English cavers in Cyprus in the 50s and 60s

Jenny P

The British Caving Library has received a request for help from Bernard Chirol of FSS and UIS. If anyone can help, please contact bcra-librarian [at] bcra.org.uk  or PM me.

Bernard says:

I'm looking for 3 or 4 photos (or more) from Cyprus where English cavers and soldiers had visited potholes and caves at the end of the 50's and during the 60's.

Our book about Cyprus has just been published, we are still searching for these photos that men around 75 or 80 or 85 might have. Second edition is planned

Some names of cavers and/or soldiers : Jerry Skingley - Tom Sykes- Ron Bliss - M. Simmons - Mitcham - David Evans - W. F. Jones - Mich or Mike Stanton - S. C. Smith  - John Hind - Chuff Gerard - B. T. Jorgensen - J. R. Middleton - R. W. Horton  - Lt England-

Bernard Chirol    French Federation of Speleology and UIS history commission Pdt

The book is ?Cyprus Caving History - Aphrodite?s Hidden Charms?, in French and English, published by the Comite Speleologique Regional Rhone-Alpes.  Price is 20 Euro (plus 10 Euro per copy for shipping abroad).  Contact is theo.savoi [at] gmail.com for further information.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Jenny Potts,
BCRA Library Co-ordinator

Inferus

Tom Sykes and Ron Bliss were both in the Red Rose - at the very least I know Ron was a prolific photographer (sadly no longer with us) - maybe contacting the RRCPC may yield results?

R W Horton wrote an article in Wessex Cave Club Journal Vol 6 No. 77 May/August 1960 pp 93-96 on caves in Cyprus. No photos. Don't know if you have a copy in the Library?

Jenny P

Many thanks for that tip.  Yes, we have the copy and I'll make sure that Bernard knows about it.  He did say that he had all the literature references but there is always a chance he missed this one.