Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Equipment / Re: Shrinking Oversuits
« Last post by AR on Today at 10:27:25 pm »
I tend to take my Landjoff into the shower with me (and my ropes) and give it a good scrub while showering, I don't think it's noticeably got smaller in the several years I've had it.
Film & Photography / Re: Best Yorkshire Caving Photograph to date?
« Last post by tamarmole on Today at 10:01:31 pm »
It beautifully encapsulates a pre SRT world of ladders and wetsuits  in much the same way as some of the Sid Perou films do; you can almost hear the jingle of the ladders as they are unravelled down the pitch.  Wonderfully evocative.
« Last post by chunky on Today at 09:51:27 pm »
Inspirational shot. The skill involved to capture this at that time is breathtaking.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

« Last post by cavemanmike on Today at 08:59:46 pm »
I wash my warmbac in a washing machine on cold , had it 5years and other than glue in patches on elbows and knees looks pretty dam good (it is a spare washing machine)

A spare washing machine.... in the lists of must-have caving kit, you never see this.  Yet how good it would be - speaking as someone who has now been banned from washing his undersuit in the family machine, never mind oversuit or ropes, and doesn't have space to site a spare - Caveman Mike, I envy you!

What you need to do is convince one of you mates(who has room in his garage) what a good idea it would be to have a washing machine for "our"caving gear  :lol:
Equipment / Re: Threading a mid-rope anchor
« Last post by mikem on Today at 08:28:48 pm »
If you are going to pass the end of the rope around the anchor point, as in Al's example, then you might as well tie a single re-threaded Alpine Butterfly and there's no need for a M/R or a carabiner.
You've got the same problem of potential abrasion in the middle of a rope though.
A webbing sling is always going to be a better and safer option, never mind what Simon thinks.
Mark
Although you needn't thread the whole rope around, you can just thread one of the butterflies...

I suppose if you follow a lot of student riggers who miss natural rebelays then you might need these!

Mike
« Last post by blackshiver on Today at 08:00:52 pm »
What an excellent post by "oldcaver" - as I said with the previous historical questions about Goat Inlet in Langstroth Pot - UK Caving is a great resource for people to learn from the people involved as to what actually happened "on the day"and "during exploration" from events long in the past that deserve recognition. I have had an original print of this hanging in my house for most of my life and your reply made my day. Thanks.
BCA / Re: bca meeting 25/3 /2017
« Last post by NewStuff on Today at 07:47:19 pm »
...ignored any edicts from the BCA and others and just gone caving.

Which is exactly what we are doing.  ;)
« Last post by JasonC on Today at 07:44:43 pm »
I wash my warmbac in a washing machine on cold , had it 5years and other than glue in patches on elbows and knees looks pretty dam good (it is a spare washing machine)

A spare washing machine.... in the lists of must-have caving kit, you never see this.  Yet how good it would be - speaking as someone who has now been banned from washing his undersuit in the family machine, never mind oversuit or ropes, and doesn't have space to site a spare - Caveman Mike, I envy you!
« Last post by cavemanmike on Today at 07:37:24 pm »
« Last post by droid on Today at 06:16:34 pm »
Shrinkage is often directly proportional to beer and kebab intake....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10