Author Topic: Minor Mines  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Burt

• forum hero
  • SCG, ChCC
    • Outdoor Activities & Team Events
Minor Mines
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:25:42 am »
Saturday 4th, Me & Bru

After a delightful afternoons work with 16 young ladies on a hen party (it's a tough life!) the Bruster and I shot off to a nearby farm where I had been tipped off by the owner about a couple of mineshafts, one which had opened up within the last 2 years.

Changed in the yard, checked with the farmer and sloped off over the fields to the first one.
Shaft A. This one was quite large and covered with an assortment of pallets, an old gate and planks. There were no belays nearby so we had come armed with some large marquee pins and a sledgehammer. Bru banged in the pegs and I cleared the "cap". Inside was a walled shaft about 25' deep and 3' diameter. Part way down set into the wall was a skeleton of some decription, probably a sheep but I didn't want to look closer. At the bottom an assortment of debris from an old milk churn to rusty buckets could be found, but bashing with a plank revealed a very hollow sound down below.. about at the level of a stemple. Climbed back out as without permission or tools to dig it would have been a hiding to nothing.

Derigged and re capped, we moved to shaft B.

This one had opened under someones vehicle a couple of years back ans was protected by a metal grille which took some persuasion to get off as the earth had reclaimed most of it. Once off a similar belay was set up. Bru went in first, then me,and this one was tighter (about 18" dia) but opened out into a wide 4' natural rift. About 30' down it was blocked by what turned out to be a solid looking floor.
However, there were stacked deads at both ends of the rift and no obvious way on. After much puzzlement, we reckon that either it was a rift which opened at the rear of a mine (hence the deads) rather than the entrance, or some of the deads had collapsed over a way on. The surface topography indicates a very obvious rift underground, but this direction was blocked by very carefully stacked deads. In the other direction the deads were a bit more haphazard.

Any suggestions what's going on?
And before you ask where it is, I can't tell you until the surface access has been made safe.

As wwe were exiting shaft B the farmer turned up and was very interested in opening it up, even offering a digger with a big lifting arm to help remove bags of spoil. Wow! don't get offers like that every time! 
Cheese on toast - the answer to all of life's problems.
www.aardvarkendeavours.com ~ Outdoor activities and Team events
www.tvandfilmsafety.co.uk ~ On-location safety services

Online rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • The Mayor of Cwm Parc
    • http://www.showcaves.com
Re: Minor Mines
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:08 am »
Go on, gives us a hint, Mendip? South West Somerset?

Online Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:13:34 pm »
Go on, gives us a hint, Mendip? South West Somerset?

Bet it is in Derbyshire, probably on Masson Hill

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:46:01 pm »
Somewhere here?

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal