Caves of South Wales - New Additions?

RobinGriffiths

Having returned from a very wet weekend's caving (or rather Dinas Silica), I've been having a re-peruse of Tim Stratford's book, and was wondering what new caves or major discovery would be contained within a new edition.

So, obvious caves would be:
Draenen
Tardd Rhymey
ap Robert
Carno Adit
Ogof Gofan (or maybe publishing was withheld)

Discoveries
Extensions/links in Darren Ciliau

Robin

Huge

You must have an earlier edition of the guide, Robin. Just had a quick look at my 1995 fourth edition and it has Draenen (ok, less than half the cave), Ap Robert, Carno and Gofan in there.

Amongst others, a new guide would include the other half of Draenen, Pont Gam, Crescent, Tarddiad Rhymney, Twll Clogfaen, Ogof Fawr and Llygad Llwchwr II.

It's interesting to compare the amazingly productive period of the mid 80's to mid 90's - Draenen, Daren, Carno (well over 100km between the three!), Ap Robert, Llanelly Quarry Pot, Nant Rhin, Rhaeadr Ddu, Gwaliau Gwynion, Blaen Onneu, Igam-Ogam, Dan-y-Lleuad Wen just to mention a few, with the period since, when much less has been discovered. Certainly no major systems. I suppose Foot and Mouth had a lot to do with it, with far fewer cavers around afterwards, resulting in a decline in the local clubs. A good proportion of what's been found since has been down to the Tony Donovan / Roy Morgan crew. I think there are more cavers around again now and more digging going on so hopefully the new discoveries will start coming a bit more often again.

RobinGriffiths

Huge said:
You must have an earlier edition of the guide, Robin. Just had a quick look at my 1995 fourth edition and it has Draenen (ok, less than half the cave), Ap Robert, Carno and Gofan in there.

Yes 1986 mine is. Must have been a good 10 years then.

Huge

Forgot to mention the various extensions in Aggy, mostly in the 80's but also some more recently of course. Bits and pieces in Danny too.

Plus, Stratford's guides covered the Forest of Dean as well. While the fourth edition has both Slaughter (Wet Sink) and Redhouse, plenty more has been found there since. Would any new South Wales guide also cover the Forest?

rhychydwr1

I will take it.  I have written out the titles on a sheet of paper.  Send me your fiver and I will email it onto you.