caves near train stations

nobrotson

So, like quite a few students, I don't have a car, and therefore I am trying to compile a list of worthwhile caves near-ish to train stations in the dales that can be visited by small student groups mid-week or during holidays. Organised by train station I have:

Horton-in-Ribblesdale (by far the easiest train station to access with the most caves nearby):

Within reasonable walking distance:
- Sell Gill
- Little Hull Pot
- Hunt Pot
- Nick Pot
- Juniper Gulf
- Rift Pot (Allotment)
- Penyghent Pot
- Dale Head Pot

Slightly further afield (not as easily doable in a day with a train to get back for):
- Gaping Gill
- Fountains Fell

Equidistant between Horton and Ribblehead:
- Alum
- Washfold

Ribblehead train station:

- East Kingsdale (I know some former ULSA members used to get the last train in the evening, cave through the night and then get the first morning train home!)
- Bruntscar caves (I don't know many caves here and they have a reputation of being very wet)
- West Kingsdale, if you really like walking that far to do a 3 hour trip

Dent train station:
- Ibbeth Peril (I have never been here but heard its good)

Anyone got any other recommendations?

Cheers, Rob/Wob

nobrotson

Bus 874 to Kettlewell is a good idea, cheers. only problem is that there is only 5 hours between arrival and final return trip to leeds, so you'd have to be slick!

Tommy

droid said:
272 bus from close to Sheffield Midland gets you to Castleton.

If he's coming to Sheffield there are enough of us SUSS reprobates around with cars that a lift may be possible... Depends when he last showered.

Kevlar

nobrotson said:
Bus 874 to Kettlewell is a good idea, cheers. only problem is that there is only 5 hours between arrival and final return trip to leeds, so you'd have to be slick!

Camp overnight! You are going to be on holidays...
There's a decent campsite in Kettlewell, not a huge walk from Dow / Prov.

nobrotson

Kevlar said:
nobrotson said:

Camp overnight! You are going to be on holidays...
There's a decent campsite in Kettlewell, not a huge walk from Dow / Prov.

that option did occur to me. I think dossing in the entrance to Dow cave is a cheaper and more appealing option personally but I guess there is a good pub in Kettlewell...

Roger W

nobrotson said:
.....I think dossing in the entrance to Dow cave is a cheaper and more appealing option personally...

That's why these caves need gates on 'em!          ;)

ianball11

Train to Ribblehead, walk to Calf Holes, Dismal Hill, Old Ing, Birkwith, and train back from Horton.

Haytime Hole also up in Penyghent.

Ribblehead to Washfold Pot, Black Shiver is a big walk from Ribblehead but you could maybe thumb a lift along the road. 

Clapham station to Gaping Gill, I think there is a later train home from Horton, it's about the same distance from Horton to GG main shaft, so Bar Pot is little closer to Clapham.  Hurnell Moss is good for a rainy day if you take a compass etc to avoid going via Bar Pot and as you go through Clapham you can stop in the village shop or at the showcave for supplies.

Another option is to get a bike with a pannier rack, although you are a pain on the train, once you're off at Horton etc, you've got a huge area you can cover, if you trust leaving your stuff out in the open.

I will suggest that if there a few of you, a hire car may be cheaper, depending on your insurance situation.

I've got to the Trouser flake in Nick Pot on my own going on the train to Horton and I've got to say, unless you have 9mm maybe, the rope weight gets a little oppressive, especially if it rains.  I should have carried stuff in a rucksack not a tackle bag!

I can't find it at the minute, but there is an article I think in the CPC Record about caves from the station at Horton, I think mostly covering the ones you have already.

alastairgott

Train to Matlock (Derbyshire), then you've got plenty of the Matlock mines (and caves) to go at.

Train to Grindleford (Derbyshire), if you're lucky you might be able to hitch to Stony middleton?

martinb

alastairgott said:
Train to Matlock (Derbyshire), then you've got plenty of the Matlock mines (and caves) to go at.

Train to Grindleford (Derbyshire), if you're lucky you might be able to hitch to Stony middleton?

Matlock Bath may be a better option for Youds via Gentlewoman shaft, via a 45 min walk uphill, and slightly further for Masson, Brightgate, etc.

Cromford and Matlock Bath for Wapping/Cumberland Complex

Best option for Stoney Middleton is Chesterfield and then 170 or 66 bus - I think both may call in Eyam as well.

Buxton for Plunge Hole, Axe, etc, but a looonnnggg walk to most caves apart from Poole's Cavern.

Hammy

When I was a student I used to stick my thumb out and hitch to wherever I wanted. Skye, County Antrim, Lakes, Wales you name it! My daughter hitched to Marrakesh a couple of years ago.

nobrotson

Hammy said:
When I was a student I used to stick my thumb out and hitch to wherever I wanted. Skye, County Antrim, Lakes, Wales you name it! My daughter hitched to Marrakesh a couple of years ago.

hitching's not that reliable these days, unless its a short distance or you're up in scotland. In new zealand I hitched everywhere and I miss being able to do that quite a lot.

nobrotson

ianball11 said:
Train to Ribblehead, walk to Calf Holes, Dismal Hill, Old Ing, Birkwith, and train back from Horton.

This is a cool idea.

ianball11 said:
Ribblehead to Washfold Pot, Black Shiver is a big walk from Ribblehead but you could maybe thumb a lift along the road. 

Did think about Chapel le Dale but its a bit far for some people to do. If it was going to just be myself then distances etc aren't so much of a problem but in my experience getting other people to be as excited for carrying lots of kit a long way is hard.

ianball11 said:
Another option is to get a bike with a pannier rack, although you are a pain on the train, once you're off at Horton etc, you've got a huge area you can cover, if you trust leaving your stuff out in the open.

I will suggest that if there a few of you, a hire car may be cheaper, depending on your insurance situation.

I've got to the Trouser flake in Nick Pot on my own going on the train to Horton and I've got to say, unless you have 9mm maybe, the rope weight gets a little oppressive, especially if it rains.  I should have carried stuff in a rucksack not a tackle bag!

I can't find it at the minute, but there is an article I think in the CPC Record about caves from the station at Horton, I think mostly covering the ones you have already.

We do hire cars regularly as a club, and a lot of people are getting their own cars these days, but if you are like me and a few of my mates and don't drive then this isn't an option. If it was just me, I would definitely be taking my bike! As for the rope, I've got some 8mm at the moment which is really nice for such instances but obviously requires care and isn't enjoyed by everyone.

Essentially, cave and transport choice would depend on the group. thanks to all for the suggestions!

alastairgott

Dunno, just thought this Leeds lot might like some of the stuff stoney has to offer.

A long walk to a cave with a high stench of Fox.

A through trip from a mine to the delights of Carlswalk.

You could even put them to use in L.P. or up at the Garden dig in Eyam.