Information

ArranLaird

Hi there, I'm fairly new to caving and me and a few friends are wanting to get out as much as we can. Our plan is to visit Thistle and Runscar caves and was wondering if anyone had any tips/ information of these caves as the library near me only has Volume 1 and 3 cave books. I have found the surveys online but another information would be great !!

Arran

Pete K

Excellent choice of trip to start you off. They are like 5 nice sections of shorter cave with 2 sections of harder stuff.  Good mix of passage types.
Although they are frequented by novice cavers and school groups these 2 caves are not without hazards.
Both can be really awkward to locate and if you get fogged over be sure you know which way bank to your vehicle!
They are active caves so pick your day when the weather is settled. Some sections are fine in rain but some will sump or become very wet, especially the lower ones.
Take care around the top of Runscar where there is a loose rocky section near the connection to Scar Top cave.

Pitlamp

I think Pete K's advice above is spot on.

If there's any way you could access a proper caving library (chat up someone in one of the major clubs in the area?) then try and have a look in BSA Cave Science Vol.5 No.34 pages 103 - 110 (inc survey). This is very useful.

If you're new to caving you may find the idea of trying to get at a caving library initially quite daunting but they're wonderful sources of information and, if you ask in the right way, you'll probably find plenty of more experienced cavers willing to help. If you get in the "library habit" early in your caving career you'll really reap the rewards later on.

But don't worry too much if you can't find a copy in this case, as it's by no means vital to enjoying a trip in there.