• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

Broken Spring Pot

Skyrmy

Poked my head into this whilst passing on Saturday but stopped at a suitable turning point at the start of a low (flat out) gravelly crawl.  The continuing passage appeared to bear left and looked fun  :-\  but as there were others waiting on the surface, an exit was made.

Any info on this?

Beardy

there's a write up in

Caves & Caving, Number 48,Broken Spring Pot - West Kingsdale, Page 14 Summer 1990

Beardy

alastairgott

I think York Uni had a fad of going in Broken Spring and a few of the other sillier named pots round there.

though their write up is short you may be able to get answers from some of them on here http://www.yucpc.org.uk/trips/report.php?id=1242

Sunday February 12th 2012

Members present: Mark Sims,  Mike Rippon,  Phillip Mcdermott,  Toby Buxton

Report by Mark Sims
The trip had been in the planning for a long time, and this was it. The others were off to Heron, but we didn't fancy that. Not one bit. We were going for it. Big time. Toby, as usual, was having a lie in, but I really did fancy the trip so whilst I knew it was cruel, he had to be forced out of bed. He did not look happy.

It was pretty foggy as we left the YSS, but just coming off the '65 the mist cleared and it was a stunning day. Passing the Valley layby there were lots of cavers waving at us for some reason, but luckily the normal layby was empty. Crazy.

The walk up was a bit of a slag, as usual, and we were struggling with our hangovers but soon we were at the top and had found the entrance shaft. After the impressive chamber at the start, I think we knew what was coming...the next section being not quite so large, but we were going well, and before long we'd done it. Easy.

On the way back out, Mike popped is camera out and took some photos before we decided we'd best get back to YSS.

Pitlamp

As you're interested in names, Broken Spring Pot was found in the 1970s by a CPC party. Phil Smyth (CPC and YSS) was involved; he'd taken his rag topped Series 1 Land Rover along the Turbary Road and had broken one of the leaves on a spring. I was there, so it'll probably be in one of my earliest caving diaries, if anyone really needed to know the date or more details. (But it'd take some finding, so perhaps best if you only ask if you really want this information. The story of the broken spring may be mentioned in a CPC Journal around the time anyway - perhaps in the "For The Record" section.)

Incidentally this vehicle was quite "characterful". I was once in it with Phil when a wheel fell off between Skipton and Kildwick. It also had an exhaust fitted which had originated from a fork lift truck. Using some combination of clutch and throttle it was possible to make it backfire very loudly, at will. He used to do this at opportune moments, often to announce his arrival at a cavers' pub.

Happy days, before vehicles weren't at the mercy of some malevolent computer in the sky somewhere . . . . . .  :)

Pitlamp

Speleotron said:
Did he get his Land Rover fixed at Dave's Autos?

Dunno.

Knowing Phil he probably sorted it himself with rudimentary tools. (This probably involved a large hammer.)

CatM

Pitlamp said:
Speleotron said:
Did he get his Land Rover fixed at Dave's Autos?

Dunno.

:LOL: Pitlamp, I believe Speleotron's question was not a serious one... I don't necessarily recommend watching it, but this short video will explain his question (and the initial motivation for YUCPC to visit Broken Spring Pot): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoV3KseNtHw

"Tractor Boy" quotes became a bit of an in-joke with some members of the club a while back (perhaps best not to ask why!), and further TB videos may also explain the apparent randomness of Mark's trip report quoted above... All very silly!  ;)

Pitlamp said:
As you're interested in names.......

It's always interesting to hear how caves/passages got their names though!  :)

Skyrmy

Beardy said:
there's a write up in

Caves & Caving, Number 48,Broken Spring Pot - West Kingsdale, Page 14 Summer 1990

Beardy
Back on topic - cheers Beardy. 

Struggling to find this online - can anyone supply scanned copy or simply tell me what is around the bend - Caverns measureless or sod all???

langcliffe

Skyrmy said:
Beardy said:
there's a write up in

Beardy
Back on topic - cheers Beardy. 

Struggling to find this online - can anyone supply scanned copy or simply tell me what is around the bend - Caverns measureless or sod all???
If you email the Library Mary should be able to get you a scan on Wednesday.

MarkS

Skyrmy said:

From memory, beyond the small chamber that it sounds like you were in, the flat out crawl leads off for what I think is a few tens of metres. It then intersects a narrow cross-rift which closes down almost immediately in all directions. It's just large enough to turn around at the end!

Skyrmy

langcliffe said:
If you email the Library Mary should be able to get you a scan on Wednesday.

Cheers John

MarkS said:
Skyrmy said:

From memory, beyond the small chamber that it sounds like you were in, the flat out crawl leads off for what I think is a few tens of metres. It then intersects a narrow cross-rift which closes down almost immediately in all directions. It's just large enough to turn around at the end!

Cheers Mark