Author Topic: Thrupe Lane Swallet, Monday 20th April 2009  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Gina

• menacing presence
  • UBSS
Thrupe Lane Swallet, Monday 20th April 2009
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:42:54 am »
On this lovely fine evening  8), Burt and Cap’n Chris rv’d at 6.30 whilst I on the other hand  was fashionably late. We were in the cave for 7 and to mine and Burt’s delight we found the entrance pitch pre-rigged,  only to find out Chris had had a spare few minute earlier on and had come on a pre-SCG solo jaunt .  Off down the entrance pitch and I soon learnt the error of my ways having forgot my knee pads in my hurry to get changed :wall:. At Perseverance Pot, Chris rigged a pull through and off went Burt in the lead.  Chris and I reminisced about my last trip down Thrupe where I called it a ‘nice little cave’ only to take it all back on the way out up the pleasantly spacious* Perseverance  :annoyed:.

Chris led the way through the boulders and on into Marble Streamway and then Atlas Pot where surprise surprise Chris had been there earlier that day too.  Burt headed up the pitch first on the bouncy 9mm and did some photo recceing followed by me and then Chris.  The top of the pitch turned out to be a lovely spot for a picnic** provided by Burt before continuing upward into Wuthering Heights and the Railway Series. We were out the cave at ~8.50 for tea and medals having had a very pleasant dry top trip.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

*  for mice
**Go Bar >>> 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:55:33 am by cap 'n chris, Reason: day added in header »

Offline Burt

• forum hero
  • SCG, ChCC
    • Outdoor Activities & Team Events
Re: Thrupe Lane Swallet, Monday 20th April 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:23 am »
Fantastic trip.

Like Gina I had a few "issues" with Thrupe, notably the first time Chrispy and I tried it in February floods it tried to kill us with an epic  combination of cold and drowning.

Last night was a very enjoyable bimble in almost dry conditions and a nice little workout too. Shame I ruined it by having a kebab in Wells on the way home. :lol:

No photos taken but Bru and I are planning a photo specific trip soon. Watch this space.
Cheese on toast - the answer to all of life's problems.
www.aardvarkendeavours.com ~ Outdoor activities and Team events
www.tvandfilmsafety.co.uk ~ On-location safety services

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:38:27 pm »
It's nice doing a circuit in Thrupe - one of the joys of the cave. I think the Bru is keen on having a go at a pull through down Railway Series and free climbing up Perseverence; I guess it's best to try the latter first!

Offline whitelackington

• forum hero
  • Pyrenees Potholer Digger
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:35:01 pm »
How far apart are the nearest bits of the two similarly named caves.
Thrupe Swallet
Thrupe Lane Swallet?

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:30:42 pm »
Yes.  :)

Offline Elaine

• forum hero
  • Axbridge Caving Group
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:17:43 pm »
Having been in both I reckon about 400 yards. Could be completely wrong.

However, it is less than a mile and more than 100 feet.
Wot tiny writing!

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal