Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Peak District / Re: Eldon Hole - Trip Report
« Last post by Jenny P on Today at 12:50:10 pm »
Not necessarily. 

The point made by Andrew was that bones get washed through from their original site and may give a clue to a former route from a swallet.  So, if you find hyena bones anywhere in a swallet above Peak Cavern, you may be looking at a potential route through into Peak where more of the bones finally came to rest.
For Sale / Wanted / Free Recycling / Re: UKcaving Free-cycle
« Last post by yrammy on Today at 12:49:19 pm »
The British Caving Library has the following publications free to good home (but if you want to make a donation we wont refuse)

Pioneer under the Mendips  - Herbert Ernest Balch  of Wells A short biography
The Little Neath River Cav e  by Standing and others. Includes a survey.
Ogof Ffynnon  Ddu published by the South Wales Caving Club 1969.

Must collect or use caver courier.

Email  Mary on bcra-librarian@bcra.org.uk
« Last post by Madness on Today at 12:39:20 pm »
Hyena bones have been found in a Peak Cavern dig so, if you come across any of these these, you're down into prehistoric layers!

And possibly digging in the wrong place!?
Idle Chat / Re: Wotzit?
« Last post by Pegasus on Today at 12:31:16 pm »
Nope. Nowt. Nada. Zilch. Bugger all.

Althought have just realised I've wasted 5 minutes of my life squinting like a pillock at the computer screen.  :wall:

:lol: :lol:  Sorry Martin, shouldn't laugh but your comment did make me smile  ;D
« Last post by alastairgott on Today at 12:29:21 pm »
Stand and Deliver!

Unlikely to be any muskets either, I guess they'd be quite valuable too.
Expeditions & Trips Abroad / Re: Amity
« Last post by pwhole on Today at 12:27:26 pm »
I enjoyed reading that, thanks.
« Last post by Jenny P on Today at 12:26:07 pm »
Do make sure all bones and the like are reported to Andrew Chamberlain as he is investigating bones found in cave digs to check the ages of the remains. 

Hyena bones have been found in a Peak Cavern dig so, if you come across any of these these, you're down into prehistoric layers!
Cave Science / Speleothem hydraulics
« Last post by Kenilworth on Today at 12:23:53 pm »
Is the typical dripping speleothem subject to much hydraulic pressure? The water dripping from straws, for example, seems to be pretty passive, but perhaps that's because of shape/suction? We squeezed into an interesting little chamber along a road cut and noticed this spray coming from a broken bit of drapery. Is this an indicator of typical pressures? If these conditions were sustained, what sort of speleothems might result?
https://youtu.be/5E4ibDeB33U
« Last post by pwhole on Today at 12:07:51 pm »
Don't forget there's meant to be at least one victim of a highwayman down there - and his horse. If it's true, I guess you're unlikely to find any dubloons on him, but he may have a fancy jacket you can prussick out in. Remember to take it off before you phone the cops though...
Peak District / Re: Peak District - Wezzit?
« Last post by cooleycr on Today at 12:06:03 pm »
And i'd always assumed it was the other round and i had upset you by taking dogs and very small children caving!  Anyway how do ya feel about those irresponsible people who go caving  including squeezes and srt pretty pregnant?  ;)

Hmmm, interesting one Katie, I suppose that if the pregnancy were quite advanced then there might be a concern about getting back through the squeeze (if it were a really long trip  :-\  ), but if that were the case then simply sit it out until the little one is born and then getting back through would be a doddle plus there would be the bonus of having the youngest ever caver in the family - SRT - carry a suitable kit bag and remember to adjust the harness !!!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10