From Mendip to Mars

christine

Hi All

To brighten the dark, winter evenings in Somerset we thought we'd put on a couple of talks in our local village.

When: Friday 26th February
What time: Talks begin at 7pm prompt and end about 9.30pm
Where: Evercreech Village Hall, High Street, Evercreech, Shepton Mallet, Somerset BA4 6LH

FREE entry - with a raffle in aid of Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance and Mendip Cave Rescue.

Mars the Magnificent, the legendary warship of the Swedish King Erik XIV, has lain at the bottom of the Baltic sea for 450 years. In 2011, a team of technical scuba divers, after 20 years of searching, found the warship on the sonar of their search vessel. They made a first dive on the wreck to discover canons, treasure and an almost intact warship, not seen by human eyes since 1564.
The National Geographic became involved to support the project:
http://press.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/07/national-geographic-society-supports-exploration-of-famed-swedish-warship-mars-the-magnificent/

Richard Walker was invited to dive the shipwreck in 2015 and he tells the story of the famous ship and what it is like to dive her at 75 metres depth.

Christine Grosart is a caver, cave diver and explorer. She holds the end of the line in more than four caves in Europe - quite literally discovering cave passages where no human has ever been. In 2009 she visited the far reaches of Wookey Hole cave to earn the female cave diving depth record in a British cave.
Christine's caving roots are in the Mendip Hills and she will be giving a talk with stunning images, about caves, cave diving and a cave conservation project in South Wales.

At the end of the evening there will be a raffle prize draw with proceeds going to the Mendip Cave Rescue and Somerset Air Ambulance.

This is the link to the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/889902494450941

Hope to see you there!

p.s This event is for the public, so by nature won't stretch your caving knowledge but will be enjoyable nonetheless!
Please share the event where you can  :)

2xw

Just as an aside, I went to a talk by the Uni of Sheffield subaqua society about Mars the Magnificent and it was super interesting, some great pictures/videos and a really interesting talk, i really recommend going to see it even as a non-diver etc

christine

Posters and flyers for this event will be going out soon. If anyone would like the jpegs to help promote the event, please drop me a PM.
Proceeds of the raffle will be split between the Mendip Cave Rescue and the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance.

At present, we have a couple of raffle prizes but are always looking for more, especially as we are likely to have a wide audience. If anyone has anything (sensible!) they can offer as a prize, please get in touch. Chris

christine

Hope it's Ok to bump this up as it's less than a week away - and for charity  :ang:

Don't forget next Friday 26th February - Mendip meets Mars!

We'll be holding a raffle with some cool prizes to raise money for the Air Ambulance and Cave Rescue.

It looks like a good turnout so far, so come along and enjoy!

The talks kick off at 7pm prompt. Entry is free. Please park legally and tidily in the village and car share where you can.

To whet your appetite, here is the trailer for the 'Mars' documentary. Rich will be talking about the wreck history, discovery and the ongoing diving expedition he joined last year.

https://vimeo.com/57662719

christine

:beer:

Well, sorry for posting a bit late in the day but it's been a bit of a hectic week....

We were so chuffed with the turnout for this event - just over 50 people and plenty of money raised for the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance and Mendip Cave Rescue.

We would love to make this an annual thing, with a cavey and divey theme and different speakers, so keep your ears to the ground for the next one!

Just over 50 people came along, some from quite a long way away. Two representatives came along from DSAA but unfortunately no MCR representatives came along. So if someone from MCR would like to get in touch, I can arrange to get the money we raised over to you.

Here are some photos of the evening and the lucky prize winners. I'm still mystified as to why Jon De Casto (quite a capable caver!!) opted for a days caving with WetWellies....but I'm sure it will be a giggle!

Many thanks to all those who came and for digging deep.  (y)

I should also give a massive thank you to Les Williams and Frank Tully, for not only sorting us out with the technical kit and sound etc but helping us set up, pack away and keeping things running smoothly. These two really are great and we can't thank them enough for giving up their time without even being asked.

Les Williams not only helped with the technical side but was a good comp?re for us too.

Settling down for the talks

Chris talking about Mendip caving and diving

Mars the Magnificent. An image created from thousands of smaller images stitched together.

Super helpful guy from the village hall committee who helped us set up - and won his wife a private pilates lesson!

WTF??

Shepton chiropractor brought his family along - reckon they'll be coming caving soon!

One lucky diver won a day's coaching with one of the best instructors in the country - top prize!

Lucky prize winner