• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Thanks

Madness

A few things recently have made me realise that a lot of people, that I don't know and seldom/never communicate with enable me to have an easy life when it comes to caving.

The landowners who allow access to the caves, the people/organisations that have negotiated access, the people/organisations who have equipped the caves with safe anchors, the people who have produced surveys and rigging guides, the owners of this forum and all the people who have responded to my requests for information/advice. Then there's the people digging and spending their own money finding new caves for me to visit. Oh, and the DCRA, who hopefully I'll never need but I know they're there if I ever do.

I'm sure the list would grow given a bit more thought.

We'll I'd like to say a big 'Thank you' to all of them.

I think we tend to take these people for granted. I suspect mainly because we don't know who they are.

Goydenman

Great work done by so many yes I agree...hope it prompts you and others (and me) to put something in to benefit others as well as enjoying what we get from caving

andrewmcleod

Madness said:
[...]

I think we tend to take these people for granted. I suspect mainly because we don't know who they are.

Agreed! I think I am also overdue putting something back into caving...

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
A few things recently have made me realise that a lot of people, that I don't know and seldom/never communicate with enable me to have an easy life when it comes to caving.

The landowners who allow access to the caves, the people/organisations that have negotiated access, the people/organisations who have equipped the caves with safe anchors, the people who have produced surveys and rigging guides, the owners of this forum and all the people who have responded to my requests for information/advice. Then there's the people digging and spending their own money finding new caves for me to visit. Oh, and the DCRA, who hopefully I'll never need but I know they're there if I ever do.

I'm sure the list would grow given a bit more thought.

Hi Madness, one of the 'owners of this forum here' - you've fair made my day, thanks very much  ;)

In addition to the above, I'd like to thank every single person who posts on the forum  (y)  ;)

Madness

Pegasus said:
Hi Madness, one of the 'owners of this forum here' - you've fair made my day, thanks very much  ;)

I'm glad. Unfortunately, we sometimes don't show appreciation to those who make our lives, caving or otherwise, better or easier.

What started me thinking about this originally was my email to a landowner regarding access to a cave on his property. He was very nice and obliging in his reply. Unfortunately there was an issue entering the cave. I have since rearranged a visit and once again he came across as a really nice chap. That got me to thinking of how generous it is to let cavers visit the cave, which is essentially in his garden. That led on to me thinking of the person who put in the work of negotiating access to the cave with the landowner, and so on, and so forth.

You see, there's a lot of people who are doing stuff that benefits my caving, but generally go unrecognised.

cavemanmike

ye totally agree.
we spent years trying to get access to a cave with second hand information and third parties all being part of the equation  when a well respected local caver pointed us in the right direction (land owner).
who turned out to be a really nice chap and like magic where in.
so yes without good people behind the scene where would we be. :clap: :clap: