Author Topic: Phoenix mine, I'll nick his: Sunday 14th March 2010  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
Phoenix mine, I'll nick his: Sunday 14th March 2010
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:18:28 pm »
What a surprising place; got an invite from Ali N to help out with an ongoing project at Phoenix Mine in Cornwall so Menacer and me packed our bags along with a load of rope and stuff and bombed down the A30 for some sunshine, rural freshness and bouncing on string in a disused mine.

I don't intend to divulge location details but suffice it to say the mine is totally unassuming with no major clue to its existence save for some fencing. A 2m x 2m hole in the ground. That's it.

First pitch rigged off fence posts with a flying deviation rigged from a metal spike in the ground opposite. Starts awkward and small and then .... boosh!.... opens to an impressive rift. Best guess around 40-45m, some airy, some on-slope, then steeper and a final drop to touchdown. The mine is orientated with the strike, one wall choss n febrile, the other pretty sound. Over a hole walking on fence posts atop it, then past another hole with a traverse line for reassurance, plus a contination of the latter down a small drop utilising t'owd man's ladder for assistance; then a harem-scarem bridge with a humungous drop off to the left (surprise, surprise, this is what I've volunteered to bolt, apparently!).

Ali had already placed some neat spits on a previous trip but we had our secret weapon which enabled me to zip n rig; started off slow, bit of gardening here, then once the twin rebelays were rigged, scoot down to a promontory of hanging death and try and find anything within reach for a deviation - only one opportunity and... zip.... another hanger placed in a trice. Deviation sorted, just a heck of a lot more gardening to do and then continue to ground (another ledge, actually), all told prolly about 35m. Hide away underneath an overhang and await Menacer and Ali before trudging off down a side tunnel - watery and muddy - marvelling at the (new to me) blue speleothems !

Back to the ledge and a final bit of placement before enjoying the nice freehanging third pitch, only about 20m; a very large place, this. Once all down, we wandered off to check out the lake! Much gardening, much SRT, much fun.

Very impressed with Cornish mines, me.  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:40:19 pm by cap 'n chris »

Offline Burt

• forum hero
  • SCG, ChCC
    • Outdoor Activities & Team Events
Re: Phoenix mine, I'll nick his: Sunday 14th March 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:14:34 pm »
Are you the phantom bolter, then CC?  :-\
Cheese on toast - the answer to all of life's problems.
www.aardvarkendeavours.com ~ Outdoor activities and Team events
www.tvandfilmsafety.co.uk ~ On-location safety services

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:16:45 pm »
Nope; thought it was you, Burt!

Offline Burt

• forum hero
  • SCG, ChCC
    • Outdoor Activities & Team Events
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:19:48 pm »
How dare you! ;D

The phantom is whoever you wish it to be  (cue Lloyd Webber references)
Cheese on toast - the answer to all of life's problems.
www.aardvarkendeavours.com ~ Outdoor activities and Team events
www.tvandfilmsafety.co.uk ~ On-location safety services

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal