Some questions on Ireby Fell Cavern

Jack Hare

I'd been down Ireby twice before, both times with novices so we didn't get very far. After a chat with Badlad on Saturday I found out that there's a lot more to the cave than just the classic pitch series and turning around at Duke Street I. So this weekend I got a bit further and poked around various extensions. After looking at the survey I'm still slightly confused, so I'm hoping someone on here can help me understand what I've been crawling around in.

1) What's the way into Jupiter Cavern from Duke Street II? We followed the water upstream, and found a confluence where the water on the left runs down over a pile of boulders. Further upstream is a large flowstone with gour pools, and a tight rift lead off on the left. We followed this rift, found a rope hanging down and free climbed up in the rift a bit until we got a bit sketched out. Does the in situ rope lead up to Jupiter Cavern? We decided not to climb it - is it in reasonable condition, or is it best to enter via Cripple Creek and rig your own ropes down?

2) In the entrance series going down stream, just before the climb up to the Glory Holes, there is an inlet on the right (looking down stream). Through there is a climb up into an aven with multiple ropes coming down. One was labelled CUCC 2003 and rigged from a resin anchor - what does it lead to? The survey from the MMMMC (http://cavemaps.org/surveys/mmmmc/full/MMMMC%20Dec2010%20Ireby-Rift-Large-Low%20Douk.png) doesn't include it.

3) Where does the sump through to Notts Pot connect in Notts Pot?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Simon Wilson

Alex

You will need SRT to climb that rope, the top part of it is not climbable its in a wide shaft, the lower bit is also a bit sketchy. Now I have heard of different route by continuing along the rift and climbing up but I stopped when one of the boulders wedged across the rift became well un-wedged, so I don't recommend that (and I am not sure where it goes anyway).

2) In the entrance series going down stream, just before the climb up to the Glory Holes, there is an inlet on the right (looking down stream). Through there is a climb up into an aven with multiple ropes coming down. One was labelled CUCC 2003 and rigged from a resin anchor - what does it lead to? The survey from the MMMMC (http://cavemaps.org/surveys/mmmmc/full/MMMMC%20Dec2010%20Ireby-Rift-Large-Low%20Douk.png) doesn't include it.

Assuming I have followed your directions... The rope on the left facing in I believe is overshadow, very tight I believe, never done it. Bubbles is the one on the right, which connects after some rifty and a bit awkward passage to the hole in the entrance slope you climb down approaching Ding. Its normally left in-situ as its kind of a flood escape (but even that becomes impassible in really high water). The rope is now quite old!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The ropes up into Escalator rift were replaced just over a year ago and should be in good condition.  The anchors were also replaced a few years ago and I would not have any concerns with them myself.  The up pitches are quite broken but essentially you go up three pitches to reach Jupiter Cavern (another pitch up and then down one leads to Frink).  You will know when you have gone up enough as from the top of the pitch is a flat out crawl.  You'll then come to an 'aven chamber' with the next rope going to Frink and the crawling way down to the left goes to Jupiter.

From Jupiter there is a lot of good caving to be had.  The Cripple Creek route back to the Glory Holes is just one route.  Following the complex route upstream to Tripple Creek another.  The best route is to go back down the streamway route to return to Duke Street.  This route is much more obvious this way round.  The first part are some great little cascades to free climb down, then it is a question of following your nose through a choked rift including a squeeze.  You'll end up in the Escalator Rift streamway and soon be walking past the rope you first went up.  I always find this route very hard to do in reverse as it is hard to find your way up through the bouldery rift.  You'll see.

Alex

Oh cool, that round trip sounds fun. I guess I climbed the wrong way when I went up the rift from Dukestreet end.

Jack Hare

Thanks all, really detailed responses! I've only recently joined a club with a library, so most of the information I can glean at the moment is online.

I haven't seen the sump to ireby in Notts before, but I see where it should be on that survey - I'll have a look out for it next time I'm down there. My interest was mostly because of how static the water level in the canal seems to be - the mud on the walls went down almost to the water level, so it seems unlikely it ever floods significantly. In which case the outlet on the other side must be able to take a significant amount of water.

It's good to know there's another way out if things get quite wet. I wondered whether those ropes lead up to any extensions, but it seems both routes just head back to the entrance. Still, could make for a nice club trip to reduce waiting at the ropes by having multiple routes.

It's good to hear that the ropes up Escalator rift are good! I'm always a bit paranoid about climbing up something where you can't see the anchor. I definitely need to head back and explore more of Ireby.

How tough is a Rift/Ireby exchange? It looks doable but quite long.

Alex

My interest was mostly because of how static the water level in the canal seems to be - the mud on the walls went down almost to the water level

That don't mean it don't flood! It just fills up from the sump rather than takes a raging torrent. Take Goyden pot/New Goyden pot, glorious mud all over the place, yet I know for a fact it fills up to the roof. (the entire cave).

If I recall when a flood pulse came through the water in the canal was getting deeper.

Loki

How tough is a Rift/Ireby exchange? It looks doable but quite long.

hi,  i was involved with the exploration of the connection.  George North did a post a while ago about the link being made more friendly at the ireby end.  there has been other posts about it and the obstacles so i wont go into them here other than to say dont underestimate the squeezes and the boulder chokes to pass.  there are 2 tight squeezes and i think 3 loose boulder chokes.  also make yourself familiar with the location of the Rift end, getting out of Coates cavern into the passage to Temple of Doom can be tricky to find.  Other than that - enjoy!  Ian

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
A trip up North East Inlet is also worth a look.  There is a round trip here too which connects with True Grit and the other end of the Glory Holes.  I've never done the connection which is through low mud ducks which might need bailing.  However just a trip up the inlet streamway to the big stuff beyond and back is worth a trip if waiting for people on Well Pitch etc.