Marilyn WARNING LOOSE BOULDERS!

DaveR

During the BPC GG winch meet we received reports of a dangerously poised loose boulder near the top of Niagra pitch. This area has been getting eroded back over time which had exposed an elongated boulder about 50 cm x 50 cm cross section, with about 70 cm hanging out of the loose fill wall about 3 m down from the pitch head. After confirming it was loose in its socket, the pitch was derigged (the rope was badly damaged anyway by other debris falling on it) and the offending small coffin sized Henry was despatched down the pitch producing a most satisfying set of bangs. I'm pretty convinced it reached the bottom, but for obvious reasons I was reluctant to go back down to check!

So, bear in mind that the pitch head area is loose and there may also be debris on the ledges on the way down. The pitch was left derigged, but this is likely to be rerigged soon to facilitate access for the ongoing resurvey project.

Take care!

Dave

hannahb

Can anyone who's been down Marilyn recently shed any more light on the loose stuff, and the rigging to avoid rubs on the second pitch?
Thanks,
Hannah

Beardy

We had a quick trip down on 20th June 2015 - I was pleasantly surprised with how nice a trip it was.

The pitch in question has an awkward pitch head but plenty of bolts to rig off
The rope then descends perilously close to a wall of fill (where i assume that the loose boulder was trying to escape from). But it was possible to dangle just clear of it, the kind of place where everyone needs to be very careful.
Even so I think the odd "pebble" rattled down the pitch.

The pitch lands on ledge where there is some further rigging for the 2nd half of the pitch.   

Beardy

Pitlamp

Isn't it a case of getting the deviations set up right to avoid (as Beardy suggests) the very loose stuff as much as possible? Also waiting down the passage for one's turn to prussik up, rather than standing at the pitch base watching others, is advised. It's certainly the sort of pitch where care is needed though.

langcliffe

Pitlamp said:
Isn't it a case of getting the deviations set up right to avoid (as Beardy suggests) the very loose stuff as much as possible?

Unfortunately, it's not that simply, Pitlamp. The wall of fill at the top of the pitch started to dry out with the draught when the the cave was opened. As the front section dries, it drops and exposes the next section and the cycle starts again. I have seen ropes left on that pitch  that have been minding their own business, but got chopped anyway.

I've been down about a dozen times or so, but I now avoid it if I can as it has been getting worse.

Pitlamp

Thanks Langcliffe. Food for thought. What confuses me though is that the entrance shakehole draughted very well, long before the pot was discovered.

Reckon it could be dealt with by shoring or is it too big a job?

hannahb

On reflection I think I will see if I can get the permit swapped for a different entrance - doesn't sound like much fun to be honest, especially as there are entertaining and worthwhile alternatives. Thanks for the information.

Alex

I guess Dis is the route of choice, but its a wet one and a lot harder/longer.