Dinas Silica (upper Silica) Mine

royfellows

Last week I was advised that the owners of the mineral rights for the Dinas silica mines wished to dispose of them as soon as possible due to insurance issues. Doing a bit of research, as I had never actually been there, the importance of the site soon became apparent.

Doing a bit more research on potential issues I felt that taking this ownership directly into Cambrian Mines Trust may be slightly unwise therefore a new company Natural Amenities Ltd was incorporated on the 16th March

It is a private company limited by share capital, and an associate company of CMT with CMT holding a 50% equity and a seat on the board.
The directors are Roy Fellows (Managing Director) and Cambrian Mines Trust (Corporate Director)

The sale of the Mineral rights which includes the mine has been agreed to the above company and papers forwarded to solicitors from whom I await contact.
First contact was on a Tuesday, new company was incorporated on line on Friday and Companies House confirmed incorporation at 10.0 on Monday.
Papers have been forwarded to solicitors and I await contact to arrange signing.

Access will remain unaffected and I am hopeful for the new company to work with NRW the landowners on an amicable basis.

The reason this route was taken was because I felt that a more risk efficient corporate structure was required, in plain language due to certain issues with the site I felt an extra layer of ?insulation? was needed.
I am well pleased with offers of help that I have received relative to managing the site and will be looking to form a local support group to act on our behalf in looking after the place.

rhychydwr1

There is a CD:

THE CAVES AND MINES OF THE SYCHRHYD GORGE by Keith Jones April 1992  Part 9 in the series Limestones and Caves of South Wales.  32 pp 15 surveys and maps, colour frontis, 2 colour 3 B&W photographs / illustrations.  This account presents detailed information on all the known caves and mines of the Sychrhyd Gorge.  This enchantingly beautiful area is found at the head of the Vale of Neath, 3 kilometres north east of Glyn Neath near the village of Pont Nedd Fechan.  The limestone gorge is 500 metres long and is located on the downstream end of the River Sychryd just before its confluence with the River Mellte, and is guarded by one magnificent portal- the famous Dinas Rock. Reprinted and revised August 2009.  SB out of print.  Text can be sent as an attachment.  poa. I can supply the whole book including surveys and extra photos on a DVD for a handling charge of ?3.00 including postage in the UK.

royfellows

Natural Amenities Ltd

I am pleased to be able to announce that the transfer of the Upper Dinas Silica Mines to the above company has now been completed. Future access is therefore secure and now within the mining community.

It is proposed to make a site visit shortly in order to assess safety and other considerations prior to setting up a local support group.

rhychydwr1

royfellows said:
Natural Amenities Ltd

I am pleased to be able to announce that the transfer of the Upper Dinas Silica Mines to the above company has now been completed. Future access is therefore secure and now within the mining community.

It is proposed to make a site visit shortly in order to assess safety and other considerations prior to setting up a local support group.

Just say if you want me to hold your hand Roy.  Remember I wrote the book.

royfellows

Sorry about short notice but will be at Dinas this weekend, my first visit. Planning on being there Sat morning, if anyone wants to talk to me and in the area I will be in a blue Skoda RS.
If not near the car will be up at the mine, look for white Ecrin with "RF" on it.
I need to formulate a management strategy, and as such I want to put together a list of stakeholders in the mine. Stakeholders can be individuals, clubs, outdoor centres or whatever.

We will need to maintain the place to keep it safe and assessable. I will also be looking at ways to improve access to the mine for divers who have heavy equipment to carry.
As mineral owners Natural Amenities Ltd have a wide range of rights over the land and own all artefacts of past mineral extraction.

rhychydwr1

Bad luck Roy, I will be on Mendip this weekend pushing sump 12 in Swindon.  I hope you do not get lost.  No worries, I will be back on Monday to rescue you.

robjones

Suggest you specifically contact Cambrian Caving Council and Cave Diving Group - both can circulate members via their newsletters, and that you also place a short article in Descent magazine - that way you will reach a wide cross-section of users of the site.

Peter Burgess

I think you can safely include WCMS as a stakeholder organisation, given that we are a mining history organisation, and have a base within 30 minutes drive of the site, and visit it from time to time.

royfellows

Peter Burgess said:
I think you can safely include WCMS as a stakeholder organisation, given that we are a mining history organisation, and have a base within 30 minutes drive of the site, and visit it from time to time.

I have found your website but can you please email me with preferred point of contact email address please.
roy@royfellows.uk

jiant

Hello Roy.

Members of Croydon CC frequent the site as it's so close to our hut.  The best contact is porbably myself as the Club Secretary.  I will send you my email address.

James.

Smudge375

Oh wow  ;)

I have dived Dinas a few times and it is a fantastic dive site and as far as Overhead diving goes it is a great place to learn and is realatively safe (but not for the untrained).

If access to the dive area can be improved, that would be fantastic news :)

It's a real shame I can't get to South Wales this weekend as I'm in Derbyshire but please keep us updated and any further developments.

royfellows

Hi people
Just an update.

The website www.naturalamenities.co.uk is gradually being populated with information including a map of the Craig y Ddinas mineral estate area so you can see our boundaries, as well as stuff about the mine.
The map is not too good, I will update it when I finally get the one from the Land Registry. I don't know when that will be as there is still a monumental backlog from the now 2 year old deadline for registering manorial mineral rights.

The boundary in the south west corner is at the Afon Sychryd, so it does not include the land belonging to Mr Nice Guy of the prominent notices, so no Blue Dinas. Also, the nice tunnel opposite the foot bridge at top is outside of our boundary although I believe a different landowner, no barbed wire or threatening notices, however the tunnel will emerge lower down on Mr Nice Guy's land.

I have cordoned off the left hand side just inside the entrance to the Upper Silica Mine and posted appropriate notices as a section of the roof is about to come down and its a place where people tend to congregate.

As far as improving access to the mine for those with diving gear I don't see reinstatement of the incline ramp as being a possibility as it would visually detract from the natural beauty of the waterfall and cost the earth to do.

I will be looking at reinstating the high footpath, currently blocked off for safety. This would be economically viable and not carry any great visual impact on the waterfall. When I have put together a study I will float it for discussion.

On Sunday I climbed up to the mine alongside the waterfall, not a very daring feat, I can see what the gorge walkers get out of it.

I am currently gathering a list of stakeholders, people who use the mine regularly so as to keep everyone in the loop. I have also had contact with NRW the landowners and other bodies. Its looking very positive