• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

North Midlands Group of the BSA - can you help?

Jenny P

I have recently received a query to the British Caving Library for help in locating 4 members of the North Midlands Group of the BSA:

I am now 69 years of age (and recovering from 2 recent strokes) so my potholing days are long behind me
but as a member of a 5 man team (led by John Clarke) from the North Midlands Group of the BSA which
discovered a new cavern past the Neil Moss Cavern in Peak Cavern, Castleton in January 1964, I am trying
to trace the other team members for a nostalgic 'get-together'. The others were John (Nobby) Clarke, Brian
Mee, Peter Crabtree and Brian Pickering (after whom of course, Pickering's Passage (Peak Cavern) was
named. Brian, I fear will no longer be with us and John Clarke would be in his mid-eighties by now.

The query comes from Chris Edwards (formerly Chris Santhouse), who now lives in Sri Lanka.

If anyone can help at all, please PM me so I can pass on information.  Many thanks.

Jenny Potts,
BCRA Library Co-ordinator

mulucaver

Jenny P said:
I have recently received a query to the British Caving Library for help in locating 4 members of the North Midlands Group of the BSA:
Peter Crabtree is certainly dead. I'll found out later today about the others.

I am now 69 years of age (and recovering from 2 recent strokes) so my potholing days are long behind me
but as a member of a 5 man team (led by John Clarke) from the North Midlands Group of the BSA which
discovered a new cavern past the Neil Moss Cavern in Peak Cavern, Castleton in January 1964, I am trying
to trace the other team members for a nostalgic 'get-together'. The others were John (Nobby) Clarke, Brian
Mee, Peter Crabtree and Brian Pickering (after whom of course, Pickering's Passage (Peak Cavern) was
named. Brian, I fear will no longer be with us and John Clarke would be in his mid-eighties by now.

The query comes from Chris Edwards (formerly Chris Santhouse), who now lives in Sri Lanka.

If anyone can help at all, please PM me so I can pass on information.  Many thanks.

Jenny Potts,

Peter Crabtree is certainly dead, I'll check on the others later today and post the answer tonight.

mulucaver

From what I can gather all are deceased apart from Brian Mee.

Other members still known to be alive are Garry Kitchen, Ed Mason, Bob Toogood, Dave Willians, Pete Sandall, Geoff Badger

mulucaver said:
Jenny P said:
Peter Crabtree is certainly dead. I'll found out later today about the others.

Jenny Potts,

Peter Crabtree is certainly dead, I'll check on the others later today and post the answer tonight.

Jenny P

Many thanks for that.  I will pass on the sad news to Chris.

It would be good to find a contact for Brian Mee if anyone knows of his whereabouts now.

mikem

Tony Knibbs says last he heard Brian was living in Brazil. Will pm you a couple of email addresses.

Mike