• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Olympus TG-4 Drop Test

mudman

Performed an unintentional drop test of my TH-4 in OFD1 yesterday. On the Bolt Traverse I had my camera clipped to my belt in a fabric, slightly padded case. I heard a soft bump, bump of something falling and to my horror found it had managed to detach itself and taken the shortest route to the streamway. Fearing the worst, we made our way down to the stream via the second shortest available route and headed back up steam looking for it. Luckily I found it in a small pot in the streamway.  Without the red wrist strap I would probably have missed it.  With some trepidation I examined it and all appeared well and I breathed a sign of relief when it busy into life again.  It seems to have suffered no ill effects apart from the mode getting changed at some point and is still in full working order.
So after a fall of something like 10m with a few bumps on the way down, I think I can attest to its rugged nature.

Duncan S

I dropped mine while caving in Spain.
Steep slope with a hand line, TG-4 fell off the rock I had placed it on and it bounced down about 20ft.
A fairly hefty dent on the front plate and scratching, but relieved to find it still worked. It has performed fine since then too :)

I suspect a few people will be along in a mo to say theirs didn't survive normal use. So best to get a few positive experiences in before this thread goes downhill :)

mudman

I was very impressed mine survived the fall. I suspect the soft case helped protect it but I am still impressed.

I am going to have to arrange something better to hold on to it by. This isn't the first time I've almost lost it. I like to slip it inside my oversuit and then I can whip it out for a quick shot using the hand held starlight mode. Dropped it in the stream in Porth yr Ogof once and again the red wriststrap helped me find it. I suspect I won't be so lucky next time.

I'm thinking that a large pocket added to the inside of my oversuit would be an idea. I may try that.

The Old Ruminator

As stated before my TG 2 slithered and bounced down the steep slope under Balch Cave higher entrance. Fine. Conversely I got a scratch on the lens of the TG4 on it's first trip. Luckily it does not show up in the image. The TG2 has taken at least 2500 images in Vurley plus many others and still works fine.

First trip with my nice new red TG-4 was down Hunters Lodge Inn Sink ( Estelle & friends are doing a fantastic job down down there  :bow: )

I hadn't realised it was slightly bigger than the previous model and the flap on my arm pocket where I kept it hadn't closed properly. As I stepped off the bottom of the ladder I ducked down and the TG-4 travelled all the way down the incline all on it's own (wasn't it clever  :eek: ) Caught it up, turned it on and to my great surprise, took some nice photo's  8)

I am afraid to say though that some time later it didn't like being left in a bag of food, fish, yoghurt ..., for 2 weeks.  When it was recovered from the maggoty mush  :yucky: it tried a couple of photo's and then gave in  :(  I did recover the photo's already on the flash card though  ;)

I've bought another  :coffee: