramble down or ab over. maybe an 8 foot drop.
On way out, took bags up it once - returning down to collect other bags. didn't use rope, just sat on it facing out and started a controlled slither - soon became very uncontrolled. Landing is hideous uneven fluted rock. Somehow managed to land cat like on the two 6 inches of flat ground, then started bounding down hill in an attempt to loose momentum. managed to come to a stop 6 feet from pitch head.
Good points. Didn't turn or break ankle. didnt plummet headlong down pitch.
Learning points. Dont rush or get blarsay on easy climbs - Limestone, unlike gritstone, is rather slippy.

Incident - Nearly fell down pitch in Juniper Gulf.
Derigging from top of the top of 'the big' pitch in mega flood conditions. Partner is running ahead carrying rope from main pitch.
There is a block that you have to hump over - infact this one

Note how Cap'n Chris has his cows tails attached - well I didn't. having said that, the rope just ended at the bottom tied onto the tackle sack, so really - it should have been a hand jammer attached (alright - strictly a shunt, as the likely hood is a fall onto it).
Which leads me to..
This place was like being in a car wash when we were there, spray from every angle. All alone, belly flopped onto the top of the boulder - only to start sliding backwards. Slowly at first then accelerating, nowt I could do about it. went over backwards, all the time thinking "how far away was that main pitch!!!".
Good point - my leg got stuck in the big crack down the side - and I was left hanging upside down. And I didnt break my leg either.
Learning point - as above, dont rush trying to keep up with your mate, especially at pitchheads. Take your time, think about it. Protect yourself.

Good thread Cave monkey

Offline Cave_Troll

• forum hero
  • SUSS
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/cave_troll/
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:23:49 am »
Incident: abseiling in Knotlow
Abseiling down the 1st pitch in the climbing entrance to Knotlow. Using a 30m rope. rack hits a tangle of rope. I shake the rope to free the tangle and look down to see the knot in the end of the rope. It appears that i was in the main engine shaft and thus 30m above the floor on the knot.

Good point. The knot saved my life

Learning points: try to make sure you know which pitch you're in. Tie a knot in the ends of ropes

A very similar story can be told from a climbing perspective. On the first day of a sports climbing holiday a friend of mine was dropped when the end of the rope was let through his belayer's belay device. It turns out it was a 27m climb that he was trying to do with a 50m rope. Result - open Radius/ulna and a new wrist joint.
Learning points: same thing. make sure you know how long the sports climb is and tie a knot in the end of your rope!

Offline Brendan

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.shef.ac.uk/~suss
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 03:56:24 pm »
Incident - training at access place
While practicing SRT, it is wise to make sure your central maillon is actually done up. The sound of your hand jammer hitting the floor, and realising you are hanging on by your cowstails which are held by the bend of the D-ring, which in turn is only through one loop of your harness is an alarm that all is not well. However, it could be argued that this would be better avoided, as the stains can be tricky to wash out of your underwear. Also, it doesn't impress the Freshers you are trying to teach SRT, or fill them with confidence. 

Good points - I could climb onto a ledge, and await for a new D-ring, my hand jammer, and my rack to be returned to me. I also haven't doe the same thing twice
Learning points - Make sure your SRT kit is on properly. I have nearly had a similar problem with old loose D rings, and I know of another caver who has done the same thing down P8.

Incident - Turbary Pot pull down (not pull through - note)
Not me. A pull through planned for Simpsons came unstuck when the wrong, and blind, pothole was located, and this was only realised after the rope was pulled down.
Good points - the members concerned are probably experts on Turbary Pot after 12 hours there. No-one was hurt, just embarrassed
Learning points - pulling down a blind pot is unlikely to provide a good trip. Make sure you are confident of your route before committing to a pull through

The original underground extreme ironer

psychomansam

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:27:53 am »
As I've had the wonderful if occasionally dubious honour of caving with Mudmonkey a fair bit over the past year or two I shall mention one more theme... ...and sorry for this mudmonkey...

Dropping kit down pitch:
Mudmonkey finishes ladder&lining up novicey cavers after a rather damp P8 trip. Takes stop off bolt, drops down pitch and exits cave with the chilly novices leaving me to A. Get very wet under the first pitch waterfall finding his stop. B. Derig C. Make a complete cock-up of coiling the ladder, which then uncoiled on the way out and gained excess wear as i dragged half of it out behind me...

Positive: Stop didn't hit me
Negative: If it had I might have found it quicker

Dropping kit down pitch(2)
Mudmonkey leaves me to de-rig carlswank, which i successfully do, then bend down to pick the tackle bag up and hear a clatter as fixe pulley falls out a hole in my cordura arm pocket and down pitch. I consider my options, and head straight back to the car (thus making the pub)

Positive: Managed to get to pub
Negative: My Z-rigs are now less efficient

Lesson: Keep stuff clipped in as much as possible when near pitch heads!

::)

Offline Lurker

• player
  • TSG
    • My Caving Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:59:20 am »
Not in SUSS myself but here's a couple:
Incident: Dangers of underground urination
Had a pee underground just before descending a pitch. This involved undoing my central MR (sometimes pee-ing through it/below it is just too much hassle). Aware of the horror stories of people finding open maillons mid-pitch I was extra careful to make sure I did my central maillon back up properly. Unfortunately just after getting on the pitch, rigging my stop and un-clipping my cowstails I realised I had forgotten to thread it through the other side of the harness before doing it up, resulting in a fairly lopsided abseil!
Lessons learnt: don't be an idiot.

Incident: more dropping stuff down a pitch
A friend was clipping his cowstails in to the traverse line at the top of a big (~80m) pitch as we watched him. As he un-weighted the down rope, a tinkle was heard and we watched his hand jammer plunge into the darkness below! Somehow the maillon fixing it to the safety cord had opened. Good job it didn't happen mid-pitch or at a rebelay!
Lessons learnt: check maillons and make sure they screw shut downwards (or I guess use a krab).
Lurking online and underground since 2006

RM

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 07:17:47 pm »
Incident 1

Bought 50 harder and headed for Growling Hole. One member of the club who was the tackle officer packs the ropes, except he assumes a gold 25m and two ladders is a gold 100m. We get halfway through the crawl and i see shiny metal. Mistake realised. We decide to continue and the first two pitches are small, so we reckon we can (erhum dont try this at home kids) freeclimb the ladders (can u see where this is going yet). Continue down to the big rift and ended up 20m of the floor. On the way out the ladder umm snapped, at foot level, so i was hung in mid air. Continued to the top and urm belaye the others.

Lesson Learnt - Dont freeclimb ladders, and get the club to buy some new ones anyway

Incident 2

Going through chamber of horrors from maskhill. One member takes the ducks to quick, panics and bangs his head. He is a little shocked but contiinues with the trip. However he is not happy to go back out Maskhill. Result, I had to aid/free climb giants (Jolly good fun)

Lesson learnt - either pre rig giants, do the duck slower, or learn how to aid climb - A very interesting day

Im sure i have many more but my mind has gone blank

play safe kids

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 11:16:01 pm »
A couple from my first year of caving stand out.

Went down Masson Mine with a friend who had heard that we could go in the Masson quarry entrance and then there was an easy shaft that I could climb up trailing a rope. Once at the top I was going to rig the rope for SRT and he could prussik up. I'd got 30m of rope which should have been loads and we got to this largish chamber with a big metal bin underneath a shaft in the roof. After a bit of head scratching he decided that must be the way out so I pile the rope on the floor, tie it round my waist and climb into the bottom of the shaft with a very rusty and loose compressed air pipe in it. I start to climb it bridging and back and footing and pulling holds off and all sorts. As I climb it I'm thinking it's a bit harder than I expected and doesn't feel like it's seen any traffic for a long time; there's soil and rock coming off everywhere. After a while my mate at the bottom shouts that the end of the rope has just disappeared up into the bottom of the shaft and I'm still about 10m from the top. I thought I might as well see if I can get out at the top because I didn't really fancy climbing down. At the top there's a rusting steel drum with smooth walls about 6ft across and 12ft high. There's no way I can climb out of that. Down I come very slowly and carefully trying to push the holds back into place! Have since learnt that the shaft I was in is probably Beck shaft and it's capped with concrete sleepers at the top. Make sure you're in the right place before soloing up a big grim shaft!

One of my first trips to the East Canal in Giants Hole and was rushing down to the bottom to get out by lunchtime for some reason. I thought I'd remembered the order of the handlines and pitches etc. below the Eating House from a previous trip. I'd brought about 7m of rope in case someone in the party needed it on one of the handline climbs. Arrived at a couple of P-bolts and thought right, this must be the last handline climb before Geology Pot. Someone's had the rope off it so I'm glad I brought this 7m length for just this eventuality. Tied my short rope into the two P-bolts and put a few knots in it. Chucked it off and started hand-over-handing down the rope. About four metres down I was struggling to get my feet on anything decent and looked down to see a big drop below me. I think I shouted to George something along the lines of "f**k I'm handlining Geology" to which George replied quite reasonably "so why did we bring this long rope then?" Pulled myself back up the rope and had a minute! Don't rush and it's usually worth looking down the pitch!

Where are Johnny and Dan Hibberts?

Jules.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:33:29 pm by JB »

Offline JB

• junky
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:50 pm »
Incidentally Big 'Eldon Bat' Jim's got a good one from an above-ground training session that I'm sure he'll be along to share! The Orpheus are a rich vein to mine in this regard actually! ;)

Jules.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:00:44 am by JB »

Offline in cumbria?

• menacing presence
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 10:01:02 am »

Where are Johnny and Dan Hibberts?

Jules.

Computers are not yet powerful enough to contain this volume of information.
Cumbrian taxi drivers - what could possibly go wrong?

Offline Brendan

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 11:12:56 am »
Handlining Geology - fair play

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
Yes, but wouldn't a 7 metre rope leave something like a 5 metre free climb for the bottom bit?
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline Brendan

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 03:04:55 pm »
That was fair play, an impressive attempt to injure yourself, not fair play, lets cut my rope short and see if I can do the same thing!

Offline MikeS

• SUSS
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 04:32:39 pm »
Incident: Sizeable rock hits my neck - Gouffre Berger
Whilst on a berger bottoming trip we were ambling down the grand canyon, going ooo isn't it big etc... after a while we come to a cliff as we had missed the quite obvious hand lined route down the right hand side. i get there first and decide it is free climbable so start heading down this sketchy loose climb, as i was concentrating where my feet were going i was looking down, next thing i know a large rock, dislodged by another member who had started to follow me down hits the back of my neck, amazed that i'm actually not paralysed or hurt in anyway we carry on and our team complete a sucsessful bottoming trip.

Good things - i was unhurt, despite my mind thinking i should be and creating some sort of phantom pain
Bad Points - free climbing is not recommended on loose pitches, whilst in big deep caves
Learning points - alway be last down any risky loose free climbs to avoid any falling rocks, er no sorry i mean we should have spent a bit more time looking for the correct route down the cave.

Incident: Going the wrong way in Streaks Pot
Now i have completed the quite enjoyable streaks through trip a number of times without incident and always knew to turn right every time to find the way through . This particular time whilst attempting the through trip the water was particularly high making it quite intimidating, but we pushed on. We made it all the way to the junction where route 66 starts and had a breather, now the water had been playing on our minds and for some reason when we set off again we headed the wrong way down towards the sump, ERROR! we battled along for a for a few minutes in the fast flowing water until we realised we couldn't get passed, so headed back to the junction and convinced ourselves that the way on was sumped so headed all the way back out of streaks and up the climbs.

Good things - i got to do streaks in reverse which i would never have done otherwise
Bad points - feeling quite silly once i realised my mistake :-[, also flowing water, low roofs and sumps are scary especially when you convince yourself the water is rising!
Learning points - always know where your going, especially if you've done the trip before.

Incident: De-rigging Bitch pitch in JH
After climbing bitch pitch i wedge myself in at the top in order to reach the bolts to derig, whilst not really paying attention i managed to derig the entire pitch head before realising i was attached to the derigged ropes and nothing else with two tackle bags hanging from me. i quickly rectified my error and clipped into a bolt, but no before my heart skipped a beat or two.

Good points - Bitch pitch is narrow and holding yourself above the pitch isn't too hard
Bad points - the same thing on a wider pitch might have ended differently
Learning points - Make sure to not derig on yourself if you are not safe

I'm sure there is another incident but can't quite think what it might be :shrug:, i think it had something to do with a lot of rope in the dales somewhere

Offline MikeS

• SUSS
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 04:43:32 pm »
Incident 1

Bought 50 harder and headed for Growling Hole. One member of the club who was the tackle officer packs the ropes, except he assumes a gold 25m and two ladders is a gold 100m. We get halfway through the crawl and i see shiny metal. Mistake realised. We decide to continue and the first two pitches are small, so we reckon we can (erhum dont try this at home kids) freeclimb the ladders (can u see where this is going yet). Continue down to the big rift and ended up 20m of the floor. On the way out the ladder umm snapped, at foot level, so i was hung in mid air. Continued to the top and urm belaye the others.

Lesson Learnt - Dont freeclimb ladders, and get the club to buy some new ones anyway

i thought we did quite well to get that far, not recommended mind and it is definately a good idea to check what is in the tackle bags before attempting harder trips from said book!

Offline freefall

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 08:37:12 pm »
Burnies Pot, Dachstein

17ish hours into a pushing trip, after being awake for over 24hrs, I drift off to sleep.  In a rift.. near a pitch head.. with a big drop below me.. falling onto my cows tails.  Scarily I'd only just clipped them on thinking "ah, the traverse line to the pitch is here, may as well clip on now".

Pros: I got an amusing story out of it

Cons: Came reasonably close to maming/killing myself.

Lessons Learnt: Always clip-in in case of intermittent narcolepsy.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal