Status of Border Caving Group (BCG, Hampshire/Surrey)

NameOfTheDragon

Hi everyone. I used to be a member of Border Caving Group, which met at the Waterside Centre, Guildford. I was a member circa 1993-1995, give or take. I'd like to catch up with any members, but I can't find any mention of the group online, so I think it may have dissolved.

I'm especially interested in getting together with any old members who've been away from caving and want to get back into it.

Does anyone know what happened to the group or know anyone wha was a member? Could you put me in touch?
Thanks.

Dawn Thomasson

Hi there,
nope, we are still going - just about! There are still some familiar faces - Neil, Alan, Hywel?  We meet every first Tuesday of the month, now in the Parrot, Shawford at 9pm.  We'd be delighted to welcome back an old member!!
Kind regards
Dawn (chair)

Jenny P

I would be interested in having copies of some of the BCG's old publications.  We already have a few in the British Caving Library but don't have a complete set and it would be good to have a complete run if it's possible. 

Currently we have two "Magazines" dated 1966; an incomplete set of Newsletters from 1967 to 1998; and one other publication dated 1969.  We have duplicate copies of some of these items and would be willing to pass these on if required.  Does the Group still have a Library?

You can contact the British Caving Library (housed near Buxton, Derbyshire) via the website: 
caving-library.org.uk and we'd love to hear from you.

Jenny Potts,
Library Co-ordinator

Andrew Tizzard

Bit late but I was a member of BCG during the 1970's to 1980's when the cottage was in the pub prior to moving to Fairy Cave Quarry. Eric Catherine was about. I think I was newsletter editor or treasurer?

NameOfTheDragon

Gosh, that was almost 3 years ago! I think when I posted that I was living back in Hampshire for a time, but now I've moved to Kent.

It's Tim Long for those who may remember me, please pass on my regards. Neil and Hywel should remember me.

I'll try to pop in next time l'm passing through.
--Tim

caving_fox

Waves hello.

I was  a student at Guildford Uni and caved with BCG between '94 and '97. We had a good trip into Draenen in '96 I think, a system that I'm still enjoying whenever I can find people willing to go with me.

skippy

We took a few members of Border Caving Club through Swinsto earlier in the year:-
13087542_583340448495281_6202944416518448719_n.jpg

dunno if you recognise any of them?
Apologies for the low res image.

The Old Ruminator

BCG shared the cottage with us at Fairy Cave Quarry. I remember Eric Catherine well. BCG had army cadet visitors. We CSS lads used to pinch their rations that were stored there. Sadly things came to grief as a cadet trip blundered across the helectites in Shatter Cave despite the fact that they were taped off. All were destroyed. In a more enlightened day now we would not allow novices in the cave. I still see the old cottage now a ruin. Brought home a couple of ham stone lintels to put in the garden.