Stal Stratigraphy and Climate Change

The Old Ruminator

Last nights Horizon's programme relating to Britain's earliest settlers was interesting from a caving point of view. ( BBC 2 " First Britains" )
The programme high lighted some work on stal stratigraphy in White Scar Cave whilst field work in sand deposits showed that a short climatalogical change of less than 200 years interval had a profound effect on farmers in the Scottish Isles.
I regularly pick up interesting layered stal pieces from our digs and this is the latest.

The two dark layers must indicate some quite different climate effect though being no expert I have not a clue what. In fact the upper dark layer rests on an old stal bank surface that may well have been fairly dry for a long period. Dating might prove of interest though for now I have not a clue how to achieve that. I actually have pieces away for dating in Canada and the UK. Nothing received back on either yet as the process is costly and my bits have to be added to other projects. If any knowledgable person could expand on this post I would be grateful.