brynmawr old dig

H

Huw Groucutt

hows it going down there these days? much action at the front or just lots of sheep rescues? Had a look the other day, just the first few metres, looks interesting.

M

mudman

Still muddy with no end in sight.
Haven't been down for ages now, bad elbows, now a bad back.
Shall have to have a look again sometime.
Did you see if a pipe was still in place putting water into a small hole just upstream?

H

Huw Groucutt

The pipe was their yes, not sure if it was actually doing its job though didn't look too closely.

How long is the dig now? and How does it end, total mud fill? or is there an airspac?

M

mudman

When we surveyed it last, it was 47m, will be slightly longer now, probably about 50m.
The end is total mud fill in all directions although there is the suggestion of an airspace on the right hand side.
Currently digging out the righthand side which seems to be doing strange things.
Think I may have to go back down there in the not too distant future. I reckon four to six people and a bit of thought and we could see some serious progress.
You interested or still under Carno's spell?

H

Huw Groucutt

I'm inerested yes. Carno is good for drinking lots of tea and lots of bangs, but not exactly a good prospect from a breaking through point of view.

M

mudman

We were talking about this dig again the other day. May have a couple of Sunday afternoons when the weather improves just to see if there is any chance of it going anywhere.
Well, I suppose it must go somewhere, it's a question of how much of between here and there is totally mudfilled. :?
Now, if we could find a draft, just a little one would do.... :soon:

PMN1

Huw Groucutt said:
I'm inerested yes. Carno is good for drinking lots of tea and lots of bangs, but not exactly a good prospect from a breaking through point of view.

How times change

H

Huw Groucutt

PMN1 said:
Huw Groucutt said:

How times change

haha

M

mudman

You been pinching more pipe?
How's it looking at the end? I haven't been in for a while.

PMN1

mudman said:
You been pinching more pipe?
How's it looking at the end? I haven't been in for a while.

We took a bundle out yesterday - looked like we were dragging a bloody big snake up the A465, cant wait for the local paper headlines.

We did a bit of digging clearing away some of your spoil so we could push staright on.

H

Huw Groucutt

looks good Barry, why have you gone right tho? Straight on at the end looks like the best bet to me.

M

mudman

We went that way as we found evidence that after it's flooded, that the water drained away in that direction.
It seems to be doing strange things at the end. There's that 'big' bit to the right, then there's also small features on the left and then there could also be straight ahead.
Trouble is that a survey shows the end to be at just above river level and as it seems to be going lower, it could hit the water table soon.
Have you been down there digging? I haven't been down for a looong time now as I'm away all the time. Is it looking any ddifferent or just as muddy?

H

Huw Groucutt

well me, phil, paul and chris were there last week getting the pipe and digging through your spoil so we can get your 'buggy' thing to the end. Had a look at the sharp end but didnt actually dig it, would be interested tho....

H

Huw Groucutt

went up there last night. Dug straight forward from the end chamber, looking very promising, for an eternal optimist at least.

M

mudman

People have been saying that Brynmawr Old Dig 'looks promising' for about 45m of solid mud fill and the last 20-odd years. You just happen to be the next generation to look at it and think it 'looks promising'. :LOL:

Probably break through in only a couple of metres digging. :wink:

H

Huw Groucutt

yea i guess.

I'll invite you along after we've explored the first few miles ;)

PMN1

mudman said:
We went that way as we found evidence that after it's flooded, that the water drained away in that direction.
It seems to be doing strange things at the end. There's that 'big' bit to the right, then there's also small features on the left and then there could also be straight ahead.
?

Well your 'side extension' doesn't drain wheras the way forward does

Hah hah, hah hah hah, hah

H

Huw Groucutt

hmm im not sure actually, the right certainly looked like it had had water along it. Hard to tell

M

mudman

[quote="PMN1
Hah hah, hah hah hah, hah[/quote]

So what is that supposed to mean?

:?
Did I say something funny?