Author Topic: Ogof Gofan  (Read 12385 times)

Offline traff

• addict
Ogof Gofan
« on: January 04, 2006, 07:46:41 pm »
can anybody give any pointers finding ogof gofan near bosherston - a friend spent all afternoon looking to no avail

basicaly where on the cliff is it!!!

cheers traff

Offline Anon

• Nobody
Ogof Gofan
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 07:21:41 pm »
Wish I could help but we went there few years back, just strolled along the edges (had no gear), got to the point of where we thought it should be but wasn't sure where you would descend.. Further round the coast we looked back and saw some holes that may have been the cave (then again they might not have been!).
Does anyone know - If you walk further round the coast can you see the cave entrance??

Online RobinGriffiths

• forum star
Ogof Gofan
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:29:03 am »
Can't remember actual location, but wasn't that far from the car I don't think. There was a blowhole type shaft at the top of the cliff not far (less than 100m) from the belay which might help. I went this the Hereford Caving Club so didn't bother noting actual location. Impressive abseil down cliff into cave entrance.

Robin

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
Ogof Gofan
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:38:38 pm »
There is a good description with NGR and survey in Caves of West Wales by Tony Oldham

Online SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
Ogof Gofan
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 06:41:53 pm »
Is this the exit for the route - "preposterous tales". Given E2

Here is the guidebook description

The following route is a wild trip into the bowels of the earth. It starts from ledges above high tide on the south west arete of Bosherston Head. The pitches inside the cave are always damp but the holds are good. A head torch might be useful to find protection! First find the blow hole on the surface (see map on page §§§). Abseil down either side of the arete which is about 15m to the right (looking out) of the line of the blow hole cave.
1) 4c, 15m. Traverse rightwards into the sea cave, aiming for the apex of the cave. Swing into the cave and find an excellent belay, 4m inside, on a boulder choke.
2) 5a, 10m. Bridge inwards to where the cave widens. Committing, but surprisingly easy moves across the left wall lead to a corner beneath daylight. Belay here.
3) 4c, 25m. Follow the corner to escape.

Looking at the rock fax turn left just after huntmans leap - in its just back from the cliff edge - about 15 meters.

Sounds wicked and one thats always been on my tick list.

Hmm - anyone fancy a trip to pembroke
:twisted:

Offline traff

• addict
Ogof Gofan
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 09:11:18 pm »
i'm back in pembrokeshire at the end of the month

having already spent two afternoons swinging about on cliff faces without finding it, i've done some more research and more determined than ever to find it before ian hale
i've seen 3 grid refs in different books all the same which place it on saddle head not bosherton head
i made contact with a WSG member who has been there - he said belay from some metal spikes that the climbers use next to the radar station
the radar station is on saddle head - assuming the WSG member is right the grid ref is wrong by 200m ish
some climbing guides also refer to a cave in the cliff near the radar station

i'll keep you posted :D

Offline gus horsley

• forum hero
Ogof Gofan
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 08:27:43 am »
Hi

Ogof Govan is very difficult to find since it isn't visible from the top.  I did it once, about 30 years ago, and it wasn't on St Govan's Head, but it's not far away.  It also used some stakes to access it.  Sorry I can't be more help, memory's not what it used to be, etc.

Gus

Offline southpembscaver

• Dickon
  • regular
  • UBSS, BEC
Re: Ogof Gofan
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:35:31 pm »
Anyone looking to find it should go to saddle head, its on the west side so stand by the radar station and walk north along the west side of the headland past the top of blue sky. When you come to a part of the cliff where you can scramble halfway down the cliff do so. Here there is a (very) small bay surrounded by cliffs around half the height of the main cliff. Search around the NE corner of the bay to find a small rusty stake which you belay your ladder to. You then climb down into a large opening, the entrance is a roomy squeeze at the rear of a chamber with another rusty stake, this one with a rusty maillon attached.
Hope this makes it clear

Online Aubrey

• obsessive maniac
  • Wessex, SWETCCC
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 11:38:01 am »
     "roomy squeeze "       :o
make more cave - we have the technology!

Offline Muddy Funkster

• addict
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 12:07:32 pm »
There will be a detailed description of how to find the cave in the next edition of the Chelsea newsletter, September / October edition 2011.
After some research and a chat with Brendan Marris I went on holiday to Pembrokeshire and whilst there took photos and notes for the 'Idiots Guide' article that shows exactly how to locate the anchor points for the cave, starting out from from the St Govens Head car park.

Didn't have any SRT gear with me though so my own 1st trip will have to wait for the time being.

Online NigR

• forum hero
  • Grwp Ogofeydd Garimpeiros SWCC
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 02:45:02 pm »
The main reason the precise location of this cave has not previously been described in intricate detail is glaringly obvious to anyone who has visited it. As has already been noted in this thread, it is in a popular climbing area and the relative difficulty of access would certainly not deter climbers, some of whom may not be as conservation conscious as cavers. If you visited Pembrokeshire on a more regular basis you would also be painfully aware of just how intrepid fishermen can be on occasion as well.

Be careful - your "Idiots Guide" could turn out to be well named, though perhaps not in the way you intended!

Offline Muddy Funkster

• addict
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »
Hello Nig :)
I've heard plenty about you from Stuart France (who I do most of my caving with) all good stuff mind! Will probably end up meeting you before long.
I understand what you're getting at but surely there's not too many non cavers or fishermmen who are regular readers of the Chelsea Newsletter? I don't really know what the readership size is though.
Access in itself would deter most people as you say. I have not produced the article to get into access arguments and debates but as an aid to the caving community / chelsea members who might like to see a very well decorated cave in a highly unusual location.

Matt

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:41:44 pm »
some of whom may not be as conservation conscious as cavers[/quote]

If only! Have you been to Easter Grotto recently?

Online NigR

• forum hero
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:49:02 pm »
I understand what you're getting at but surely there's not too many non cavers or fishermen who are regular readers of the Chelsea Newsletter? I don't really know what the readership size is though.

The CSS Newsletter is now available on-line and hence the potential readership may be somewhat greater than you suggest. Any information you put in your article will be accessible to anyone who is capable of conducting a simple Google search.

I have not produced the article to get into access arguments and debates but as an aid to the caving community / Chelsea members who might like to see a very well decorated cave in a highly unusual location.

Yes, it's in a 'highly unusual location' - it's in the middle of a military firing range! Have you contacted the MOD for their opinion about unnecessarily publicising a 'very well decorated cave' on their property? If not, then I suggest you do so (or send me a PM and I'll let you have the direct phone number for the RSM so you can ask him yourself). In fact, have you looked into the attitude of the MOD towards caving in Pembrokeshire at all? If not, then try contacting Cambrian Caving Council's Conservation and Access Officer directly and I'm sure she will be able to enlighten you.

Matt, I'm sure you have set out to do this with the best of intentions but in my opinion these are misguided to say the least. By your own admission you haven't even visited the cave but you want to publish an article which can only have an adverse effect on its conservation. I find this very odd and somewhat worrying. Are cavers in general (and CSS members in particular) so lacking in initiative these days that they need an 'Idiots Guide' to find every single entrance? FFS, what does it matter if you abseil down at the wrong point? Just come back up and try again, there are only so many places it can be after all. (Don't forget your SRT kit, though!).

Will probably end up meeting you before long.

Not if you persist with this kind of nonsense you won't!

....some of whom may not be as conservation conscious as cavers.

If only! Have you been to Easter Grotto recently?

Sorry, I live and cave in Wales and I was referring to cavers here.

Easter Grotto's in Yorkshire isn't it?

And to answer your question.......

No, I haven't been there recently. Last time was probably around 1978 or '79 - and it was trashed then! Perhaps if it had not been so well publicised it might have lasted a little bit longer.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:16:55 pm by NigR »

Offline Muddy Funkster

• addict
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 08:57:26 am »
Nig, thanks for the some of the good points you raise. Something for me to discuss with others (more experienced than myself) at CSS and then make a decision on. I can't say I agree with everything you say (but take issue more with the way you put your arguments).
I had already phoned the MOD number on the Castlemartin Range website to discuss access to the cliff tops but did not contact Cambrian, in the follow up to this discussion I will make sure I do though.
I am relatively new to the caving community, having been a member at CSS for a year and a half. I am aware of some of the ethical issues and political aspects that come into play when caving, discussing access and conservation etc.. Not all the angles mind you and I'm going to have to learn about it all bit by bit as I go along.
The article seemed like a good idea as I had already read in this forum thread and several others online regarding Ogof Gofan. There seem to be many people who do want to know where the entrance is and have wasted time and petrol travelling the long distances to Pembrokeshire and have come away empty handed, several times in some cases. I'm guessing your own response to this would be "If you can't find it then you probably don't deserve to see it then", that's not very inclusive though, if people are going to cave then it should be for the whole of the caving community surely? Not just the select few who feel that because of years of hard earned experience, only they have a right to see the hard to find or remote wonders of the underground world!
I would also like to become an active member of CSS and by that I mean caving and getting to know members, but also submitting more to the newsletter, something which the club would like more of its members to do. This article was just that, enthusiasm and passion for something we all love.
Although I am a relative novice at caving, when I do cave, I do so with a lot of care and respect for its delicate environment. Maybe I'm wrong here, but if you have the desire to crawl down into a muddy hole in the ground you do so to see the natural beauty that awaits within, and with that appreciation, a sense of respect and duty of care go hand in hand?
Anyway I take your points / advice on board and will discuss it all before deciding if we should publish the article.
One bit of advice from me to you (although I suspect you may not be willing to hear it), is to be a little bit more reasonable in the way you communicate with others. I travel through life trying to do just this with the people I meet (even the ones I disagree with) and find it has served me well. Things still get done and decisions made but things just go a little more smoothly. Just a thought!
Matt

Offline Anon

• Nobody
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 10:10:23 am »
Although I am a relative novice at caving, when I do cave, I do so with a lot of care and respect for its delicate environment. Maybe I'm wrong here, but if you have the desire to crawl down into a muddy hole in the ground you do so to see the natural beauty that awaits within, and with that appreciation, a sense of respect and duty of care go hand in hand?
Been lurking reading this thread and I'm not getting involved in access/info debates. But the above point stood out, particularly the bit about respect and duty of care - whilst a lot of cavers do take care others just barge through, don't look what they're doing and end up destroying what they have gone to see.. If you have seen once decorated places trashed then perhaps you can see why advertising the exact location of a decorated cave is met with some hostility.

Offline Muddy Funkster

• addict
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 10:26:59 am »
As I said, I think Nig makes some genuinely good points to consider but the way he makes them is unneccesary and 'hostile' as you put it. Having read some more now on other threads, I can see quite clearly that that is just his 'style of communicating'. Surely people can debate and disagree without the need for such BS and agro?
Matt

Online NigR

• forum hero
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 12:29:57 pm »
I had already phoned the MOD number on the Castlemartin Range website to discuss access to the cliff tops.............

Who did you speak to? Did you specifically say that you were planning to publish a detailed article revealing the precise location of an extremely well decorated and hitherto little known cave on their property, the end result of which will be to increase the traffic to that cave and lead to its gradual degradation? If so, I would be most surprised if your intentions met with their approval. The MOD are very concerned with all aspects of conservation at Castlemartin and have an impressive record on this score.

I'm sure you are an absolute angel. Unfortunately, not everyone, particularly non-cavers, can be said to be the same.

I would also like to become an active member of CSS and by that I mean caving and getting to know members, but also submitting more to the newsletter, something which the club would like more of its members to do.

So the real reason for writing this article is to raise your own profile and enhance your own position within your own club? Fine, nothing wrong with that if you are so inclined, it's what lots of other people do after all. So why not go and do some proper caving and find something worthwhile to write about rather than waste your time producing something that can only have a negative effect on the underground environment you claim to care so much about? Initially, I did find it odd that you should want to write about a cave you haven't yet visited but I can now see a strange sense of purpose to this. Once you do finally get there you can write a follow-up article extolling the virtues of this wonderful cave in the next issue of your newsletter. There you go, double exposure, not just for the cave but for yourself as well!

If you have seen once decorated places trashed then perhaps you can see why advertising the exact location of a decorated cave is met with some hostility.

Well said, Dunc. Tell you what, why don't you offer to take this guy for a trip into Easter Grotto some time?

One final point I would like to make is that I am astounded that a well respected club with such a fine conservation record as CSS should even consider publishing an article like this in their newsletter. Most disappointing.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:43:59 pm by NigR »

Online Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »
Increased foot fall? Is there no permit system in place then?

Anyone without a permit will be used as target practice lol.

I would think that anyone who has a permit should be given the right information to find the cave otherwise they waste the day and the permit not finding it?

Maybe his guide should just be for his club members only and the full information is only released with the permit?

P.s. Can we have ONE thread that does not degenerate into access debates!??? :-\
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline traff

• addict
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 02:12:16 pm »
Well it certainly raised my eyebrows to see this thread I started five years ago revived.

It is of my opinion that there is a very much unwritten rule on the location of Ogof Gofan, you don't publish it.
Not one single guide book gives you correct location. After my original posts in this thread I found Ogof Gofan and have visited several times.
I agree with NigR on this one:

The main reason the precise location of this cave has not previously been described in intricate detail is glaringly obvious to anyone who has visited it.

Which is exactly why I never came back to this thread to report.......

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • No longer visiting or posting here.
    • Striking a balance with caving news.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 02:16:59 pm »
P.s. Can we have ONE thread that does not degenerate into access debates!??? :-\
Or character assassination......
'adig-Adam-a bob-you-two-films-'vescence-'vescence Novello-you 'orses-leather-Novello a bob-Novello-you-Adam-'sis-'orses-'adig

Online NigR

• forum hero
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 02:33:54 pm »
It is of my opinion that there is a very much unwritten rule on the location of Ogof Gofan, you don't publish it.

Precisely.

Is there no permit system in place then?

No permit system and no gate - yet!

Hey, come on, Alex - this is in the 'Wales' section you know!

Offline JohnMCooper

• menacing presence
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 04:41:50 pm »
My personal view is that a group going directly to the entrance would attract far less interest from all the passers by, whether climbers or fishermen, than a party wandering round for hours (and on several occasions). If you want to preserve caves don't go and find them in the first place!

Offline ogof addict

• addict
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 05:57:22 pm »
part of caving is about going to try and find the caves. what will it be next? all the Welsh caves having a big arrow towards them? or a brown tourist sign?

different people have different reasons for going caving, and sadly it always to see the natural beauty. some people do it for the adventure, to go places that most other "normal" people cant find/go to, to get to places very few people can find, because it is an extreme sport, because they like the dark, because it makes a change from urbex, because their friends do it, etc. and not all cavers do it for seeing pretty formations. there is something very appealing about mud, rock and squalor with not even a hint of calcite or gypsum for some people.

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • No longer visiting or posting here.
    • Striking a balance with caving news.
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 08:10:10 pm »
If this post:
There will be a detailed description of how to find the cave in the next edition of the Chelsea newsletter, September / October edition 2011.
After some research and a chat with Brendan Marris I went on holiday to Pembrokeshire and whilst there took photos and notes for the 'Idiots Guide' article that shows exactly how to locate the anchor points for the cave, starting out from from the St Govens Head car park.

Didn't have any SRT gear with me though so my own 1st trip will have to wait for the time being.
Had been answered by polite PM, rather than with this post:
The main reason the precise location of this cave has not previously been described in intricate detail is glaringly obvious to anyone who has visited it. As has already been noted in this thread, it is in a popular climbing area and the relative difficulty of access would certainly not deter climbers, some of whom may not be as conservation conscious as cavers. If you visited Pembrokeshire on a more regular basis you would also be painfully aware of just how intrepid fishermen can be on occasion as well.

Be careful - your "Idiots Guide" could turn out to be well named, though perhaps not in the way you intended!

... then the consequence discussion might not have occurred. And then I and many others would not have started taking notice of a cave that might never have been brought to our attention so forcefully. How many others, like me, are now quite curious about this site?

I think those who responded wanting to keep this place low profile have shot themselves in the foot, regardless of how well intentioned all the responses might have been.
'adig-Adam-a bob-you-two-films-'vescence-'vescence Novello-you 'orses-leather-Novello a bob-Novello-you-Adam-'sis-'orses-'adig

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:00 pm »
Storm in a teacup.

The proposed article is probably unnecessary, but hardly anyone is likely to read it.

I doubt it'll make much difference to visitor numbers.

Let's get some perspective and calm down...

BTW. I've never been in Ogof Gofan, but I've walked the cliff directly above it a number of times. I have little doubt I could find it with a small bit of research. I'd probably get hold of a copy of the BBC documentary that visited the cave a year or two ago to get some clues...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:07:43 am by Rhys »

Offline TheBitterEnd

• forum hero
  • KCC
    • KCC - Join an active club
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »
The first rule of Ogof Gofan is:  don't mention Ogof Gofan
'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.' — Mark Twain

Offline Anon

• Nobody
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 04:50:46 pm »
The first rule of Ogof Gofan is:  don't mention Ogof Gofan
Ogof Where??

Just out of interest is the map in the SWCC newsletter (1994) inaccurate?

Offline Oceanrower

• menacing presence
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 06:56:29 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread I know, but.........

Seen this?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=609562

Offline southpembscaver

• Dickon
  • regular
  • UBSS, BEC
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 07:18:14 pm »
I'm wondering who thought it would be easier to carry a drill out to Saddle head than a couple of slings to utilise the stake and numerous lassoable blocks?  :confused:

Offline nigel n

• regular
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 09:05:40 am »
No!

If people cant find and use natural belays they shouldn't be there.  Thousands of people climb on the South Pembrokeshire sea cliffs every year without resorting to bolts

Offline John S

• regular
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 11:40:07 pm »
The old iron stakes are all removed and someone has (probably with a bar) taken up anything that seemed loose. This has left very few possible belays and all produce bad rub points over several metres of the rope. The 10mm ss bolt has had the hanger and nut removed so the best back up was useless as I didn't have spares with me. A good bolt on the edge could protect against this very sharp rock and give a decent and secure hang.
If climbers have done this then they should realize caving and climbing use ropes very differently and leave cavers fixed aids alone ! After all it took some finding to discover the bolt.

Online NigR

• forum hero
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 03:01:55 am »
Cambrian Caving Council are in the process of finalising an agreement with the MOD for access to Ogof Gofan and it is vital that nothing is done at the present time to place this in jeopardy.

Yes, there has been some recent misunderstanding concerning the placement of certain bolts but this has now been sorted out, hopefully to everyone's satisfaction, cavers and climbers alike. In future, NO more bolts will be placed anywhere on the Pembrokeshire sea cliffs by cavers and, if they are, they WILL be removed (by cavers too!). The bolts already in place at Ogof Gofan are being allowed to remain in situ but you will need to take your own hangers (or contact Stuart France for details of how to borrow some).

I am sure an official announcement will be forthcoming in due course but this should suffice for now. If anyone requires further information, best bet is to either get in touch with Stuart directly or send me a PM.

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 10:08:51 pm »
Following a meeting between myself on behalf of cavers with the other interested parties – landowner Defence Infrastructure Organisation and the National Park Authority and NRW professional staff - we now have an interim cave access agreement for Ogof Gofan.  In a nutshell, interested cavers should contact me first by email or phone ideally to discuss their plans, hear about any recent issues or changes to the system, learn how to find the cave itself and what gear to take, if such information is needed.  I will then pass their request on to the National Park Ranger who will issue one-off permits most likely by email.

Park at the St Govan’s Chapel car park.  This is only accessible when the range is not in use for firing practice, i.e. weekends, evenings, and some days midweek.  To avoid disappointment, is advisable to call the range office to check on upcoming closures for live firing before travelling there midweek.

Please take clean equipment and oversuit.  No digging in the cave.  No removal of samples or artefacts from the cave.  No new bolts or other fixtures to be placed.  No novices and maximum group size of four.  Only one such group in the cave at a time.  No military debris to be touched nor walking further inland than the coastal path.

If everyone will please operate this simple system, we stand a very good chance of obtaining a favourable long-term access agreement which will take a little longer as there are documents to be drawn up, and some committees and approvals to clear.

Stuart France
Cambrian Caving Council
Access/Conservation Officer

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 12:01:52 am »
A review meeting has taken place last week with the national park staff.  There has also been the annual Range Meeting with army staff, the DIO land agent and other stakeholders attending.  The Ogof Gofan access system outlined in my earlier post has clearly been working in 2015 to everyone's satisfaction and it should be renewed for 2016 on the same terms once it clears some formal committee approvals.

We have been asked to help get a professional bat survey organised during the coming winter and it is hoped that DIO can fund the work.

A small number of cave prospecting visits have been made into Range West this year.  To enter RW you need to attend a health and safety briefing meeting where the site rules and safety precautions are explained.  You then get onto the approved persons list.  The first time you visit RW you must take your passport to the Gatehouse and be issued with a photo permit.  On later occasions you simply ask for your previous permit to be re-issued.   You wear the permit badge while exploring on the RW area and hand it back to the gatehouse at the end of the day to sign out.  It is as simple as that.  The permit is specifically for looking for new caves, and not to enter them without explicit consent from the landowner, not for BBQs, not for walking the dog etc.

I can tell you that it is all very interesting on RW with lots of 100m limestone cliffs in pristine condition.  There are the biggest fossils I have seen in my life.  We haven't found any caves yet, but it obviously has potential.  The next H&S briefings run between Feb 2016 and May 2016 and once you are "approved" then your clearance will last until May 2017.  Anyone who got approved during 2015 has clearance until May 2016.  I'll type up the briefings dates etc and post it later along with a few pics of RW.

Stuart France
Cambrian Caving Council

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 12:45:57 am »

The first time you visit RW you must take your passport to the Gatehouse and be issued with a photo permit.  On later occasions you simply ask for your previous permit to be re-issued.
Stuart France
Cambrian Caving Council

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant, so now you have to have a passport to go cave hunting in Wales  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 09:53:26 am »
:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant, so now you have to have a passport to go cave hunting in Wales  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you have to have a passport to go cave hunting on a previously out of bounds MOD live firing range...
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 09:23:05 pm »
Well I suppose a photo driving licence would be acceptable ID too.

Range West is just a teeny bit different from your average limestone hill.  MOD and their partners fire a million pieces of ordnance a year here ranging from plain vanilla bullets to much bigger stuff.

It's not surprising is it, in this day and age, that security and safety is paramount in our host's thinking, and we are grateful to DIO (the land management part of MOD) that we have been given a welcome when there is no official business going on, subject to some pretty obvious T&Cs.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 09:29:09 pm »

You are embarrassing yourself by showing how out of touch you are. Try caving in Spain in a national park sometime.

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 09:56:54 pm »
I'm not embarrassed, considering the number of emoticons, I would have thought my comment would be taken as a joke, chill out Cap'n, we know passports are required for Spain-.

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 11:10:56 pm »
I attended the annual Range Meeting at the end of 2015 which is public meeting between the landowners (an MOD agency) and the public including representatives of recreational users:  caving, fishing, climbing etc.  This went well from out point of view with a commitment to continue the present cave access systems here.

Since then we've set up a conservation project to do some bat research in the cave, and the like, to run during 2016.  I've recently taken army and national park personnel into the cave so they know now firsthand what it is all about.  This also went down well.

Just a reminder to everyone please of the system for arranging a visit into Ogof Gofan on Range East at Castlemartin.  Just send me an email via the address on the Cambrian Caving Council website and I will pass your request to the ranger who will authorise it by email assuming the cave is not double booked and there are no concurrent military activities.  You'll also receive a Grade 5 survey of the cave courtesy of John Stevens and some notes on cave conservation and access, including where to park and how to find it.  Please give a couple of weeks notice if you can in case anyone involved in the permit process is not immediately available.

You don't need to attend the "Range Briefing" sessions simply to visit Ogof Gofan as those briefings only cover the extra safety precautions needed to enter the coastal margin of Range West where explosive rounds are fired.

Stuart France
Cambrian Caving Council
Access-Conservation Officer

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 08:30:28 pm »
I nicked the following description:

From the main entrance, a very tight excavated crawl excludes all but the smaller caver.  This leads to a well decorated passage and then a magnificent chamber some 50 feet by 30 feet with a great hollow in the centre surrounded by stalagmites.  Formed in a pool at the bottom are four huge specimens, one a column 14 feet to the ceiling.  The others are 10 feet, 8 feet, and 6 feet respectively.  Another 5 feet of the largest is submerged in the pool.  A further 150 feet of well decorated passage leads off.

The finds include Neolithic Peterborough ware pottery, worked flints and animal bones, possibly some Upper Palaeolithic remains.

How did Neolithic Peterborough Man get to live in this cave?

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »
Appears some pics would be nice --- anyone???---

Offline traff

• addict
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 08:22:37 am »
Just some snaps on a compact, nothing fancy, taken a few years ago. These really don't do the place justice.

Offline traff

• addict
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2016, 08:25:35 am »
And some more.

No comments about the rope rub please......

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2016, 01:43:14 pm »
Thanks Traff, some impressive formations in there  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline JasonC

• junky
  • KCC
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2016, 05:12:48 pm »
Seconded  - thanks !
And the entrance pitch looks interesting too...

Offline todcaver

• player
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 08:27:08 am »
I'm going to get down there handy before you come up with any more Suggestions for the arse holes -  I dunno , birth certificate stuck to forehead  -
What if you don't drive , and don't have a passport = no entry to a cave that I own just as much as anyone else !    :shrug:   

Online Les W

• Hard cavin'
  • forum hero
  • Wessex Cave Club, UCET
    • Wessex Cave Club
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2016, 09:59:25 pm »
I'm going to get down there handy before you come up with any more Suggestions for the arse holes -  I dunno , birth certificate stuck to forehead  -
What if you don't drive , and don't have a passport = no entry to a cave that I own just as much as anyone else !    :shrug:   

I think you need to re-read the agreements above. No ID is needed to access Ogof Gofan, just apply for a permit to the CCC Access Officer who will deal with your request.

Photo ID is only required if you attend the Range briefing sessions which give access to Range West for prospecting for new caves. The ID is to allow MOD personnel to ascertain that you have been on the briefing and are permitted onto this live firing military range.

Stuart, thanks for sorting this out. We went to Ogof Gofan over Easter and it was superb, a real gem.
I'm a very busy person

Offline Stuart France

• regular
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2016, 10:05:48 pm »
I've been the Range Meeting (AGM) a week or two ago.  Landowner is happy with the way things are working out for Ogof Gofan, which is on Range East, so the same access system will operate through 2017, which is basically that your trip needs to be booked through me in advance so we don't get a load of different groups turning up all at once by chance.  Size limit 4 people per group.  Clean gear please.

Stuart France