Author Topic: Sho O Trip, Swildon's Hole, Wednesday 20th May 2009  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
Sho O Trip, Swildon's Hole, Wednesday 20th May 2009
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:22:14 pm »
Fancied trying a flying lap of the Short Round with a prototype lamp to check out the flare/scorch factor and started off pretty pronto but clearly I'm not fit at the mo' `cos it took 60 minutes; bumped into the Bru at the Old Forty on the way back and had a pleasant natter once we'd surfaced separately. Nice weather and low water meant it was a toasty day all round.

The Mud Sump is a mere puddle at the moment but the Troubles are brim-full (but still negotiable if you stick your nose in the roof); forgot my neoprene hood which meant wet-ear-syndrome and associated loss of balance, making for some fun moves en route! Had the entire cave to myself beyond the 20'. Peaceful and lovely.

The light is a monster; great thing with these mega powerful things is that you don't need to get your eyes adjusted to the dark on entering the cave... `cos there isn't any!

Online Roger W

• forum hero
Re: Sho O Trip, Swildon's Hole, Wednesday 20th May 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:45:05 pm »
Just lots of treacherous shadows?
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline mattyd

• regular
  • WCC
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:58:20 pm »
Not fit at the mo'? 60 minutes?
I've only done the round trip twice, and in a group, so an hour seems pretty speedy to me.
I can well imagine a solo stomp taking far less time, but what would you call a quick time for the short round?
Wait a minute... Were you going to miss last orders at the Hunters? :beer2:

BTW What was the new light?
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine.

Offline Elaine

• forum hero
  • Axbridge Caving Group
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:57:34 pm »
A whole hour. Goodness me, you fatso.

Your barrel (new dress?) is now at the Wessex as requested.
Wot tiny writing!

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:20:11 am »
Thanks for the new (blue, I hope) dress, Elaine! - I'll try and pick it up tomorrow.  :hug: Thank Huggy too!

Quick would be anything under 50mins, I guess; still giving plenty of time to admire the treacherous shadows, lol!

No, I was getting out before the Hunters even opened and wasn't going there anyhoo!

The new light is being testbedded so no further details are available (i.e. when, how much etc.) so I can't answer any queries about it other than to say it's chuffin' bright.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »
Update: Friday 22nd May 2009.

If you walk it, stopping here and there to admire the view and don't break into a sweat or heavy breathing, it's 1hr25min*.

* i.e. approximately the same as it takes to visit Goatchurch** with a bunch of sweating fatties.

** 1hr25min being about the time it takes to stagger (whinging and gasping) to the entrance.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:10:15 pm by cap 'n chris »

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal