Author Topic: Third Caving Trip  (Read 2133 times)

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
Third Caving Trip
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:24:51 pm »
Hi, am taking my son (13) caving to the Dales this weekend. We did Great Douk and the Churns last year, and am wondering what what would be a good third trip. I've been mulling Dow Cave vs Birkwith or Ribblehead, although apart from Calf Holes and Katnot I'm not familiar with Birkwith or Ribblehead.

Robin

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Re: Third Caving Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:19:17 pm »
Calf Holes through to Browgill is a great little trip.

Valley Entrance into Kingsdale Master Cave.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »
Of the ones you mention, I like Dow Cave best.

Offline steviet_scg

• stalker
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:08:15 pm »
I quite like Jingling and Rowten caves as another alternative.

Offline glyders

• menacing presence
    • ACS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:11:47 pm »
On Birkwith:
Old Ing is a decent trip for novices. Some pretties and some nice passage shapes. Bit of fun with water.
Birthwith Cave (IIRC) has a lovely outdoor canyon below the entrance, complete with bolts, and the cave up to the canal is pretty simple.
If you don't want to ab into Calf Holes, a trip in and out through Browgill is still rather nice - the view back up the Holes is grand.

Offline glyders

• menacing presence
    • ACS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 09:13:31 pm »
If you are into doing some abseiling, how about Yordas?

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:17:02 pm »
Thanks all. Yes, the only downside with Dow is  distance from Ingleton. Mind, can always come back via Malham for a bonus walk.

I'll get abseiling on agenda for next year!!

I'd forgotten about Rowten/Jingling caves. Could be a Sunday option.

Currently leaning towards Birkwith, but shall see if any others are suggested.

Robin

Offline TheBitterEnd

• forum hero
  • KCC
    • KCC - Join an active club
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 07:59:08 am »
If the weather is dry, Sunset to the top of the last pitch is a good outing. A handline is a good idea and depending on size/ability you might want a short ladder for some of the climbs.

As suggested above, Valley Entrance to Kingsdale master cave and on to Swintso Aven makes a reasonable trip, you can do the passage past toyland as well for extra crawling.

Birkwith is quite a short trip but fun if you take an inflatable but in that area I would favour Browgill as IMO it has more variety and there is also the upstream part of Calf holes as an extra option. Also Redmoss is a good trip but a fair walk and would probably need gear on the climb.

Skirwith is worthwhile although quite a lot of crawling above the waterfall climb, you don't have to do the wet bit at the end.

It does depend on confidence/ability, obviously, but my 13 year-old has done most of the above and I would consider any of them suitable for him.
'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.' — Mark Twain

Offline malcolm smith

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:28:48 pm »
High Douk is good too. Little travelled I'd think, it's the upstream cave over the wall from Hardrawkin. In fact Hardrawkin to the pitch is nice, a handline needed for the short but very slippery waterfall climb at the entrance. Do those plus the Sunset stuff should tire him out 😀

Offline RobinGriffiths

• junky
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:07 pm »
Went for Dow, and a good trip was had. There isn't half a cracking spring on the left on the walk in. And there was what appeared to be a level of some sort below the entrance that I'd not noticed before.