Mandale Mine Access

Jenny P

Unfortunately it has proved impossible to maintain safe access to the site using the ?Derbyshire Key? system because persons unknown persistently leave the gate open after undoing the bolt.  Lathkill Dale is very popular with the general public and it is essential that the site is kept safe to avoid danger to children. 

Reluctantly DCA and Natural England have had to change the arrangements and will now be installing a combi-lock, so cavers wanting access will need to obtain the code in advance.  To do this, please email the DCA Access Officer (using the standard email address as per the DCA website), giving your name and the date on which you wish to visit.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Sec.

Jenny P

A further point:

Please note that all cavers visiting the site are required to hold Public Liability Insurance, e.g. BCA
Membership insurance, or similar.

Iain

Hello Jenny,
I went down Mandale a week ago and the "usual" adit entrance is still "derbyshire key"; the combi-lock is on the Aqueduct Level Entrance.

pwhole

Jenny P said:
A further point:

Please note that all cavers visiting the site are required to hold Public Liability Insurance, e.g. BCA
Membership insurance, or similar.

How is that policy monitored, just out of interest? I've never seen a ranger when I've been out there. Or are we meant to give our membership number when we apply for the code?

Jenny P

Or are we meant to give our membership number when we apply for the code?

I suspect this is what is meant - I don't think anyone is checking "on the ground".

Dated 5 Sept.  I went down Mandale a week ago and the "usual" adit entrance is still "derbyshire key"; the combi-lock is on the Aqueduct Level Entrance.

OK, need to clarify this.  I "understood" it was the adit entrance but I didn't actually ask and I'm not familiar with the site myself.

Jenny Potts,
Hon. Sec. DCA