Author Topic: Rhino Rift, Riggin' off off Natrals, Wednesday 1st April 2009  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
After setting the world a-buzzin' with me false Swildon's Hole report, I moseyed over t'Mendip for a bit of a new mission in the Rhino, viz: riggin' wivout usin' spinning anchors or spits, as a kind of expedition-type exercise. So, armed with a bag of rope n slings n stuff I whistled in and out in an hour and twenty minutes, after using up all the slings, one rope protector, a handful of deviations (4mm cord works a treat) and a goodly array of krabs; the main pitch was a bit bouncy on 9mm but it was an easy route, just going with the flow really, taking a bit of time out to look for useful parts of the cave and there are actually plenty of choices. Didn't bother descending the final pitch (oh, ok; I'd run out of rope by then!) so there's scope for a return bash in due course.

Off later to do some CSCC C&A work (travel allowance comes in handy!) over at Coral Cave, fitting the "Mendip Emergency CSCC padlock" (nudge nudge).

Online Roger W

• forum hero
Re: Rhino Rift, Riggin' off off Natrals, Wednesday 1st April 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:10 pm »
So does this mean it's totally unnecessary to go round drilling holes in caves and putting bolts and things in?
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline bru

• Mycobacterium vaccae addicted
  • obsessive maniac
  • SCG CSS
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:42:21 pm »
 :clap2:

I agree it's more fun using naturals but not always safe, possible or desirable. 

Offline Burt

• forum hero
  • SCG, ChCC
    • Outdoor Activities & Team Events
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:24:18 pm »
For a minute then, Bru, I thought you'd gone to rig Rhino again. How could you have forgotten after all these times? ::)
Cheese on toast - the answer to all of life's problems.
www.aardvarkendeavours.com ~ Outdoor activities and Team events
www.tvandfilmsafety.co.uk ~ On-location safety services

Offline whitelackington

• forum hero
  • Pyrenees Potholer Digger
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:13:56 am »
After setting the world a-buzzin' with me false Swildon's Hole report, I moseyed over t'Mendip for a bit of a new mission in the Rhino, viz: riggin' wivout usin' spinning anchors or spits, as a kind of expedition-type exercise. So, armed with a bag of rope n slings n stuff I whistled in and out in an hour and twenty minutes, after using up all the slings, one rope protector, a handful of deviations (4mm cord works a treat) and a goodly array of krabs; the main pitch was a bit bouncy on 9mm but it was an easy route, just going with the flow really, taking a bit of time out to look for useful parts of the cave and there are actually plenty of choices. Didn't bother descending the final pitch (oh, ok; I'd run out of rope by then!) so there's scope for a return bash in due course.

Off later to do some CSCC C&A work (travel allowance comes in handy!) over at Coral Cave, fitting the "Mendip Emergency CSCC padlock" (nudge nudge).
Wots the life expectancy of a new CSCC padlock?
 :-\

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:48:52 pm »
Depends how often it gets used, where it is located, whether people who use it ensure they keep grit out of the workings and whether they bother themselves to oil it each time they visit.

If it's a site where it hardly gets used and no-one ever oils it then I'd be surprised if it would still be functioning after a year or two.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
Re: Rhino Rift, Riggin' off off Natrals, Tuesday 7th April 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:58:08 pm »
... Me and the Bru revisited RR today to do more natural rigging and so I led down similarly to the trip on the 1st but with an extra bag of rope just to make sure; rigged with fewer slings this time, instead putting in bowline on the bights and making use of an empty tackle sack instead of a rope protector, thereby limiting the faff factor; pitch three was belayless in terms of naturals so we cheated and rigged it from the in situ twirley-whirleys, engaged in the traditional secret handshake and pronto'd t'surface, actually rather leisurely (resting pulse all the way today) and reached daylight precisely 2hrs after we entered the pit of doom[tm]. Cooleroonie. Natural rigging, yo! - what's next?.... Thrupe beckons, reckons.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal