What could possibly go wrong?

Brains

13443198_1010800022339000_1924905083039583540_o.jpg

cavemanmike

Brittle stals could/would snap and no back up.
I've  done some dodgy things in my time but not as dodgy as that.
No wonder cave conservationist kick off when they see something like that

Roger W

If those things are genuine stal, someone wants a good  :spank:  for sheer vandalism.

On the other hand, they might just be man-made mud spikes.

(Again,  :spank:  for criminal misuse of cave sediments.)

But if they are, has the mud been given time to set?

At least, if one of them breaks off, there's another one there to break off too...

PeteHall

It might just be a handline for a slippery 6 foot slope for all we know from the picture, so without context, no way to speculate as to what could go wrong.

Roger W said:
If those things are genuine stal, someone wants a good  :spank:  for sheer vandalism.

Why? Cavers have rigged to bits of stal for as long as cavers have been cavers.

Alex

Stals do make good natural belays in some places and probably less damaging to the cave then re-bolting the place every 5 = 10 years before the resin anchors came in.

I recall a lot of official guides using stals as belays. But as for that picture they do not look that substantial to take much weight, not sure I would want to trust my life to those two.

PeteHall

Alex said:
But as for that picture they do not look that substantial to take much weight, not sure I would want to trust my life to those two.

Agreed, I'm not sure I would trust my life to them either, however, if it's just a handline for a slippery muddy slope I'd not worry. Equally, it could just be preventing the end of a dragging dope getting pulled back down a dig.

The photographer must have been standing on something, so I don't imagine this is a 100m SRT pitch rigged to them.

Alex

Yeh I also don't think she is wearing SRt gear (I see no chest strap at least) so it looks like it is likely a hand-line down perhaps a tight slot to help pulling oneself back out of the hole.

andrewmcleod

PeteHall said:
Agreed, I'm not sure I would trust my life to them either, however, if it's just a handline for a slippery muddy slope I'd not worry.

I've never really bought that argument - if its something I am actually weighting (i.e. not a backup line I am sliding an ascender up but NOT pulling on and probably not going to fall onto) then I want it bomber just like a pitch, because normally failure of that line will result in me tumbling to the bottom of whatever it is rigged up, and probably breaking something in the process. I would rather free-climb stuff than weight something that could fail - as a climber rock is much more predictable (good or bad) than anchors that are 'probably' alright.

There are obviously always going to be exceptions (tight slots where falling down is not really a hazard).

Brains

Image culled from FB and is watermarked by the photographer.
Given where the pic is taken from, and the state of the knot I am inclined to feel there maybe a pitch going up nearby, and the tail end has been draped over the stals either for ease of retrival, or just for the photo. The young lady is gurning well but possibly acting.
The implication that it is a belay is obvious but I think it unlikely.
At least it has kept you lot amused for a bit, and unlike the video no body was hurt  ;)

Clive G

I hope those are pop rivets and not bolts with nuts behind them securing the metal cable clip to the front side of her helmet . . .

You have to think what would happen if the helmet became pushed against the side of your head for any reason - in which case, with any degree of force involved, any protrusions on the inside of the helmet could end up inside your head . . .

Is this an entry for the joke photograph competition at the next Hidden Earth conference?! Nice one!

mikem

Think she might be a bit older (has been to University!). Photographer commented:
Also the above is a mistery for us too as we found it this way :) obviously the fisherman's is an overkill if this really was used as an anchor.... i love caving :)
Mike