Author Topic: Bad air / pollution / bad bolts / etc  (Read 5871 times)

Offline bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
Bad air / pollution / bad bolts / etc
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:59:59 pm »

This topic only for updates on current alerts. Keep all discussion regarding any particular alert to seperate topics please.
=:blubba:=

[ nsfw ]

John S

Re: Bad air / pollution / bad bolts / etc
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:10:19 pm »
Agen Allwedd

It seems that after a 50mm downpour on 4th Sept 09, Biza Passage has been reported as being sumped. This is the first time for decade or more!
On investigation (12/10/09) I found Lower Main Stream Passage had had a 1.2m high flood through it. (foam levels) Unfortunately I was unable to get to Biza Passage to confirm if it was sumped.

Could anyone trying a Grand Circle bear this in mind and confirm or deny the report.

John S

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:16:37 am »
Agen Allwedd

It seems that after a 50mm downpour on 4th Sept 09, Biza Passage has been reported as being sumped. This is the first time for decade or more!
On investigation (12/10/09) I found Lower Main Stream Passage had had a 1.2m high flood through it. (foam levels) Unfortunately I was unable to get to Biza Passage to confirm if it was sumped.

Could anyone trying a Grand Circle bear this in mind and confirm or deny the report.

This has now been checked out (thanks Bob T.) and the round trip is open but tide lines show that it had sumped !

Offline ditzy

• The ditzy caving
  • forum hero
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:52:04 pm »
http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?t=3936
report of adit collapse and big cracks appearing above quarry face at maenofferen, cookes adit
these pics are from ages ago, this area is now very unstable if still there and best to stay well away

Offline jaswa

• Tim Watts
  • regular
    • United Cavers Exploration Team
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:26:23 am »
 Afon Meirchion Cave (Lower) - grid ref: SJ 022 694

During trip on Monday 12th July 2010, Gas Alarm went off with O2 level at 19.2% at start of first sand crawl.  H2s, CO and H2S were all zero.

2 other individuals who had already passed through the crawl and proceeded approx another 30m returned ok. 1 member reported slight headache, other member had no side effects. No reading were taken further into the cave than the first sand crawl, but general concusses was that the levels were well below 19 further in the system.

Sand had been disturbed and the system was dry at the time.

Tim Watts
United Cavers Exploration Team: http://www.ucet.org.uk/

Offline jarvist

• obsessive maniac
  • Imperial College CC / Northern Pennine Club
    • Imperial College Caving Club
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:57:00 pm »
I'm unhappy to report that there was an extremely strong smell of Diesel / Fuel Oil in the entrance to Little Neath (Sunday 16-10-11). The bypass was totally clean. By the time you got to Sand chamber it wasn't too bad, but it was really quite nauseating at first.

The flood debris didn't smell any worse than the cave itself, and there were no noticeable oil droplets in the puddles on ledges.

You could smell it outside in the river itself, so hopefully it's just a small contamination that is passing through right now.

Offline damian

• forum hero
  • Hades CC, YSS
    • Hades Caving Club
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:52:09 am »
For info I've just forwarded your info to the Cambrian Conservation Officer, jarvist.

Offline SteveBonham

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »
Smell of oil in entrance series of Little Neath on Saturday 12th October. Also where the floor was smooth it felt very slippery as if greasy.

Online Spike

• creeping sceneman
  • menacing presence
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:56 pm »
The knotted rope up the climb beyond the duck in Ogof Fechan is badly frayed.

The previous party had left the rope pulled up and as a result we didn't see the climb to begin with. Having seen it though, we left it pulled up after us. The rift can be free-climbed or it can be bypassed by the awkward thrutch to the left as you exit the duck, you can then drop the rope down to the rest of your party having made your own assessment of it.