Where can you hire caving suits?

David Rose

I have several friends who want me to take them caving. I know Cave & Climb in Cheddar rents out full sets of caving kit - not just lamps and helmets but furry suits and oversuits - but now that Bernie's has become an online only operation, is there anywhere else in the country that does this? Inglesport and Hitch & Hike rent out hats and lamns, but not the clothing.

Alex

No idea, I don't hink anyone does. But a few cavers I have taken caving have made do quite well with cotton boiler suits from DIY stores (They cost about a tenner) and normal non-cotton outdoor stuff or onesies underneath. But I do agree the lack of gear renting is a significant barrier nowadays.

oli

The outdoor centre (ronger Isaf?) in Pen-y-Cae certainly used to, I dunno if they still do

topcat

If you are planning on a Yorkshire trip, drop me a line with dates...............I have quite a bit of gear that I'd be happy to loan out FOC.  [As Yorkshire is a 400m trip for me the dates would have to work!]  It's likely I could get you into one of 3 huts if you need accommodation.

TC

PeteHall

I am told that renting out gear is more of a service than a business.

It needs to be clean and dry when it goes out, but will inevitably come back wet and muddy.

You need enough to cater for all sizes and it needs replacing long before you'd replace personal kit; people don't want to rent an oversuit without an arse for some reason...

But if you charge too much nobody will bother to rent it.

It's no surprise it's hard to find, yet there are times when it would make life so much easier.

I remember at uni, during freshers season, we often needed about 20 sets of gear, but we rarely needed anything beyond helmets and lights the rest of the year. Bernies was a regular stop-in for a top up on gear for the person with size 18 feet or the 4' 2" fresher needing an oversuit. I wonder how the university clubs manage now?

Hammy

I have enough to kit out an average adult group of up to ten - undersuit, oversuit, wellies, belts, harnesses, cows tails, helmet, light.
Northern based  - Dales Caves/Northern Pennines Mines.
Price on application. I can deliver to Norhern locations.
Thanks
Graham